Justin Bieber's Drumming...

Ok, his playing wasn't quite mind blowing, but it was decent and he's better at it than I am currently. Seeing that kid play, encourages me to practice the drums, and become better than him. I'ts sad that the music industry, and especially pop music, is so plastic and shallow these days.

Let me preface this by saying I completely loathe what JB represents, the greed, the plastic marketing, the lack of feeling and depth in the American "culture" (not necessarily directly him, but what his puppeteers push him to sell)...

BUT

There are probably a lot of drummers on here that aren't even at his level. There are people that he may inspire, who may actually become good drummers. Let's try to keep the negative comments down, because we may actually be discouraging future drummers. Constructional criticism is one thing, but shit talking is another.

Normally I'm not for protecting people's feelings over "the truth"; but drumming, and music, is a very personal, expressive and potentially very beautiful thing. We should not discourage anyone on here or make fun of something we don't like because someone may cherish it...

That being said... did anyone ever see the Saved by the Bell episode where AC Slater plays the drums?

Last edited:
red+x+001.gif

Even though I respect the kid for being able to deal with the life that fame brings, I'm not a fan at all. Even my daughter (9) can't stand him.

Last edited:
Never had anything against Bieber. He's got talent and he can carry that as far as he wants. He's good in interviews and handles the massive fame and pressure like it ain't no big deal. These teen heartthrobs have little control over how fast and crazy things get.

I'm not a Bieber music fan but I like him...so far.

Let me preface this by saying I completely loathe what JB represents, the greed, the plastic marketing, the lack of feeling and depth in the American "culture" (not necessarily directly him, but what his puppeteers push him to sell)...

BUT

There are probably a lot of drummers on here that aren't even at his level. There are people that he may inspire, who may actually become good drummers. Let's try to keep the negative comments down, because we may actually be discouraging future drummers. Constructional criticism is one thing, but shit talking is another.

Normally I'm not for protecting people's feelings over "the truth"; but drumming, and music, is a very personal, expressive and potentially very beautiful thing. We should not discourage anyone on here or make fun of something we don't like because someone may cherish it...

That being said... did anyone ever see the Saved by the Bell episode where AC Slater plays the drums?
I agree with this, especially as he professes to having played drums since the age of 2. For someone who's managed to arguably pull off 1 beat & two fills across that many years of playing, I'd say he makes a pretty easy target for beginners to reach :)

I'm going to show this to my 10 year-old son in the hopes it will shame him into practicing. My 7 year-old daughter is just getting past the Bieber phase (note I didn't say 'fever'), so I'm not going to share it with her. I don't want a relapse.

Still, it's like my old man used to say. "Kinda like a dog walking on its hind legs. It's not that he does it well. You're just impressed he can do it at all."

Looks like someone who took lessons, has some natural talent but hasnt played in months. Just rusty and boringly fast. A sad sight for those of us who clearly have a psychotic love for drumming. If you are reading this thats you by the way.

(Better than me probably too)

Honestly, I don't think he's doing anything right. He's just like most pop radio friendly music; music that exists for sole purpose to make money off people most likely don't play instruments or simply do not care about music other than background noise, maybe even people that just like to accept music because people tell them to through marketing (ex. elementary, middle, high school people; mainly girls). But of course there is always exceptions :)

His drumming, like what has been said, is mediocre kid at guitar center. But hey at least he isn't one of those high school kids that was in the school band that thinks they know everything about music lol

Once hell freezes over and he sprouts facial hair he'll have to find another gig.

Somebody must be passing the kool-aid around with all the Bieber praise, lofl.

well... I don't like his "music". For my years, he sounds heartless, without true emotion, without passion, if you know what I mean. Just bubblegum music. But I need to say, there is much worse. This is my opinion... and ok, he isnt the best drummer on the world, Seems to be very fast (but fast doesnt mean good always, I think). kind of... like his music. But not that bad at all.

Somebody must be passing the kool-aid around with all the Bieber praise, lofl.

CD, there are two things I avoid like the plague - schadenfreude and tall poppy syndrome. I prefer to just look at what's in front of me, without thinking of opinions, rep, publicity etc. What I see is a kid with some chops who's rusty and has questionable taste. I've been there. I see no reason to bash.

Okay, I'd agree that if he looked like Meatloaf then he's not got enough happening to be a big success. Lucky boy.

Still, when he plays live, like any other pro muso he still has to be tight, execute with conviction, keep up the energy, keep tuned into the crowd, coordinate with others on stage (in his case, that includes dance routines), remember the show's running sequence etc.

I've never done that on a big stage so yeah, I'm reluctant to criticise, other than saying that I'm not into kiddie music any more than I'm into the Teletubbies :)

PS. I have better things than Kool Aid ...

Back