Thomas Lang Switches to DW

• Thread starter Tommycanuhearme
  • Start date
Thomas Lang lives in LA. DW is in LA and has better clinic support tha Sonor. Also endorsements are all about money. He's getting paid. Just like Erskine. DW's are not great drums in my opinion, and they're over priced. They have no projection. Lang is on the payroll with DW. Let's see how long it lasts.

No projection.. I'm not the biggest fan of DW drums but they project just like every other nice kit on the market. I wish they have die-cast hoops though..

Theoretically (sp), if any drumset could have perfect pitch, it would be a DW. Timbre matching..

Thomas Lang lives in LA. DW is in LA and has better clinic support tha Sonor. Also endorsements are all about money. He's getting paid. Just like Erskine. DW's are not great drums in my opinion, and they're over priced. They have no projection. Lang is on the payroll with DW. Let's see how long it lasts.
Please provide proof of DW paying their artists, or refrain from claiming that they do.

Please provide proof of DW paying their artists, or refrain from claiming that they do.

DW does not pay its artists to play its drums. This is just one of the many myths that surrounds endorsements. Thomas Lang just wanted a quality company, with great artist support, to assist him with his clinics and tours. DW make great drums. Sonor, due to problems with its holding company, have not been doing a good job of supporting their artists in the US and so several folks, inclusing Thomas and Derek Roddy, have left. Sonor still makes a quality product, but lacks the ability to support its artists in the way that DW does. Just a business decision, that's all - not "selling - out" - not compromising.

Paul

Pro - Check out the quote from Derrick Roddy about switching from Sonor to DW and about endorsements. I believe this pretty much covers the switch from Sonor to DW for both.

Haha...I love the internet! Haha

Looks like my marketing chops ARE getting better! LoL.

Look guys....this change was a very simple one.... and, nothing more than what I needed to do....to pursue what I want out of my drumming.

I love Sonor drums....always will.
But, that doesn't change the fact that there is no US (or world market) presence at all.

This is because...the Sonor parent company... only gives them enough funding to barely stay open and, in business.
Don't know why that is but, I've been asking ( along with plenty of artist, dealers, etc...) for Sonor to do something about there business model for years!!!!
Other companies spend 10's of 1000's of dollars on how they can stay and improve in the world market......Sonor doesn't.

They have no one here in the US to head up the Sonor division anymore....and, hasn't been in over 5 years. The one guy they DO have to answer any questions about the product.....is a keyboard guy!! Although, I like the guy just fine.
I believe that the parent company to Sonor keeps their hands tied....through minimal funding....because of the other interest that company has.

As an artist....I was feeling really guilty of asking anything from Sonor. I know they don't have the budget.
I never had any problems having Sonor Germany ship kits out to me....the problem I did have was them spending all this cash to get kits to me....when they should already be in the shops. That was the point the whole time.

Do any of you know how expensive it is to ship 10 kits for a clinic tour if nobody is paying for them? Then...what are you going to do with 10 used drumkits?

Another thing is....I don't want to do the clinic thing for the rest of my life....IN FACT, I don't even want to play drums "professionally"....
I DO want to teach, I want to go back to school, I want to play, breed my reptiles, I want to learn and grow....I want much more out of my life... than having my name on an artist roster at X company.
Yes, I want to play drums forever and will....but, I also want to secure future for myself and know that playing drums alone.....will not cut it for me.

I made this change mostly because I want to get more involved in the industry. Marketing, web stuff, sales, maybe product design, etc.

None of these things....I could do with Sonor..... Because they don't have the market presence for that.

In regards to DW....there was a simple reason I went there.....Don Lombardi.
Plain and simple.
Having access to the owner of a company, direct relationship, idea sharing, and future vision......well, you can't ask for any better than that.
The amount of brainstorming that Don and I have done already.......is very encouraging.

Most of the bigger companies have a board of directors....so, the chance of having this type of meaningful communication....was impossible with most any other company.

As I said....I was looking for much more..... than just my name on an artist roster.

The Drums are smokin' (the only issue I ever had with DW was the quality control at a certain point) But the same can be said for Sonor, Pearl, Tama, etc...just depends on the time frame you look at.
They have since fixed this....plus, was many years ago as well.
The company... only keeps going up. From the drums...all the way to Drum Channel and everything in between.

For me....I need a company that knows that it needs to change, a company that knows what the market is, a company that knows it needs to improve....
I know all these things about myself and being with a company that wants to grow and prosper in the same way.... makes me feel great.

Yes, DW had their share of issues over the years....esp, in the days of being in bed with GC.
You can't expect to push out that many kits that quickly and not have some issues.
The only reason it was DW that came up in that interview was because..... that's what the guy asked me about.

Had he asked me about Pearl or Tama....I would have given the same answer because any company building that many drums....is going to have more issues than companies that build a 10th of that.
It was never anything about the quality of the drums...more so than it was.... not paying attention to them as they were flying out the door. That's a persons mistake.

Companies live and learn....just like myself and, don't want to be with a company that doesn't anymore.

Thanks for pointing that out brother. I thought it was a little strange that the good stuff I mentioned about DW was left out. Haha.

No I wasn't...I was talking about DW.
I have never sat down and played one of those Fin kits....NOR have we ever had them in Rez. Here's the stores number....you can call and ask Jeff Lee (owner) if we have. 954-926-0204

Well, I don't like one more than another....haha. They both make great and different drums.
This is another thing I should try to clear up for you all..... these drum companies...DO NOT PAY drummers to play their drums!!!!!
There are WAY to many players that will play the drums for free. These companies don't need to hand out paychecks to drummers to play their drums.....when 98.9% of drummers out in the scene.....will do for free.

Yes, a company will compensate a drummer for his services (say for a clinic or appearance at a fest) but, to just collect a paycheck for taking a picture with their drums.......DOESN'T HAPPEN IN TODAY'S INDUSTRY!!!!!!

So, I didn't get a "sweat deal" or anything of the sort. I made my decision based solely on my experience with Don Lombardi and nothing else.
I saw that we could have a great business relationship....as did he...and, that was all that was needed.
I see a future for my drumming endeavors with DW.....I didn't with Sonor. Plain and simple.

At any rate.... I'm very happy.....having a direct line to such a wonderful company and people.....is just a dream come true.

Cheers for the support.

D.

Back