AVH's New Signature Ludwig Snare

mikei

Gold Member
Anyone hear anything about this?

I saw the add in MD about it.

15 ply rosewood with tube lugs.

I haven't been able to find anymore on it.

Mike

I may be wrong, but didn't he use Black Beauties? I don't remember him being known for a wood drum.

I may be wrong, but didn't he use Black Beauties? I don't remember him being known for a wood drum.

I know,

That is why I was surprised to see the add for the snare drum!!!!

You're right, it's coming out.

Ludwig AVH limited edition signature snare drum.

15 plys of Honduran Santos Rosewood, tube lugs, cast hoops, classic millennial strainer and 40 strands snare wire.

Nothing but wood ! Night after night.

It will be announced at NAMM I presume because the MD ad was in the feb. issue.

He used Ludwig Supersensitive and Supraphonics. With heavy-ply heads (usually Silver Dot Ludwigs or Remo CS) and lots of duct tape lol.

I have always been a big fan of his snare sound, I look forward to maybe trying out this new snare.

I think I read elsewhere here on DW that his studio drum was always an old rosewood drum? No doubt he used the SS/SP live.

It will be a 15 ply as well. Any guess on the price? Do any of the limited edition signature Ludwig's go up in price or at least maintain their value? My dealer said the snare sells for about $700 (final price).

Paul
Parker, CO

I have also heard Alex has used Tama snare's as well. By the way, I recently purchased a 13x7 Black Magic.

Paul
Parker, CO

Yes, it turns out that he used a Tama 1980s rosewood snare drum for a time too.

Which has to do with this signature snare drum.

Also, 2009 marks the 100th anniversary of the Ludwig drum company and there will be several limited-edition products to celebrate this.

Some of these will be snare drums and there will be a special 100th anniversary DVD too.

Last edited:
I have also heard Alex has used Tama snare's as well. By the way, I recently purchased a 13x7 Black Magic.

Paul
Parker, CO

How do you like the snare.

It is one of the next drums I am looking at.

I saw and photographed it at NAMM over the weekend. It's s stunning looking and sounding drum. It has a fat crack and is also very warm and sensitive, no doubt because of the properties of the wood and the 40 strand snare wires that come standard on the drum.

I'm planning on ordering one this week.

To "56BelAir"...your dealer quoted you $700 out the door for the drum? Wow...great deal. Can I have his number? Where is he located? A local dealer quoted me $850 with a 4 to 5 week wait.

Thanks!

Arturo
(Los Angeles, CA)

Just for you Mike..................

DSCN7667.jpg

DSCN7505.jpg

I saw and photographed it at NAMM over the weekend. It's s stunning looking and sounding drum. It has a fat crack and is also very warm and sensitive, no doubt because of the properties of the wood and the 40 strand snare wires that come standard on the drum.

I'm planning on ordering one this week.

To "56BelAir"...your dealer quoted you $700 out the door for the drum? Wow...great deal. Can I have his number? Where is he located? A local dealer quoted me $850 with a 4 to 5 week wait.

Thanks!

Arturo
(Los Angeles, CA)

That is a very good deal — considering that the Minimum Advertsied Price is $949.

Could still get one of the Gretsch Rosewood snares for under that though and they have three sizes to choose from.

It's a shame that Ludwig doesn't have squat on their website ....NAMM is over ....it's not like they didn't know what was being announced for NAMM, right? Why is it that Mapex, and Tama have all their stuff up ....but Ludwig, who NEEDS to keep this kind of stuff up-to-date to continue their re-newal, can't seem to get it together?

I agree with fussion, and the AVH is too expensive for me.
It looks kickass and I'm sure it sounds great....
I could buy one, but a $7-800 end price on a snare drum is more than I am willing to pay.
I'll stick with my measly Black Beauties.

I've been drooling over that since I saw the ad in the last MD. BUT I just spent $949 on a Brady in September Soooooooo I will wait until Someone sells it used on Ebay for half price..LOL.

And Yes he said back in an interview in 1986 or there abouts that he records using a 6.5X14 Tama Rosewood snare drum. Or did in that era and for most of the early VH records.

Back