Gretsch Brooklyn COB or Pearl SE?

The Edge

I'm buying a brass snare. 6.5x14. I have good deals lined up for the Gretsch Brooklyn COB and the Pearl SE brass. I like the features on both of them. I've read good things about both of them here. Guys, which one would you choose?

$250 for the Gretsch. The Pearl is at $300. I'm trying to get the price down.

I've been using a Pork Pie BOB. It has been a great drum for me. Just looking to upgrade if i can get a good value.

$250 for the Gretsch. The Pearl is at $300. I'm trying to get the price down.

I've been using a Pork Pie BOB. It has been a great drum for me. Just looking to upgrade if i can get a good value.

What exactly are hoping that the Gretsch and Pearl will do that your Pork Pie won't?

I honestly don't see either of those as an upgrade to what you already have and rather, a lateral move. The only reason I'd buy either of those over the BOB you already have is if the price was cheaper or I much preferred one of them aesthetically more than the BOB.

What exactly are hoping that the Gretsch and Pearl will do that your Pork Pie won't?

I honestly don't see either of those as an upgrade to what you already have and rather, a lateral move. The only reason I'd buy either of those over the BOB you already have is if the price was cheaper or I much preferred one of them aesthetically more than the BOB.

The other upgrade you didn't mention is that the Gretsch Brooklyn 6 1/2" x 14" COB is made in the USA!

What exactly are hoping that the Gretsch and Pearl will do that your PorkThat's oneon't?

I hear ya. I need to hear opinions. I'm not sure it's an upgrade or not. I like to try new things. That's one of my motivations.

I'm moving away from the Gretsch now. I don't like the throw off and butt plate design. Impractical.

I don't think there's enough difference between the PP BOB and either of those two to make it worth while.

You have a good brass snare already. Why not add another material to your arsenal instead?

I don't think there's enough difference between the PP BOB and either of those two to make it worth while.

You have a good brass snare already. Why not add another material to your arsenal instead?

I was gonna say this too. If you already have a brass drum you like, how about a wood? Or an acrylic? Maybe talk to Andy about getting a Guru?

It was more of an experiment, really. I want to try something new. If I lik what I get, I'd sell the BOB. If not, I'd sell the Gretsch or Pearl. Mike, I've read your comments on the Pearl. Sounds like a great drum.

I was gonna say this too. If you already have a brass drum you like, how about a wood? Or an acrylic? Maybe talk to Andy about getting a Guru?

I have a Gretsch USA 5x14 that i love. Recently, I bought a Yamaha aluminum. It was a killer deal for $149. Haven't gigged with it, yet.

I recommend getting several snares made from different materials. As stated, it is probably not worth the trouble swapping out one brass snare for another so similar.
I just typed 'snare drum' into ebay and over 1000 choices came up.

If you want another drum, try something very distinctive. Pearls are OK, but every man and his dog has one of those.

I recommend getting several snares made from different materials. As stated, it is probably not worth the trouble swapping out one brass snare for another so similar.
I just typed 'snare drum' into ebay and over 1000 choices came up.

If you want another drum, try something very distinctive. Pearls are OK, but every man and his dog has one of those.

My dog does not play Pearl ;)

Tama, right?

BTW Bo. The internet company totally failed to provide me with service. I am still limited to my phone and was unable to check your videos.It costs too much to view videos on my phone.

Very sorry mate. :(

Tama, right?

BTW Bo. The internet company totally failed to provide me with service. I am still limited to my phone and was unable to check your videos.It costs too much to view videos on my phone.

Very sorry mate. :(

No worries, Wy. And I'm playing Pearl these days. But they didn't send any to my dog ;)

It was more of an experiment, really. I want to try something new. If I lik what I get, I'd sell the BOB. If not, I'd sell the Gretsch or Pearl. Mike, I've read your comments on the Pearl. Sounds like a great drum.
The Pearl was a great drum. I sold it to upgrade to a Black Beauty, though I still don't think I like the BB quite as much (I never had them both at the same time for a shoot-out). The Pearl had a 1.5mm shell, compared to the BB's 1.2-ish, and you could actually feel the difference. I like the BB enough so I won't bother undoing what I did, but sometimes an "upgrade" really isn't.

The Pearl was a great drum. I sold it to upgrade to a Black Beauty, though I still don't think I like the BB quite as much (I never had them both at the same time for a shoot-out). The Pearl had a 1.5mm shell, compared to the BB's 1.2-ish, and you could actually feel the difference. I like the BB enough so I won't bother undoing what I did, but sometimes an "upgrade" really isn't.

+1 to this. I actually owned a Black Beauty and bought the Pork Pie BOB as a backup.

Ended up liking the BOB so much that I sold the Ludwig, because it sounded close enough and it was A LOT cheaper.

Back