Unix 13x6.5 snare drum

B

Big_Philly

I received this picture from Unix today:

9iv2u9.jpg

It is the rough, unlathed shell for my new snare drum.
Specs:
13x6.5" maple with bubinga striping, 1/2" thick
double 45 degree bearing edges
black chrome hoops and lugs,
black trick strainer,
12-strand snare mat,
satin gloss finish.

If I remember correctly, it should be about two more weeks 'till it's ready for shipping. From then on it depends on how fast the shipping will be... but I can hardly wait to see and play the finished drum!

Wow, great looking snare already! I'm very curious for the final pictures, and for the sound offcourse.

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Looks really cool. I love the idea of the bubinga striping.

I got the idea for maple with bubinga striping when I saw this drum in Unix's gallery and was struck by the nice contrast, but maple is sonically what I am after so I decided to go with the same colour scheme, but inverted and with black hardware to complete the contrast.

I am very sceptical about what that little bubinga will actually do for the sound, it seems to me it's just for the looks, and it looks great :).

For the main wood I was in doubt between bubinga and maple. The bubinga is primarily there for looks, but if it delivers a hybrid sound between maple and bubinga, that would be very nice :) But the sound I was after was a nice and defined pop sound with good tone and the warmth that you get from a wooden drum, and maple apparently fits that bill best.

DMC, a stave cocktail set sounds like a really cool idea. I look forward to see pictures of what it will be like! Glad you dig the wood combination of my snare :)

I'm excited to see the final product! Good choice on the size. I choose the same size for my Unix snare. Versatility from a piece of art it's important.

I received this picture from Unix today:

9iv2u9.jpg

It is the rough, unlathed shell for my new snare drum.
Specs:
13x6.5" maple with bubinga striping, 1/2" thick
double 45 degree bearing edges
black chrome hoops and lugs,
black trick strainer,
12-strand snare mat,
satin gloss finish.

If I remember correctly, it should be about two more weeks 'till it's ready for shipping. From then on it depends on how fast the shipping will be... but I can hardly wait to see and play the finished drum!

Very nice! I wonder if I am the only one who looks at every picture that Frank posts looking very hard in the background to see if possibly I can see my snare that he is in the process of building for me :)

Very nice! I wonder if I am the only one who looks at every picture that Frank posts looking very hard in the background to see if possibly I can see my snare that he is in the process of building for me :)

Well, I know I don't :p But I understand the tendency.

If it's anything as cool as your example, it's gonna be one very good looking snare drum. Please be sure to post pics when you get it and I'm already interested as to how it sounds! Yep, he makes beautiful drums. One of the highlights of this site is seeing his craftsmanship.
Congrats man, you'll enjoy that baby for sure.

Latest news is that the snare drum will be done in three weeks. The long wait is on the hardware; the shell is done :).

Man, that's a bummer, waiting that long.

I love the drumgroove you posted some time ago by the way :). Do you have any recordings with a band?

Ik kan het trouwens ook niet laten ff in het Nederlands te kletsen, wij zijn toch de enige drie die het begrijpen :p.

As a matter of fact I do have an audio recording with a band, but I am not sure whether or not to post them. Vocals aren't too great... it was just two microphones connected to an MD player in a rehearsal studio.

I got some pictures of the lathed shell today:

2u53x2d.jpg

1z2mz51.jpg

24m8j6g.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Looking really really awsome Phillip! Post them recordings by the way ;-). Who cares for vocals anyway :p.

BTW: I've got a BIG treat for you all tonight (or maybe tommorow) so stay tuned (don't wanna ruin your snare thread, but I can't keep it to myself any longer..)

Back