Drum kit classifications in reference to the bass drum size

caddywumpus

Archnemesis of Larryace
I've noticed that drummers typically refer to drum sets as a specific kind of kit, according to the size of the bass drum. For example, in another thread, it was mentioned that kits with a 16" kick are referred to as "jungle" kits. I've also noticed that kits with 18" kicks primarily get called "bop" kits. 20" kicks often get called "jazz" kits and 22" kicks are the standard, or "rock" kit. Also, 26" kicks are considered "Bonham" sized, while I'm sure the annals of history will declare the 23" kick as "Peart" sized when this whole silly 23" bass drum phase goes the way of Pitch Blacks.

Of course, tom sizes have some influence. You wouldn't call a 26/10/12/14 a Bonham kit, and I don't know what a "jungle" kit with an 18" floor tom would be called...("backwards"?)

Does this just about sum it up? Anything I'm missing? Thoughts? Sarcastic remarks?

(yes, I'm calling you out, Zambizzi and Wavelength!)

A Caddy thread! I'd say you covered all the major highlights. I too am interested in seeing if the 23" drum will take off or not. Apparantly the snare has no influence when it comes to "categorizing" drum sets. If Bonham only knew the legacy he left, I hope he does somehow...

Is it a Drum Set or a Drum Kit???? Why is it called by both? I always thought Kit was a term from the UK? I have been confused about this for decades now.

Pure and simple...it's all marketing. Let's face it, drums haven't changed much in the past 50 years, so manufactures have to keep reinventing "the wheel". Go back 30 years, fusion was a type of music, not a drum configuration. Most of the greatest jazz and be-bop recordings had absolutely nothing to do with 18" kick drums. Or 20's. Simple, what was "in the studio, at the time". I much prefer "old school" nomenclature.......tell me you play a Keystone Ludwig 22, 12, 16. Or a Gretsch Round Badge 20, 12, 14. Leave the "buzz words" at home, next to the i-pod.

Pure and simple...it's all marketing.

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more. It is still interesting to talk about and ponder, though. At least to me...

Capital D...I have seen "Fusion" kits for sale with the 14" being a floor tom (with legs, not suspension mounted). Actually, probably more than I've seen the suspended floor toms, now that I think about it.

HeadRush...good luck with that, man. And post pics when you do!

TFIT...drum set, drum kit...tomAYto, tomAHto. I don't know where the difference lies. That WOULD be interesting to figure out, though.

Don't forget short stacks, shallow toms, standard toms and power toms. And the 40" beast bass drum would be the Tommy Lee bass drum...

Tommy20big20ass20drum.jpg

If it had a 22" bass drum inside it that was triggered.

Don't forget short stacks, shallow toms, standard toms and power toms. And the 40" beast bass drum would be the Tommy Lee bass drum...

Tommy20big20ass20drum.jpg

If it had a 22" bass drum inside it that was triggered.

It's not inside. It's in back of the 40. He tapes his setlist to the 40.

Interesting thread.... I play 18/10/14, and for the past few weeks I've just been working on Bonham grooves....

Back