Musical artists whose death saddened you.

John Lennon was the first musician who died that I remember getting bummed out about. The Beatles were played a lot in my house growing up. I was 8.

Dennis Wilson's death was very sad to me since the Beach Boys were my dad's favorite band, and their music was the first that I really got into. Later on, Dennis Wilson was one of the reasons that I started drumming.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was a shocker since I had just seen him perform a couple of weeks before the helicopter crash.

Frank Zappa. Kurt Cobain.Carl Wilson, All of the Ramones (especially Joey who was such a gentle soul), George Harrison, Benjamin Oor, Buck Owens, and most particularly Levon Helm.

John Lennon was the first musician who died that I remember getting bummed out about. The Beatles were played a lot in my house growing up. I was 8.

Dennis Wilson's death was very sad to me since the Beach Boys were my dad's favorite band, and their music was the first that I really got into. Later on, Dennis Wilson was one of the reasons that I started drumming.

Stevie Ray Vaughan was a shocker since I had just seen him perform a couple of weeks before the helicopter crash.

Frank Zappa. Kurt Cobain.Carl Wilson, All of the Ramones (especially Joey who was such a gentle soul), George Harrison, Benjamin Oor, Buck Owens, and most particularly Levon Helm.

I feel that Zappa was especially painful. That man approached music in a way that he created his own genre of music. Once Dwezil retires, I doubt that anyone will ever be able to do the Zappa thing again. It's just too expensive (both in terms of paying musicians and affording the instrumentation).

And man, Levon... words can't describe how sad I was that he passed. DW should have a beer drinking/ Last Waltz watching/Summer BBQ.

Dave Brockie (Oderus Urungus) of GWAR

Seth Putnam of AxCx and every other Boston band (This dude was hilarious, HORRIBLE musician)

Chi Cheng of Deftones

I've always been a classic rock/garage band junkie, but I have to say that the death that influenced me the most was that of Avenged Sevenfold's drummer "The Rev", Jimmy Sullivan.

Up until then, I'd kind of always had a very light interest in metal music. I mostly dug that band because of the Rev's funkiness and great phrasing compared to what (to me) seemed like tasteless speed chops of other metal bands. With him in the band, they seemed to have the songwriting force in their band that many other bands just didn't have.

I remember I was in the hospital chilling with a friend (his dad damn near chopped his finger off while getting farm equipment ready for Spring), and the news came up on the TV. I was devastated.

After that, I just had a hell of a time finding another band in that genre to fill the hole. Got into Muse, then heavily into Zep, then went down the big rabbit hole that is rock n' roll.

I'm listening to St. James right now

Amy Winehouse.

I don't even listen to her that much, but she was so sad, her voice filled with pain and a deep awareness of the blues (not the music, the feeling), along with a wry sense of humor, and I knew she was going to die young. Everyone knew. And so I waited, helpless, as her life became a tabloid punchline.

When she died, I was at my mom's, and she held me, her 50-year-old daughter, as I howled in anguish for the predictable end to a life full of despair.

Sorry ... I still get emotional about it.

Terry Kath is the other one. I started playing drums in 1972 or so, in sixth grade, (then stopped, but that's another sad story) because of Danny Seraphine and Chicago. Kath's stupid, self-inflicted death was like a punch in the gut. "No, please, this is a bad joke, he didn't do something that stupid!"

I've always been a classic rock/garage band junkie, but I have to say that the death that influenced me the most was that of Avenged Sevenfold's drummer "The Rev", Jimmy Sullivan.

Up until then, I'd kind of always had a very light interest in metal music. I mostly dug that band because of the Rev's funkiness and great phrasing compared to what (to me) seemed like tasteless speed chops of other metal bands. With him in the band, they seemed to have the songwriting force in their band that many other bands just didn't have.

I remember I was in the hospital chilling with a friend (his dad damn near chopped his finger off while getting farm equipment ready for Spring), and the news came up on the TV. I was devastated.

After that, I just had a hell of a time finding another band in that genre to fill the hole. Got into Muse, then heavily into Zep, then went down the big rabbit hole that is rock n' roll.

Avenged Sevenfold hasn't been the same without the Rev, the music is similar but it doesn't have the spark or the energy it used to have. I personally can't stand listening to the Hail to the King album, the drums are so flat, lifeless and generic that they suck the life out of the tracks. Mike Portnoy breathed life into the Nightmare album and for that he gained my respect in my eyes, but this new drummer is mind aswell be a drum machine.

If the band had a heart and soul Jimmy was the core of it.

In terms of shocked John Lennon, Jeff Buckley

Saddened Jim Croce and a few Australians Paul Hester (Suicide) from Crowded House and Doc Neeson from the Angels ( Cancer) come immediately to mind.

and just to be flippant...Paul Mcartneys Shoes ( Died crossing Abbey Road)

Gary Thain of Uriah Heep and Tommy Bolin.

Both were masters of their respective instruments.

I can't imagine how their careers would have progressed if they were still both alive.

A shout out to my first and only teacher, John "Terry" Tirabasso. He was a jazz great. Recorded with Wayne Marsh and his own jazz all stars. He died in 2010 but I don't let a day pass without thinking of him.

There were a number of musicians who I was aware of their death immediately that really depressed me:

John Bonham
John Lennon
Buddy Rich
Elvis Presley (not a big fan but still)
Duane Allman
Jim Groce
Karen Carpenter
Ronnie Van Zant
Freddie Mercury
George Harrison
Bon Scott - Had just "met" (a stretch) the band months before.

And a few that died during my dark years (not playing and not listening to much music. Most of them I did not know about at the time of their death and when I found out it was a big bummer.

Stevie Ray Vaughn < this devastated me as he was dead for years before I found out)
Albert King
Dave Peverett (Another favorite that I was big time bummed!
Ray Brown
Frank Zappa

For me it is:

John Lennon
George Harrison
Ed Shuanessy
Buddy Rich
Cilla Black

There are lots of others no doubt.

Cheers all.

Here's a real life story for you...

I was being "with" my college girlfriend and we had the radio on in the background. We were listening to a metal show on the radio. Quite inspiring.

All of a sudden, the show stops and the announcer breaks in to say that Cliff Burton of Metsllica was killed in a bus crash. This occurred mid-performance if you catch my drift.

It hit me like a ton of bricks, I loved that band at that time. I wanted to cry.

I still completed my assigned task, however, as I decided to do it "for Cliff".

Sometimes you have to carry on...

SRV, Frank Zappa..........................

Back