Thinking of adding a tom - what size?

EricT43

Hi guys!

I have a DW Collector's with 10" and 12" rack toms, and a 16" floor tom. I've been thinking of adding another tom to my kit. A 14" seems like a logical choice, but to be honest, I don't find myself frequently wanting another mid-pitched tom. So, I'm thinking of adding an 8" instead, because I really like high toms. I just think they cut through the mix better. But I've never owned an 8" tom, so I'm not really sure how much I'll use it.

For those of you who own and use an 8" tom, do you think this would be a good setup? Or if you think a 14" is a better idea, why do you think so?

Hi guys!

I have a DW Collector's with 10" and 12" rack toms, and a 16" floor tom. I've been thinking of adding another tom to my kit. A 14" seems like a logical choice, but to be honest, I don't find myself frequently wanting another mid-pitched tom. So, I'm thinking of adding an 8" instead, because I really like high toms. I just think they cut through the mix better. But I've never owned an 8" tom, so I'm not really sure how much I'll use it.

For those of you who own and use an 8" tom, do you think this would be a good setup? Or if you think a 14" is a better idea, why do you think so?

I think the music you play dictates what gear you have. For alot of music, you don't need more than a 4-piece kit. If you're trying to go for something more melodic, I get that, but then we're not talking about musical requirements. In that case, why not get both? Add an 8 and the 14, then you'll be pretty melodic at that point.

I'm willing to bet $20 that if you really did whatever the music is calling for, you'd be subtracting one or two of the toms you have already ;)

Haha, yes, both would be ideal. Unfortunately, DW add-on toms are kind of expensive, which is why I thought I'd just start with one.

Anyway, you're right, it's more for my own enjoyment than the needs of the music my band plays. 90% of it could be played with a 4-piece or less.

I've been thinking of adding another tom to my kit. A 14" seems like a logical choice, but to be honest, I don't find myself frequently wanting another mid-pitched tom. So, I'm thinking of adding an 8" instead, because I really like high toms.
It sounds like you'd prefer an 8" tom. Are you wanting to add on because you feel there's a sound missing from what you use your kit for? Or are you just kinda bored with your current setup (perfectly legitimate reason to buy stuff!)?
One of my setups has 8-10-12-14 toms, and in 3 years or so I think I've only used the 8 on one song (the few times I've played that song). But I prefer deeper sounding toms, so I really have to force myself to use anything smaller than a 12.

Haha, yes, both would be ideal. Unfortunately, DW add-on toms are kind of expensive, which is why I thought I'd just start with one.

Anyway, you're right, it's more for my own enjoyment than the needs of the music my band plays. 90% of it could be played with a 4-piece or less.

Yeah, having owned two DW kits in my past I will agree. For what they are, they are expensive.

What I did was get rototoms... like Alex Van Halens? They mostly come in sets of 3, 6", 8", and 10". That gives you 3 high pitched toms for the price of roughly $200, if you buy the Remo set. You said you already had a 10", but whatever. Just throwing that out there.

What I did was get rototoms... like Alex Van Halens? They mostly come in sets of 3, 6", 8", and 10". That gives you 3 high pitched toms for the price of roughly $200, if you buy the Remo set. You said you already had a 10", but whatever. Just throwing that out there.

Good idea! Theres also those metal frame DW toms that dont have a bottom head or much of a shell. Those may be cool too!

I play 8, 10, 14, 16 atm and I think both the 8 and 14 are important to me. Lately I'm thinking of taking off the 8 and putting the 12 on for more of a rock setup, but I will always love the little 8 inch drums.

I guess if I had to choose one I'd think about how I like my kit setup and how adding each size would affect that setup.

If you like to tension your heads tight, get a 13". If you tend to tension medium to loose, get an 8".

Personally, I say go with the 13". Bigger, rounder tone and more versatile. An 8" only works well when it's miced and amplified.

IMO a rather low tuned 8" just explodes off the kit....and you can hit it medium or get that pitch bend effect by laying into it and grabbing some rim.

Certainly not needed in many situations, but IMO good to have three racks in your mug in your woodshed to work on roundhouse tom rolls...and have that skill dialed in case it is useful someday...

Back