Poll: do you double bass?

I'm an 8 :)

8. Use to play with a double bass drums kit but gave it all up for a single bass drum/pedal set up.

I use to have a double bass set up, then a double pedal.... but now for the last 4 years I'm back to a single pedal set up.

#3, I guess. I've got a double pedal, and I use it for quick accents or fills, but not really anything more than that.

I'm a 7. I first played over 200 BPM over 25 years ago. I'm not playing as many straight 16th note runs anymore as much as hand foot combos. There are kids out now that can just smoke me on pure speed. I'm not going past 220 for a few measures and I'm too old to care anymore.

200 BPM does not make you an "expert". At age 18 I could play Angel of Death and I did it on pure adrenaline back then.

I'm a #2. There are so many other things to practice with the limited time I have on the kit.

Last edited:
#3, I guess. I've got a double pedal, and I use it for quick accents or fills, but not really anything more than that.

That'll be me too- I can't get it consistent enough to do more than that and I don't have enough time to practice to get any better at it, My hands are rubbish as well...

But then, drumming is like sex, you don't need to be good at it to enjoy it...;0)

Cool! Thanks for the replies guys. I know that simply getting 16ths at 200 doesn't make one a full fledged expert, but I just picked a bar to set and threw that out there. There's lots more to it than sustained 16ths.. I know.

I've been working on it for a couple months. I'm pretty clean at sustained basic rock beat with 16ths on the bass at 130bpm now. (Couldn't really even do 100 when I started.) I don't just work on 16ths though, I also work on stop/starts, different combinations with hands/feet etc. I've got a LONG way to go but one of the key elements of the music I'm trying to play is speed (Lamb of God, Opeth, Arch Enemy.. yeah I like metal.. 43 yrs old and metal is still my favourite) So right now I'm mostly focused on that with some time spent on other aspects, but still developing core speed as an essential element.

It's a slow road and takes lots of time.

I guess I'm a #6 with a lot of qualifiers. I am working on it a lot lately, but not because I love it or can really use it that much in the musical situations I play in. I work on it because it's a challenge. I Work on it because I want to get better at it. I am never going to join a metal band, but I still want to be able to play the stuff metal drummers play. Just because.

Somewhere between # 2 & 4.

I have tried various double pedals from no name, PDP, Axis, and currently have an Iron Cobra Junior (light and smooth). But I don't use it. Spent way too long with a single pedal and haven't been able to develop the skill to effectively use my left foot othr than accent type stuff. In addition I have some nerve damage on my left thigh and think that has something to do with it.

However my main pedal is a Duallist. For most songs I use it in single mode. It does come in handy with our punkish and metal songs. I don't use it for the fast 16th note stuff, but instead for the fast triplet type stuff. Before anyone else says anything, I already call it my "Cheater Pedal" :)

definitely a 6. Spent much time tuning the bass for combo rolls with toms. When I get it right it sounds like rolling thunder, very inspirational. I came from extensive piano background so I do phrasing, much like chords and use the bass pedals like using the lower octaves on piano. It sounds good to me and is a great workout daily.

I used to play double bass and played music that used it extensively. I've since switched musical paths, and I finally sold my two double pedals last year, and I'm probably not going to look back.

I DO play the double bass (upright bass, contrabass, etc...), and find it much more enjoyable than playing a double pedal on a bass drum.

Mostly 3 and I take it off and put it in the corner out of frustration, but then get inspired to try again and jump on the 5 train-course I get frustrated and then take the A-train back to 3. If I could just get the train schedule correct I think I would make progress. I like the clicky plastic sound of the double bass for certain accents, but I also love the full warm bass sound of the single kick. After watching the recent addition of the Colin Bailey videos I wonder why anyone needs a double-I love his control the dude is awesome. Colin seems to be able play on a single what others do with two.

Me... I'll have a #2 to go...

How do I add a poll?
1. Never, it's nonsense
2. Never, I get that it's need in some genres but I don't do it.
3. I fiddle with it, but not really alot
4. I wish I could, but it takes too much time to get good at it.
5. I'm working on it. Going to take a while, but I'll put the time in as I want to play music that typically requires it.
6. Love it. Work on it ALOT. I use it with the band.
7. I'm an expert. (200bpm 16ths and greater)

#4. I see little improvement so I usually get discouraged and stop. Some people are just naturally good at it and some are not. I am the latter. I can do some stuff well but sheer speed is not my forte. My present musical situation does not require it so whatever.

No double bass for me, and it's not nonsense.

Peace and goodwill.

#3, but now that I've got some more time to put behind the set, I'll aim toward #5. My morning starts with a 20 minute practice with a variation of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqj3p8rF4ew

Then I do another 20 minutes of one pedal lead playing triplets, then "meshing" or interlacing alternate strokes to make sextuplets. Then alternate lead pedal. Right hand playing quarter notes on the ride, left hand playing 2 & 4 on the snare. I set the metronome to a slow speed (63 to 72) and work up to 76 or 78. If I have another 20 minutes, I'll work up to 88 or so.

The point isn't speed for me at this point. I'm looking for a consistent sound, a balance with my feet and a grounding, after spending so much time on the snare. After work, if I have time, I play with my son who plays double bass (strings, that is) or work out of the Ted Reed book, Stick Control (Alan Dawson's exercises) or John Riley's Art of Bop Drumming. And I'm playing single pedal. Occasionally, I'll work double pedals into some odd time exercise I've worked up but it's mostly for my own enjoyment.

I'm not looking to dethrone Derek Roddy or to play in a death metal band or its equivalent. Maybe someday; just for the challenge of it, I'll work it up to play in that type of band. But I realize the amount of passion and conviction you need to pull something like that off. It requires 100% commitment to do it well and right now I have only a passing interest in working on it. Most of the music I like to play has more of a subtle or sparse bass drum approach. Double pedals for me are just another avenue of technique and sound experimentation. But again- one day, even as I get "too old", I might just commit. "In for a penny, in for a pound."

#2 - so much to learn and do with a single pedal I'd just never consider moving to two pedals.

#6 I guess. I have been playing double bass for many years. I started many years ago with two bass drums. I use it, but it is not used for everything. Two bass drums does not work with a lot of music, but sometimes it fits in perfectly. I play the hi-hat much different from when I play the bass drum on my left foot. I am no expert on the double bass drums, and do not want to give that impression.

Back