Losing grip of my sticks

rossgordon

I play in a touring hardcore/punk band. I've been playing drums for 6 years, but lately have been having a problem with my grip. The past two sets I've played, halfway through I was struggling to keep a good grip on my stick with my right hand. I don't know if anyone has any tips on holding the stick differently. I took lessons for a year and was taught proper grip. Any tips would be appreciated

I play in a touring hardcore/punk band. I've been playing drums for 6 years, but lately have been having a problem with my grip. The past two sets I've played, halfway through I was struggling to keep a good grip on my stick with my right hand. I don't know if anyone has any tips on holding the stick differently. I took lessons for a year and was taught proper grip. Any tips would be appreciated

Have you tried putting a layer of electrical tape/grip tape on the handle?

Welcome to the forum!

I'd suggest trying some different sticks - similar/identical in playing feel but providing better grip due to a different finish.

I would recommend using Zildjian dip sticks:

http://zildjian.com/Products/Drumsticks-and-Mallets/Maple-Series/5A-Maple-DIP

I think there are other brands out there that have the same stuff.
I play punk/hardcore and use 5B's. After an hour of playing I feel less fatigue VS. the other sticks I once used.

The other suggestions work also but sometimes the adhesive comes out and that bothers me. My band mates used to joke around about the amount of flying sticks I used to have.

I would recommend using Zildjian dip sticks:

http://zildjian.com/Products/Drumsticks-and-Mallets/Maple-Series/5A-Maple-DIP

I think there are other brands out there that have the same stuff.
I play punk/hardcore and use 5B's. After an hour of playing I feel less fatigue VS. the other sticks I once used.

The other suggestions work also but sometimes the adhesive comes out and that bothers me. My band mates used to joke around about the amount of flying sticks I used to have.

Almost forgot...I have tried these. Great sticks, nice grip. 2nd choice of mine.

sounds like a technique problem

so getting dipped sticks, using stick wax, athletic tape, or sticks without a lacquered finish would most likely be a band aid over a bullet hole

re evaluate your technique, trouble shoot and you will find the problem

when I used to play heavy music, when required to play really hard I would switch to a back fulcrum (ala Tony Williams) holding the stick primarily with the pinkie and ring finger and loosening the front fulcrum ....it helps quite a bit

hope this helps

Everyone has this problem eventually. You can go the stick wrap route, glove route, or, what I often do, is blow heat on the palm of my hands as if they were cold. Make sure the stick is in your hand when you do this, so the heat from your breath affects the wood's moisture content. Try and see what happens.

I'm going through this problem as well. I think I'm trying to play harder than I really need to due to the type of hard rock my band is playing. I've gone from 5A hickory sticks to larger Todd Sucherman maple sticks and it helped initially but the stick dropping has returned. I'm going to get a pair if dipped sticks today and see how that helps at my gig this weekend.

+1 on the back fulcrum. It makes for the least resistance when the stick makes contact with the playing surface, which means you have to do less work to hold on to the stick.

+1 on the back fulcrum. It makes for the least resistance when the stick makes contact with the playing surface, which means you have to do less work to hold on to the stick.

absolutely

TRy the Gear section under Heads and Sticks, where this thread belongs. There are 400 suggestions there.

I would have thought this would be for the technique subforum if anything...but since the OP didn't know what the solution would be I would say it's eminently forgivable.

I would have thought this would be for the technique subforum if anything...but since the OP didn't know what the solution would be I would say it's eminently forgivable.

definitely technique forum

this is a technique issue for sure as I stated in an early post in this thread

You could use the same stuff people wrap baseball bats with.

Try moving to a thicker, lighter stick. Maybe a promark 2b, with the green writing. I used those big sticks with nylon tips a while back. They were 2b, yet very light.

Try different stick sizes.

The Vater, FUSION stick is a good light yet oddly weighted stick.

I played ina grindcore band with 2bs. So those promarks would be fast enough, the Vaters though are smaller and real light, but balanced where you can lay into the drums if you need to.

Try GigGrips http://www.giggrips.com/about-drumstick-grips.html or just a hair tie. You won't be twirling your sticks much, and if you break a stick it becomes problematical. But they work well. I have an old work injury to my right hand, (I'm right handed) and these help when my grip feels weak that day. Doesn't happen all the time.

Back