US/Canadian exchange rates INSANE

techristian

Absolutely insane exchange rate now. Not just the rate itself but RATE of change. Last week the US dollar jumped another 4% above the Canadian dollar. What does this mean? I will be buying less stuff, including DRUMS from the US until ,at least, the rate stabilizes .

Currently a US dollar costs me $1.2452 and at the current rate I expect it over $1.30 within a few weeks.

Dan

Absolutely insane exchange rate now. Not just the rate itself but RATE of change. Last week the US dollar jumped another 4% above the Canadian dollar. What does this mean? I will be buying less stuff, including DRUMS from the US until ,at least, the rate stabilizes .

Currently a US dollar costs me $1.2452 and at the current rate I expect it over $1.30 within a few weeks.

Dan

I live right on the boarder with Detroit, in a place called Windsor Ontario. I usually buy anything worth much money in the States...barely purchased anything but Sticks and Heads in Canada. Anyways, yes I completely agree the rate is crazy and with the 13% HST slapped on Canadian's at the boarder for even shopping in the states makes it much much worse. O well guess I'll have to start going back to Long n McQuade!

Anyone here in the US order a kit from Canada? For a long time I wanted a limited edition Gretsch new classic kit in turquoise sparkle. No more in the US, but I've seen one or two listed online at Canadian shops. Is it a hassle to have shipped to the U.S.?

Anyone here in the US order a kit from Canada? For a long time I wanted a limited edition Gretsch new classic kit in turquoise sparkle. No more in the US, but I've seen one or two listed online at Canadian shops. Is it a hassle to have shipped to the U.S.?

I don't know if any shops would ship it across the border. I bought my USA in the States last year (cuz it was cheap) and tomorrow Im taking two floor toms back to the states to get sent to Gretsch because the wraps are coming off of them. There is a guy in London Ontario selling a Gretsch Classixc Bop kit (3 piece) new condition and is asking $1050 for it. Check it out on Kijijji and search for the London area...maybe he'll ship to you..

Found the link:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-drum-percuss...ed/1036207364?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I tried to buy it off of him for $750 but he wouldn't budge. It's a nice kit no snare though and its bop...so if you like 18" bd it might be a good buy and remember its Canadian dollars so your money is worth a lot here . Take care

Yeah, looks like I won't be doing much eBay shopping. Oh well, nothing lasts forever and it was fun being at par while it lasted. I wonder if it will get as low as it was in the 90s.

The dollar is surging right now vs. other currencies, apparently-- a euro costs $1.125, which is the lowest it's been in a long time. Which kind of sucks, because I've got a tour coming up in April, and I'm used to getting a ~30% bonus for all the money I make over there. A 15 euro CD sale would earn me ~$19 US. At this rate it'll be close to 1:1 after the exchange people have their fun with it...

ebay shopping for canadians suck right now. one is the exchange rate, the other is the new ebay international shipping system. it sends all packages through a central sort facility in the midwest, which makes no sense.
i bought a cymbal from a seller in seattle, just south of where i live. it travelled all the way to kentucky then back to BC - 3 weeks shipping. ridiculous ebay world. i don't like shopping there anymore.

Normally the lower dollar is great for exports and the movie industry here however this time the Federal Government is losing a ton of cash in tax from the oil industry; who knew almost all of our eggs were in that one basket.
This will all filter down to us soon enough and inflation is starting to get really out of hand already. Needless to say shopping on line with US stores can be costly however some things still work out as a good deal depending on what you are after. You can't really put a price on something that is valuable to you or is truly vintage.

I live in Detroit and one of my co-workers commutes from Windsor daily. He gets paid in U.S. dollars, so he's dancin' right now.

The Canadian dollar went below 80 cents yesterday; I went in to my local music store and anything brought in from the U.S. was immediately marked up.
Pro-Mark sticks are now $12 plus the 13% tax. Yikes!

Back