Brain fart

Andy

Honorary Member
Ever get a drumming mental block? You know, that ridiculously simple part that just won't register? Well, tonight's rehearsal was one of those times for me.

The guitarist pulled out a Floyd riff, & on the spur of the moment, we decided to run with it & jam the song. We found a clip on the keyboard player's phone, listened to the song, then started jamming. I kind of know the song, but have never played it.

Anyhow, at severe risk of ruining what little professional credibility I might have, here's me making a complete mess of it.

Warning - expletives https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Oo9k7FZMk&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy :)

Yes, that 6/8 timing can be a little bit tricky, eh? I'm always screwing up the snare roll intro to "I put a spell on you".

You can listen to a song 1000 times and drum to it on the steering wheel, bang on the kitchen table, desk, etc. When it comes time to actually play it on a kit, everything goes out the window. Can't tell you how many times I've managed to blow a simple lead or groove and train-wrecked the whole song. Hang in there! BTW, nice kit!

That was fun! lol

I think part of the problem was that you were wanting to play it at a quicker tempo. Combine that with the 6/8 fills, and well... thanks for sharing!!

One night on a gig with a blues and classic trio that I played in, the bandleader called out BB Kings "The Thrill is Gone." Can't even recall how many times we'd played it even at that point. I'm just going "Fine, ok"... the song starts and all of a sudden it was like I'd never heard it and just couldn't feel it. The guitarist and bass player just smiled and walked over to me, facing me and playing. Took me a verse to shake the cobwebs loose and then it was old hat like it should have been from the first downbeat.

But, for crying out loud for a minute it was like trying to read a foreign language.

That was fun! lol

I think part of the problem was that you were wanting to play it at a quicker tempo. Combine that with the 6/8 fills, and well... thanks for sharing!!
Fun indeed - I'm shameless ;) Yes, it's all over the place, & this was captured literally minutes after jamming it for the very first time. My timing sucks royally here, until I settle into the vibe, then it's fine, but I'm still winging it.

You can listen to a song 1000 times and drum to it on the steering wheel, bang on the kitchen table, desk, etc. When it comes time to actually play it on a kit, everything goes out the window. Can't tell you how many times I've managed to blow a simple lead or groove and train-wrecked the whole song. Hang in there! BTW, nice kit!
Absolutely! Strange how the arrangement just drifts out of your head.

& thanks. Kit is the new Tour series maple. I'm using it to get used to how it sounds. Sound in that room is horribly dead though - every surface is carpeted :(

Yes, that 6/8 timing can be a little bit tricky, eh?
The 6/8 isn't an issue. I'm comfortable with that, too comfortable even, but my brain was somewhere else completely last night.

One night on a gig with a blues and classic trio that I played in, the bandleader called out BB Kings "The Thrill is Gone." Can't even recall how many times we'd played it even at that point. I'm just going "Fine, ok"... the song starts and all of a sudden it was like I'd never heard it and just couldn't feel it. The guitarist and bass player just smiled and walked over to me, facing me and playing. Took me a verse to shake the cobwebs loose and then it was old hat like it should have been from the first downbeat.

But, for crying out loud for a minute it was like trying to read a foreign language.
I've experience that once at a gig, many moons ago, & it was horrible. Thankfully I've never had a repeat of that experience. I guess sometimes, life's distractions just get in the way.

I had a similar experience about 20 years ago playing in a house band for a Wed. night open mic night. The band was a Country/Rock type band, and most people who sat in stayed well within our musical range (with the occasional Ozzy/Zeppelin tune) . One night Jose Feliciano showed up and decided to sit in. I figured we'd play "Light my fire" or another of the popular songs that he had recorded. He sits down and says "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag", one, two, three, four! Talk about brain farts, the song did't even register in my head - even though I've heard it a thousand times. It turned out to be a train wreck. I was sooo sooo embarrassed. He threw the whole band for a loop with that one. I don't remember him coming back to the Wed. open mic after that.

Andy,I think we've all been there.It's like visualizing yourself walking off a cliff,but instead of just stopping,you keep walking.And then....you just keep doing it,over and over.

Nice little one up,one down you have there...:)

Steve B

Hi Andy

In my opinion, the guitar player makes the mistake of coming in too early while you play your crescendo fill.
It makes you doubt of yourself, but it doesn't mean you were wrong.

Double checked, it is clearly the guitarist's fault ;-)

When there's a problem, don't assume it must automatically be YOUR OWN fault ;-)
Yes Alain, you're right. I didn't pick up on that at the time. This was just a jam. Noone had prepared, & I wasn't the only one screwing up on a simple song. They're all good players, so it will get fixed quickly once we've all had a chance to digest it.

& of course, silly me, I forgot it's always the guitarist's fault until proven otherwise ;) ;) ;)

Yep, the guitar player is coming in too soon. Not your fault.

GeeDeeEmm
Redemption!!!!!

I love that big grin when ya'll "got it"... priceless.

Dennis
That's relief Dennis, even if it was scrappy!

One of the first songs I learned to play. Yes, that intro part is deceptive...
Only deceptive if your brain has failed miserably. Not captured in the video, but by the end of practice, it was all sounding pretty damn good!

Nice little one up,one down you have there...:)

Steve B
Thanks Steve :) It's the new Tour series maple. Cracking kit with tons of tone. I'm loving it, but hating the extra dead rehearsal room.

I had a similar experience about 20 years ago playing in a house band for a Wed. night open mic night.
That's a bummer, & doesn't it always happen at the worst possible time. At least my mess was at rehearsals!

BTW Andy....you're a very good drummer.You do get on yourself on occasion,but,dude..you can play,and you can make one hell of a set of drums.I just needed to say that,and the yank will go away now.:)

Steve B

BTW Andy....you're a very good drummer.You do get on yourself on occasion,but,dude..you can play,and you can make one hell of a set of drums.I just needed to say that,and the yank will go away now.:)

Steve B
That's very kind of you Steve. I assure you, I f*&^k up nearly as much as I succeed - it's just that I try a lot :)

The way I heard it...the guitarist was playing to a tempo that was slower than the tempo of your build up. I felt the buildup was too fast in relation to the guitarists tempo. That was my impression which could be flawed. Maybe a common count off would have put you both on the same page.

Last edited:
I for one am highly disappointed at the lack of swearing in the video. If I flub a part during a rehearsal, you had better believe that I will let you know with a loud expletive or a colorful string of them.

I am amazed by your self control Andy. You don't even look mad, more betrayed and hurt by this tune that is giving you such grief. I couldn't even laugh at your expense, I felt bad for you and then relieved you locked in with it. There is no schadenfreude to be had when it happens to good people.

The way I heard it...the guitarist was playing to a tempo that was slower than the tempo of your build up. I felt the buildup was too fast in relation to the guitarists tempo. That was my impression which could be flawed. Maybe a common count off would have put you both on the same page.
You're absolutely correct Larry. Tempo management sucked. That, & the guitarist not starting the mid fill riff on the "1" of the 3rd bar consistently. All that said, this clip was taken a few minutes after starting to jam (completely unprepared) the song for the first time, but it's good for a laugh (at myself) ;)

I for one am highly disappointed at the lack of swearing in the video.
I'll try harder next time ;) I don't tend to get mad, I tend towards semi jovial displays of frustration followed by laughter. Laughing at your own inadequacies is good for you - something I do often!!!!

Exactly my impression, too, Larry.

I'll try harder next time ;) I don't tend to get mad, I tend towards semi jovial displays of frustration followed by laughter. Laughing at your own inadequacies is good for you - something I do often!!!!

My method as well, and the reason some refer to me fondly as that laughing idiot, lol. At least, I THINK it's fondly...

Yes, the drum buildup was a tad fast and the guitarist overcompensated and rushed the next arpeggio. That particular timing is deceptive. The last part of the buildup seems to come at you faster than expected as compared with the experience as a listener. It would be an awesome cover if you rehearsed it! I would demand a posting.

for crying out loud for a minute it was like trying to read a foreign language.
Brain farts happen when we overfocus on a small aspect of the music or playing. We lose touch with the music's flow and our relationship with other instruments.

Andy, I have sound files of my playing with tempo increases beyond anything heard by civilised humanity. We all have our skeletons. Thansk for sharing yours :)

Back