New Setup and recording equipment

Interitus

Well, I'm still using my Mapex kit, but I picked up a Zildjian A custom splash cymbal, and dixon extension arm (proper name?) to mount it. I also went ahead and bought some recording equipment. Got the Presonus Firestudio Project 10x10, and a 6 piece Shure mic kit. The kit came with 1 PG52 kick mic, 3 PG56 tom/snare mics and 2 PG81 instrument mics.

Since taking the picture I've hung my overhead mics with some string. I need to get some mic stands! Everything sounds better now that I've got them in place.

My first recording experience went pretty well, but with the overhead mics not in place, the overall sound suffered a little. I recorded a test that went pretty well, but I wasnt playing at my best. The cubaseLE disc that came with the firestudio wouldnt install, so I grabbed a copy and got it installed but I'm having trouble with playback. Playback is constantly distorted. It still records fine, but it wont play back clearly. I've been able to clear it up by lowering the record rate in cubase to 32KHz (lowest it'll go), and putting the buffer size to 512 in the firestudio panel. But it only lasts for the test, then when I goto record its messed up again.

I also built the plug for my window, to block sound from getting outside.

Its made from a 2x4 frame with 3/4" plywood on the outside, 1 inch sytrofoam, and then the rippled packing foam from the electronics of a fire alarm panel, glued on with white glue. The outside is lined with 1/2" foam weather stripping to fill gaps and protect the paint. Not sure how well its working, need to find someone to go outside for me, or play while I go outside. I think its improved the sound of the room a little bit as well. Anyone know if spray paint would ruin the effects of the packing foam? The white foam looks awful.

I'd like to upgrade my drum kit in the near future, but I'm a bit broke at the moment so it will have to wait. In the meantime I should be focusing on my skills anyways. Looking to get lessons right away, feeling like I've hit a plateau.

looks like a very nice recording space. I am going to make that window insert for my drum room as well.

why not cover the window frame thing in a light fabric, that'll make it look nicer.

i cant really see spray paint working, but maybe, i dunno.

everything looks so good, great job...how much did you pay that mic kit?

I cant find my reciept, but I'm sure it was about $550cdn. A bit overkill for a guy who's only been playing for a few months, but hey, why not?

why not cover the window frame thing in a light fabric, that'll make it look nicer.

Eh, I like the utilitarian look of it.

I think some people might frown upon your choice of drums and cymbals for recording, but I think if you tune those drums up nicely with good heads and with some nice mics they'll sound pretty nice. So, any sound clips to share with us?

yeah its not the best kit or cymbal package, and I do want to upgrade. But this is my first kit, and its all I can afford at the moment. A few more paychecks, get the visa paid off, and I'll start looking at upgrading. Wonder if I should maybe upgrade a few of the heads in the meantime? My toms are dented and not looking real great, everything is still stock.

The whole recording system is mainly so I can hear what I'm playing better, but I look forward to the day when I can play well enough to actually record a song. Gonna go play for a bit right away, I'll see if I can record something for you. Post the clip here? or in the "your playing" forum?

The whole recording system is mainly so I can hear what I'm playing better, but I look forward to the day when I can play well enough to actually record a song. Gonna go play for a bit right away, I'll see if I can record something for you. Post the clip here? or in the "your playing" forum?

Both would be cool. A link here and in a separate thread in the your playing section. I can tell you that recording yourself is too good of a practice tool to not take advantage of. As soon as I started I noticed things about my playing that I would never hear while I'm playing.

New heads will do wonders for a drum set like this. Usually the stock heads will be made pretty cheaply so it's hard to get a decent sound out of them. By the way, it's impressive that you're so ready to record yourself this early in your drumming career.

Very cool setup...

If i Were you, however, I would tweak the setup of the kit itself.
Those Toms and Cymbals have some funky angles to them

....Sorry, just my OCD opinion:D

If i Were you, however, I would tweak the setup of the kit itself.
Those Toms and Cymbals have some funky angles to them

I like the angles I have on the cymbals, I find I can easily hit them without hitting into them, but the stick sorta naturally goes off to the side a bit. The toms, yeah they're not in an ideal position yet. I'm finding it hard to get them in a good position that I can play them without them being too high, but not at too much of an angle. Been adjusting these just about every other time I play.

Well, I recorded myself playing, after a bit of warmup. And I really dont think it warrants its own thread. What i'm posting here is pretty raw, all I did in post-production was lower the volume of the kick and toms, and raise the volume of my one overhead mic. The 2nd overhead mic wont record, limitation of the computer I think. Also, I thought I sounded better when I was actually playing, but I dont sound very good on the recording! So, crits and pointers welcome, but try not laugh too much :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYB5O0buZ5s

Back