Dangerous Illusions

rdb

You all have probably seen the ads for this novel, Dangerous Illusions, all over various drumming websites. I finally succumbed. I can't say as I would recommend it for the plot or character development, but it is kind of fun to read for the various references to rhythm and drumming and the long passages about drum history and famous drummers. The book is essentially a murder mystery that also includes the theft of a valuable vintage Ludwig kit in black oyster pearl.

Anyways, the book also includes an interesting character, Dick Trager, and I was wondering if anyone knows if there's any historical basis for this character. In the book, Dick Trager is a New York City scam artist who owns a large vintage drum store where he sells fake vintage drums and fake signed photographs. It seems like a fair amount of the book is rooted in real history, so it seemed plausible to me that this character might also be based on someone real. Has anyone else read the book or have any idea if there's any historical basis for this character?

Most boring book I ever read. I think it is the author's first attempt at writing a novel and if he didn't have an editor, he needs to get one. If he had one, he needs to fire him and get another. There was way too much description about food, drums, drum stores, etc. There was very little plot development and the ending was so far fetched as not to be believable. I only kept reading because I thought it would get better. It didn't. I paid $2.95 for this on line and didn't get my money's worth. (Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?)

Back