Jeff Porcaro Snap-Ups

piccupstix

In clinics Jeff often mentioned snap-ups as part of his practice routine. I'm wondering exactly what he meant. Was he referring to free strokes or was it something a bit more involved? We all know Jeff had incredible control and the slinkiest high hat technique...boy did he.

In clinics Jeff often mentioned snap-ups as part of his practice routine. I'm wondering exactly what he meant. Was he referring to free strokes or was it something a bit more involved? We all know Jeff had incredible control and the slinkiest high hat technique...boy did he.
Yeah he's demonstrated it on his DVD from a while back. I bet you can find it on youtube.

I had some video lessons with Kroy, he took me through some wrist stroke exercises to help develop snap ups and just wrist strength in general.

The JP video is definitely on YouTube, he sounds like a drum machine!

I studied with Joe Porcaro at MI in the 80's and he used these as a warm up.
Jeff also demonstrated this when he would show up at MI for informal talks, clinics, etc.

It's just a simple warm up where you use only the wrist and start at the top and snap the stick down to the pad or the drum and then back up again.
Almost like a free stroke but really just a controlled warm up stroke using a slow, deliberate motion to get everything going, first thing out.

Check YouTube to see it there if he's got it on that amazing video.
I still use snap up to this day when I first start warming up.

Eric

Yes that's what Kroy has me doing. And there's also a focus on the position of your hands, where you hit the snare, where the stick comes back and rests. There's no fingers involved, which is a weird feeling.

Virgil Donati also introduced this at the drum camp in a different guise - he was playing triplets and shifting the accent but it was the same principal, and he also said it was to warm up the wrists.

Back