wikiloops wants you! anyone got a beat to share?

MrSnuts

Hey everybody & thanx for checking this out! This thread might turn out to be of interest to anyone drumming with some homerecording skills, whos not immediatly turned off by the idea of sharing some recordings for free.
You still with me? Good!
I am trying to find some homerecording people that would be interested in getting a collection of different style drumbeats together, which shall be used as free backing tracks and remix base for musicians of all trades. Me and some friends have set it up at wikiloops.com, and even tho we only got started on April 1st this yar, there has been quite some action music-wise. Still, theres demand for a wider variety of drumbeats... so if anyone got some mp3-material to share, that would be most kind.

If you wanna check it out, I'll give you the link to a short introductionary clip on the project:

http://www.wikiloops.com/viewpage.php?page_id=90

Greetings from germany

Dick

P.S.
lets be honest, YES, I am the fool that played all theese rather simple beats posted there by user "Baer" ...

thank you very much for giving this project a chance to grow!

hmmm, I wont call that cynical, its just a quick judgement.
Think I made a point of saying this is about sharing, and comments & feedback from other people is something worth - otherwise noone would upload vids of themselves to youtube.
If you are worried about legal ripp of, check out the terms (youtubes, too ;-) before judging...
Its a fun thing - if I made a living on music, I propably would not support this so much. I rather see it from the point of view of someone who doesn't have time for regular band projects and who likes to have something happening with the music I record. Much better than only playing to myself, so muchs for sure :)

ah, I'll stay honest and just say I really hate people putting something down in a second... been working on this project four months, takes only thirty seconds to bash in front of a community... Sometimes lifes a b***h, but wont spoil a friday night on this now :)

Call me cynical, too.

There's no way I would ever hand over one of my stellar ideas to some stranger over the friggin' internet just looking for a free hand-out. Nevermind that I don't have any stellar ideas, it still ain't gonna happen.

Go find yourself a drummer, or go figure out how to play them yourself.

or go figure out how to play them yourself.

if you had taken the time to read my first post, you would have noticed I said I was the one who posted 99% of the drumtracks that are available on wikiloops so far. So much for figuring out...

never thought people would be scared so bad, thanks for the checkout anyways. Is it the vid looking commercial? I dont get it. Just check out whats hapening on site, and you'll see theres some friendly individuals using the platform.

Unfortunately, there is plenty of software and crap already out there, though considering this is free, maybe that's a little better. But I have no equipment to record to really.

yeah, seems recording drums is the hardest to do, no comparison to pluggin in some line-in instrument... thanx for the checkout anyways.

Seems like it could be fun from a community side of things, I'd be reluctant to invest too much of myself in it though.

Same reasons as the others, I'd rather not give my best creations away.

What are you talking about?

this thread will enter into my "weirdest forum experience ever" hall of fame...

Your name Dick is rather phallic, he was making an immature joke.

As much as I get the veiwpoint of others here, for a guy like myself with too much time on his hands and not enough of a creative outlet playing wise, something like this could be a bit of fun.

Unfortunately Snuts, I'm not in a position to record myself. But if I was, I could see how something like this could keep me off the streets for a bit. I think as long as you credit whoever lays down the parts for you, then all's fair.

Best of luck with it. ;-)

Unfortunately Snuts, I'm not in a position to record myself. But if I was, I could see how something like this could keep me off the streets for a bit. I think as long as you credit whoever lays down the parts for you, then all's fair.

Best of luck with it. ;-)

That is my situation aswell.

You are most likely not going to get anyone on drum forums.

Here is an idea. Try youtube-ing some drummers (since they Obviously have the means to record), and asking them. You will have a better chance there since alot of those drummers are looking for Publicity and would like to get their name out there. Peace out bro.

While we're at it, perhaps we could ask other industries to donate free services anonymously. I sure could use some flashing on my roof. It is slightly insulting, even though I realize that's not your intentions.

While we're at it, perhaps we could ask other industries to donate free services anonymously.

Economists are very open about the fact that what you're asking for here is indeed what's going to happen. Look into Jeremy Rifkin's "The End of Work." There is a fundamental shift happening, where technology is literally eliminating jobs across all industries. Our lifestyles and belief systems are becoming obsolete very quickly, as the ability to make a living by simply working hard will be impossible. A paradigmatic shift is happening whether we are openly facing it or not - just as this thread displays. Drums just happen to be one of the industries which has been affected dramatically in recent history. However, we're soon going to be replacing nearly all jobs. As resources becoming increasingly scarce, we are forced to extract and utilize them more efficiently. This is achieved through automation of most jobs -- manual labor, services, surgeons, you name it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thevenusprojectmedia#p/u/13/qGDzKWbU3bY

Unfortunately, wikiloops is a step ahead of the immediate economic problems we face as drummers (paying bills). But, there certainly isn't any logical reason for being offended or angry with what our friend here is doing. It's a systemic problem.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory or offensive - I'm simply stating my understanding of this issue. Please don't take my response personally, anybody.

-sheldon

Unfortunately, wikiloops is a step ahead of the immediate economic problems we face as drummers (paying bills). But, there certainly isn't any logical reason for being offended or angry with what our friend here is doing. It's a systemic problem.

-sheldon

thanks for taking some reason to this!

I am not in the situation of having to pay my bills by drumming, so I have the freedom to take a relaxed point of view in this.
Honestly, I dont see many dollars lost by sharing a low-fi recorded beat on a web platform - cant see a way to sell such quality. Wikiloops rather competes with drummachines built into almost anything theese days.
Second, if you have the equipment to record drums at hand, you will propably have some hours of testing recordings on your HD (I do), and hanging on to theese thinking of them as potential monetary wealth is kind of illusionary to me, theres just too much out there.

If you look at what is happening in the music biz economically, you'll have to notice the web & especially youtube have changed the market drastically, but when some jobs became obsolete, other niches develop - just think of those earning good money with popular youtube channels, promoting their DVDs or whatever else... and with wikiloops, there is just another way of getting your stuff to be heard by people.

I understand the doubts and the strange feeling when doin stuff for free you think one should be paid for. On the other hand, I rather DO stuff than get the blues about no one wanting to pay me ;-)

Are there many among us here that have been paid for recorded drumtracks on a web collab basis? I just cant imagine, so I'd really be interested.

no offense & flaming meant or taken either

While we're at it, perhaps we could ask other industries to donate free services anonymously. I sure could use some flashing on my roof. It is slightly insulting, even though I realize that's not your intentions.

It happens... You ever use Firefox? Audacity? These are open source programs that are developed by volunteers (and there are thousands, maybe millions, of others including full operating system). Programmers, artists, translators, testers, etc. all help because they enjoy it and want to contribute.

And it doesn't have to be a selfless act; you can get something out of it for yourself. Contributing to online communities is a great way for newbs to get exposure, experience, and resume material. I make a great living now as a programmer, but I didn't go to college or anything else traditional like that. I taught myself by reading books and writing code, then eventually started creating and contributing to open source projects. They never really went anywhere, but it was enough "experience" to get my foot in the door and start getting paid to do it...

And I don't believe it's anonymous, I haven't checked out the site, but from what I've read here it sounds like credit is given...

Good luck to the OP. Sounds cool.

Back