Pearl Masters limited-edition MHP mahogany kit.

Signals

Hi All,

I posted this on the PDF, and I thought it would be nice to share here as well:

"I just received my Pearl Masters Limited Edition MHP kit from ""Music For All" http://www.musicforall.biz, and they were an absolute pleasure to deal with -- I highly recommend them. Moreover, they're an authorized Pearl dealer so warranty work will be no problem should any be necessary.

Anyway, on to the drums. They shipped in 2 boxes and were packaged separately with heads and hardware already attached. Upon opening, the first thing that I noticed was how thick the boxes were, and the fact that the kit arrived in perfect shape is in part a testament to the extra padding. The bass was packed and surrounded by carboard that allowed the drum to "float" within the box, while all of drums were wrapped in paper, then bubble wrap and then finally in plastic.

Everything about the kit is top-notch -- the finish is flawless, the tension rods are a breeze to adjust, and the fit and finish is superb. The entire kit just oozes class.

How do they sound? Well, I won't be able to tell you for a while because I'm just recovering from some recent surgery, and I cannot quite play just yet. However, I'll follow-up as soon as possible with full kit pics and further observations."

Attachments

• 0_BoxThickness.jpg
    0_BoxThickness.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 8,519
  • 9_FloorTom1.jpg
    9_FloorTom1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 8,278
  • 8_12Tom1.jpg
    8_12Tom1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 8,369
  • 7_10Tom1.jpg
    7_10Tom1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 8,680
  • 6_10TomWrappedinBox (2).jpg
    6_10TomWrappedinBox (2).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 8,320
  • 5_TomsBoxed.jpg
    5_TomsBoxed.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 8,353
  • 4_BassWrapped.jpg
    4_BassWrapped.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 8,341
  • 3_BassBoxTop.jpg
    3_BassBoxTop.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 8,359
  • 2_BassBoxBottom.jpg
    2_BassBoxBottom.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 8,360
  • 1_BoxesStacked.jpg
    1_BoxesStacked.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 8,406
  • 19_BearingEdge.jpg
    19_BearingEdge.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 8,121
  • 18_ScarfJoint.jpg
    18_ScarfJoint.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 8,060
  • 17_InsideShellBadge.jpg
    17_InsideShellBadge.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 8,140
  • 16_InsideDrum.jpg
    16_InsideDrum.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 9,355
  • 15_AllDrums.jpg
    15_AllDrums.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 8,650
  • 14_Bass4.jpg
    14_Bass4.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 9,259
  • 13_Bass3.jpg
    13_Bass3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 8,270
  • 12_Bass2.jpg
    12_Bass2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 8,251
  • 11_Bass1.jpg
    11_Bass1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 8,224
  • 10_AllDrumsWrapped.jpg
    10_AllDrumsWrapped.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 8,324
  • 23_Logo3.jpg
    23_Logo3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 7,980
  • 22_Logo2.jpg
    22_Logo2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 8,010
  • 21_LimitedLogo.jpg
    21_LimitedLogo.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 8,110
  • 20_BassProtector.jpg
    20_BassProtector.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 8,031
Beautiful wood grain. Awesome finish. Mahogany with re-rings. That should give off a nice "old school" type warm sound.

O.O

wow, that is positively stunning my friend, it must be absolute hell not being able to play those beauts.

Can't wait to see it set up with cymbals. Hope you recover quickly!

-Jonathan

Wow Signals, you must be having a great start to 2010 with a new Mapex and these SWEET Pearls. I have a new found love for Mahogany, I may have to see if Matt can get me some of these.

I have to throw in a plug for Music For All. I also bought my Pearl bop kit from them and am very pleased with their service.

Nice kit, get healed up so you can get playing these babys.

Mike

That is one of the best looking wood grains I have seen. Congrats on a great looking set. did you get to hear the mahogany before you bought it?

Last edited:
That's beautiful, I bet they sound fantastic, too. Nobody does quality like Pearl. The shells seem rather thick, however. I guess that's just how Pearl rolls.

I thought the limited edition mahogany kits were supposed to be 4 ply shells with 3 ply reinforcement rings?

Thanks for the kind words and well wishes everyone :)

Drifter in the Dark, those sizes are correct.

GRUNTERSDAD, I did not get to hear it in person, only a sound sample from the Memphis Drum Shop site.

zambizzi, Solaris, the shells are thin mahogany reinforced with maple rings.

Pearl has released these very special, limited edition African mahogany 4 piece shell pack drum sets. The drums are 4 plies of African mahogany with maplereinforcement rings. The shells are finished in a beautiful redmahogany fade (#341). Pearl's supreme quality African mahogany givesthese drums a vintage dark, warm, rich tone that separates itself fromdrums constructed of other materials. The drums include a 22x18 bass drum, 10x8 and 12x9 toms and a 16x16 floor tom. All toms feature chromesuper hoops, aluminum optimount tom holders and remo clear ambassadorheads. One of the nicest looking Limited Edition finishes Pearl produces and the sound of the 4-ply mahogany 5mm shell with maple reinforcement rings is amazing. Only 30 of these limited edition kits will be available in the U.S.

I own a different version of this kit.. 18x22, 8x10, 9x12, 14x14 and has a matching masterworks snare 14 x 4 1/2 or 5 ish.. 24 karat gold plated hardware.. I'll get better pics up but this one will have to do from my phone for now... Nice kit btw it looks good in chrome hardware as well!! I got black suedes on the tops, black x on the snare, no muffling in kick or on any toms or neither on the snare.. it sounds too good!

Attachments

• kitrob.jpg
    kitrob.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 7,742
I own a different version of this kit.. 18x22, 8x10, 9x12, 14x14 and has a matching masterworks snare 14 x 4 1/2 or 5 ish.. 24 karat gold plated hardware.. I'll get better pics up but this one will have to do from my phone for now... Nice kit btw it looks good in chrome hardware as well!! I got black suedes on the tops, black x on the snare, no muffling in kick or on any toms or neither on the snare.. it sounds too good!

I'm in canada but I seem to have the european version! =)

http://www.pearleurope.com/WhatsUpN...goryId=3&CategoryName=Press releases&MenuId=1

thirdsouth, that looks great with gold!!!

Here's a few pics of mine setup...not the best as it was dark and flash was used...

Attachments

• Overhead.jpg
    Overhead.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 7,560
  • Side2.jpg
    Side2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 7,591
  • LookingUp.jpg
    LookingUp.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 7,577
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 7,640
As a Pearl owner myself I'm sure to be parcel. Your new Mahogany kit is stunning! If I ever buy another Pearl kit it would be the mahogany kits (though they only made a very few of them, one would have to have them built in the Masterworks series). Please post some audio if you can!

Signals your kit looks crazy too! we're kit buddies! hah.. everyone that sees/plays them gets blown away and usually I can see the "why the hell do YOU have a kit like this!?" in their faces but HEY its gosh darn worth it!!! P>S> I have black suedes for all heads now, and no more aux snare.. I'll get another pic tomorrow thats updated.. what kind of music do you use your kit for? I use mine for pretty much anything from death metal to rap, it does it ALL.. Especially with the HHX ride and hats, HH and AA Sabian Cymbals.. I do like your zildjians though!!

Attachments

• kit66.jpg
    kit66.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 7,454
Last edited:
Hi again fellas,

I took a couple of pics a few days ago in somewhat better lighting...

(thirdsouth, how do you like the black suedes?)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 8,343
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 7,314
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 7,250
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 7,191
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 7,155
signals the black suedes are great!! I read that the Pearl Rep whatshisname. Gene Oko something- anyways he recommended the skins for this kit at an interview about the kit at namm 09.. I also sometimes use e-rings on them too! The drummer for Everytime I Die was over today and he enjoyed the kit as well, told me the kick was crazy! And of course everyone always loves the toms! I'll take some pics now..

Back