Playing to a click live

Just a rant:

I had a gig last weekend and after the set some random guy complimented my performance. He told me my meter was solid. I said that I play to a click live and to some back tracks. He then said, "Oh, so you're Milli Vanilli-ing it?". Before I could react, I just said "It just sounds tighter." He then walked away.

Since when did playing to a click live is the same as what Milli Vanilli did? Last I checked they completely lip sync'd their performances and I think the backtrack skipped on one of them which is what stirred the whole idea around them.

Anyway, I was kind of offended and wanted to punch the guy in the face.

Does the guy have a point? Or am I just overreacting?

You are way overreacting.

I am pretty sure the number of pop/rock/metal bands that use backing tracks and/or a click live equal, if not outnumber, the number of bands that do not.

I mean, I've played in bands that with and without a click. Both sides have their advantages/disadvantages but to compare playing to a click to Milli Vanilli, that seems a bit out there.

I'm one of the few (only?) people who doesn't even think that the Milli Vanilli thing is a big deal. We auto tune and edit everything in the studio now. Does it really matter who sang the part if their voice is altered that heavily in production anyway?

Yeah, it does make a difference. But if the average person had any idea how much of what they hear is produced/co-written by a pro songwriting team/edited/tuned/augmented by studio musicians, etc., I think there would be a big shock.

the "Milli Vanilli" comment sounds like he is a drummer noobie. check what a pro [Kenny Aronoff] says about using a click live. i think the first 20 minutes covers the ins / out of using a click for count-offs, reference in a song [quick on / off] or as a grid for the whole song & turning it off when the tune starts to push / pull [when to shut it off]

+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf22x0T5a1A

Using a click has nothing to do with lip-synching. You have to understand that some people just don't know what they're talking about.

The biggest scandal about Milli Vanilli is that they weren't even lip-synching to their own vocals - somebody else sang the parts on the records!

Bermuda

Just a rant:

I had a gig last weekend and after the set some random guy complimented my performance. He told me my meter was solid. I said that I play to a click live and to some back tracks. He then said, "Oh, so you're Milli Vanilli-ing it?". Before I could react, I just said "It just sounds tighter." He then walked away.

Since when did playing to a click live is the same as what Milli Vanilli did? Last I checked they completely lip sync'd their performances and I think the backtrack skipped on one of them which is what stirred the whole idea around them.

Anyway, I was kind of offended and wanted to punch the guy in the face.

Does the guy have a point? Or am I just overreacting?

The guy is an Uber-moron and deserves a good reach-back 180 pimp slap. I know from experience of playing symphonic metal with backtracks and clicks - it's absolutely necessary. As you know, many bands have to sync to backtracks and it is our job to keep things tight as you did. In fact, the band inherently knows (or should know) to follow you at all times which is why (we hope anyway) the end result is tighter.

I'd just let it slide. Not a lot of people understand what's going on behind the music. But you may have just lost a fan.

I can just see the guy talking about your band to people. "Those guys? They're Milli Vanilli"!

Back