Severe flooding in the UK

tamadrm

Platinum Member
I just read about the severe flooding conditions in southwest England.I hope you guys are ok,and my heart goes out to those affected.Let me know if there are any agencies collecting donations to assist those in need.

I just went through a major weather event here in Staten Island so I understand how devitating this can be.

I hope your all safe and sound.Merry Christmas all.:)

Steve B

I just read about the severe flooding conditions in southwest England.I hope you guys are ok,and my heart goes out to those affected.Let me know if there are any agencies collecting donations to assist those in need.

I just went through a major weather event here in Staten Island so I understand how devitating this can be.

I hope your all safe and sound.Merry Christmas all.:)

Steve B
The scale of your weather event was in a different league Steve, but if you're affected, you're affected. Great of you to think of others at this time.

I'm in the South West UK, but thankfully, I live on the top of a hill. That said, if I'd not done some serious storm drain work on my property this summer, I'd be retrieving half my ground from a mile down the hill by now. In last spring's wet weather, we lost over 50 ton of substrate from our drive & the water moved a 20 ton slab of concrete over 6 foot sideways.

I was in Somerset back in July during some of the flooding earlier this year. Very bizarre driving through a village, visiting the shops, sitting inside during a quick shower than trying to go back through that same villae only to find it had been flooded in under an hour. Today it took my uncle about 10 hours to get from London to Exeter by car and all the trains are out.

This has happened a fair few times over the last few years. It's not pleasant but we are very fortunate in the UK to have fantastic emergency services that save many lives and properties and are deeply underappreciated.

Although it's bad news for those in the path of the flood waters, the UK has been in drought for several years and this has been addressed mostly by the horrendous rain we've had in the last twelve months. I went to a lake I used to sail on a few years back and it was only 30% full, with the entire slipway exposed and the lake bottom visible. About half of the lake had no water in it all. I hear that now it's been consistently full again.

It's all a great balancing game in the end but my heart goes out to those who have paid the price for this recent weather. The fact is that the water table has been so high in the last twelve months after the incredibly wet summer we had that almost any significant rain would have likely caused flooding.

Commiserations Brits - hope you're all high up.

the UK has been in drought for several years and this has been addressed mostly by the horrendous rain we've had in the last twelve months. I went to a lake I used to sail on a few years back and it was only 30% full, with the entire slipway exposed and the lake bottom visible. About half of the lake had no water in it all. I hear that now it's been consistently full again.

We had the same pattern here - a long drought followed by a deluge in 2011 and 2012 that finally eased off a few months ago.

I live in Somerset but haven't really been affected, fortunately. I did have a pretty hairy trip back from rehearsal the other night though!

It is a little crazy when driving through Glastonbury seeing the River Brue constantly bursting its banks, though. Has been that high for a while now, too.

I hope that anyone who has been hit has been mindful to get their drums upstairs IMMEDIATELY!

Back