MFB's House of Fun

• Thread starter Mediocrefunkybeat
  • Start date
M

Mediocrefunkybeat

So. I haven't done this for a while. Time for a new thread.

Some of you may notice the unconventional setup - I'm just playing around and seeing what will work for University, mainly with regards to transport, so not taking my bass drum seemed like a good idea.

So:

Tamburo Ash 422AM. 6-ply 6mm shells.

From left to right:

10"x8" Tom.
13"x6.5" Yamaha Musashi Oak Snare
14"x12" Bass (Floor Tom)
12"x10" Tom.

All heads are Remo Ambassador

Sabian 14" Regular Hats
Sabian 16" AAX Studio Crash
Istanbul Agop 20" Traditional Jazz Ride
Paiste 20" Dark Dry Ride

DW5000 Turbo Single Pedal
Mapex Hi Hat Stand

Various stands.

Yamaha Grand Piano. Think it's a 2/3rd size. Not entirely sure.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    461.5 KB · Views: 391
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    464.6 KB · Views: 386
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    473.2 KB · Views: 374
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    478.2 KB · Views: 372
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    453.9 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
That's sweet dude. I don't think I've seen the full set with the larger bass yet either, I love the finish. Very cool, I didn't notice in the pics. I'll have to double back but did you use a ft converter or bass cradle?

I have the musashi snare, I've been using it the past few weeks for rehearsals, Awesome sounding snare.

It's not a Baby actually, it's a bit bigger than a Baby - but I don't actually know fully what the size is; I'll have to do some digging. It sounds good though, even if I can't play well. Mum and Dad bought it for my Brother. The Paiste is mint.

Drumsword - no cradle, just an inverted tom mount attached to a cymbal stand. The clever part was mounting the cymbal stands so that they crossed at a point right in front of the pedal and this is on carpet - so the pedal doesn't move an inch.

It's not a Baby actually, it's a bit bigger than a Baby - but I don't actually know fully what the size is; I'll have to do some digging. It sounds good though, even if I can't play well. Mum and Dad bought it for my Brother. The Paiste is mint.

Drumsword - no cradle, just an inverted tom mount attached to a cymbal stand. The clever part was mounting the cymbal stands so that they crossed at a point right in front of the pedal and this is on carpet - so the pedal doesn't move an inch.

Cool man, the wee drumset throws everything out of proportion=)

G

Thats genius dude, awesome job. Now your my hero, until mikei buys something new..LOL.

Thats genius dude, awesome job. Now your my hero, until mikei buys something new..LOL.

Damn I was at least hoping on a day or two of worship.

Gregg, what was it I said about stunning small rodents at half a mile earlier?

I definitely wouldn't want to play a larger bass drum in front of the china-cabinet. That was your intention wasn't it? That's your "China-Cabinet Setup".

Very cool. I like the small sizes, unconventional arrangement and resourcefulness. Must be easy to move and set up as well.

I have a thing for compact kits - not the same as small kits with 4 or fewer pieces, but kits with small drums, perhaps many small drums. Someday I would like to see a 12+-piece dwarf monster kit, with no drums more than 18 inches. I think my kit might be the closest thing to that on the board, a six-piece with an 18 bass.

Karl - whilst I have done the 'Bruford' thing before, this was unintentional. I just wanted to find an easy place to put the 10" tom and it works quite well. I'm trying to work on my left-hand lead work on the snare (I'm quite right-orientated) and this helps a bit. Just takes some time to getting used to.

Garvin... well... I used to play the 22" there and nothing's broken - yet. I guess the 14" does help preserve the Wedgwood...

DMC - I've been noticing a bit of a trend recently whereby the extremes of bass drum size are being explored. There's the 26"/28" crowd and then there's the 16"/18" crowd. The idea of this is mainly for storage reasons - I've only got limited space when I go to University and I'm taking a guitar rig with me (as well as four guitars) and my computer (two screens) so the less space I can take up the better - this probably won't be set up often, but I was just exploring my options but a bit of lateral thinking gets some good results.

Incidentally Garvin, the kit blocks the spirits cabinet. Blast.

I like the new rig mfb. looks comfy and i'd love to get some jamming done in there with a pianist. Nice choices in cymbals and everything is very within reach. That ash finish really pops out at you. By the way what are you sitting on? Pillows on a regular chair?

Yeah, it's an old office chair with the back removed. The pillows are to add height, but it's not really working for me any more. It's too low and hurts my back after prolonged playing, so I'm going to have to get a new throne at some point when I actually have some money (roll on Christmas...!). I'm also half-considering buying a large floor tom and converting it into a bass drum specifically, with spurs and the like. It's on my list at least.

Very unique. Love the Musashi snare and the Paiste dry ride. You should have no problem carting that kit around, so long as you have a decent cymbal bag.

Back