The Bonham set thread

themac5150

Someone had mentioned starting "the best Bonham set" thread. I guess its really hard to say any one is the best, when they are all relatively the same, and all loved by their owners. But it would be cool for everyone whose got a Bonham setup, to post a pic of their kit here. So here we go...

Last edited:
Is that your set? Or is that just a pic off google or somethin?? either way its nice. I don't really see too many Ludwig sets like Bonham used anymore.

sweet kit.....im waiting for ludwig to come out with their bonham kit that their only selling exclusivly to guitar center. Its in the august catalog. Now all i have to do is sell my stage custom for at least 500 bucks and ill have enough money.

Bonham15 said:
Is that your set? Or is that just a pic off google or somethin?? either way its nice. I don't really see too many Ludwig sets like Bonham used anymore.

i see them everywhere

Really? Maybe its because i live in PA. it seems everyone here has a huge double bass setup. A lot of the drummers here are idiots and think smaller, more basic sets are for pussies...

Bonham15 said:
Really? Maybe its because i live in PA. it seems everyone here has a huge double bass setup. A lot of the drummers here are idiots and think smaller, more basic sets are for pussies...

i love the idea of the simpler set. Make you more creative with fills and technique

im waiting for ludwig to come out with their bonham kit that their only selling exclusivly to guitar center
What is so exclusive about it? I ordered mine as a shell pack from Midwest Percussion for $1929.95, and got to choose the exact color I wanted. Wrapped drums are a little bit cheaper, but more durable, that's why I chose wraps. If you're talking about the stainless steel limited addition set...YOUR THE MAN!

themac5150 said:
What is so exclusive about it? I ordered mine as a shell pack from Midwest Percussion for $1929.95, and got to choose the exact color I wanted. Wrapped drums are a little bit cheaper, but more durable, that's why I chose wraps. If you're talking about the stainless steel limited addition set...YOUR THE MAN!

ya i wish the i could afford the stainless steel kit...but ludwig made a whole line of bonham kits just exclusivley for guitar center to sell. Its not the exact exact sizes tho but really close to them

philipine mohogany wood

14x6.5 snare
26x16 bass
13x9 tom w/ snare stand
16x16 floor tom
18x16 floor tom

either in natural maple finish or in silver sparkle (i dont know why they wouldnt do green sparkle)

pdp 9091 said:
ya i wish the i could afford the stainless steel kit...but ludwig made a whole line of bonham kits just exclusivley for guitar center to sell. Its not the exact exact sizes tho but really close to them

philipine mohogany wood

14x6.5 snare
26x16 bass
13x9 tom w/ snare stand
16x16 floor tom
18x16 floor tom

either in natural maple finish or in silver sparkle (i dont know why they wouldnt do green sparkle)
Oh, that sounds like a step DOWN from what you have now. I don't think you'd be impressed. It sounds like the entry level accent drums.

themac5150 said:
Oh, that sounds like a step DOWN from what you have now. I don't think you'd be impressed. It sounds like the entry level accent drums.

well me being only 16 i dont have 2000 to spend away on a new classic maple set

pdp 9091 said:
well me being only 16 i dont have 2000 to spend away on a new classic maple set

Don't get me wrong, not knocking it one bit. If that's what you want then go for it. I've heard good things about the Yamahas, that's all.

themac5150 said:
Don't get me wrong, not knocking it one bit. If that's what you want then go for it. I've heard good things about the Yamahas, that's all.

well now that im thinking about it, i might want to keep saving another 1000 after i sell my kit to get something like yours. It would definatly be worth the wait and i might be more satisfied. I still have time to decide though

c761e782.jpg

Here is my "Green Monster". Definately the best kit I have ever owned, incredible sound!

If you order through a Ludwig dealer you should be able to get any size that Ludwig offers in any configuration. My kit is not a "Bonham Kit" it wasn't a package deal. I ordered the sizes and color that I wanted.

on my bonham setup for my drumset feels too weird when doing fillz and having to turn my body around so much to hit the last floortom. Does anyone else have this problem?

k, I just registered for the drummerworld discussion forum and I have a few questions I hope to have answered eventually.

QUESTION #1
Does anyone else have the setup where they have 2 floortoms? Because when I put I have two floortoms on my set, John Bonham Style. It just makes it more strenous and hard to turn my body all the way toward my the last floor tom.

QUESTION #2
What personally do you guys think sounds better? New Beat or Quick Beat? I have a Quick Beat.

QUESTION #3
What is the difference between all the different wood types that drumsets are made out of? I have Maple.

QUESTION #4
Can anyone really do what John Bonham does on "Moby dick" with one pedal? and Who can? Cause I have been working on it and I can only partially do the double pedal sound with one pedal thing. I do a weird heel-toe action...

That is all for now, But if any of you could answer any of my questions I would greatly appreciate it.

I have two drums to my left, their just not floor toms. But I did it for the same purpose. I can reach them fine. Try backing up the throne a little bit and move it a little to the left. [I'm supposing your right handed]

I don't have New Beats or Quick Beats. And your in the wrong thread.

All I know about woods is that mahogany is lowest, maple's in the middle, and birch is at the top. Also in the wrong thread. I tried a thread about this and someone gave me this link.

http://drumdojo.com/tech/shelldesign.htm

I bet someone could play as fast as Bonzo with their right foot. What I don't think that person sould do is have the groove and the style like Bonham did+ the insane foot speed. Even if you could do that all together, your cheating. You have to create your own style.

Shawnathen said:
k, I just registered for the drummerworld discussion forum and I have a few questions I hope to have answered eventually.

QUESTION #1
Does anyone else have the setup where they have 2 floortoms? Because when I put I have two floortoms on my set, John Bonham Style. It just makes it more strenous and hard to turn my body all the way toward my the last floor tom.

QUESTION #2
What personally do you guys think sounds better? New Beat or Quick Beat? I have a Quick Beat.

QUESTION #3
What is the difference between all the different wood types that drumsets are made out of? I have Maple.

QUESTION #4
Can anyone really do what John Bonham does on "Moby dick" with one pedal? and Who can? Cause I have been working on it and I can only partially do the double pedal sound with one pedal thing. I do a weird heel-toe action...

That is all for now, But if any of you could answer any of my questions I would greatly appreciate it.

Answers:

Q1
I do have my set up like bonhams (and like 3957887386 other drummers) with the 2 floor tom set up and no i dont have problems with turning my body. In fact i dont turn my body....i keep it straight and just turn my right arm. Youll adapt to it eventually

Q2.
I personally like the quick beats better. I do not own them but i like them better than new beats because they have more crisp and more defined sound to me.

Q3.
All different shell types produce more darker, more brighter, more louder, more softer sounds.

Maple:

Maple is a general overall warm sounding product, it can reproduce frequencies of the drum fairly well across the spectrum.

Mahogany:

True mahogany from USA or Honduras will have about a 20% increase in low frequency resonance over the maple drum, mid and high frequencies will be the same from a reproduction point of view, but because the Mahogany has the 20% low end increase, the perceived tone is warmer.

Birch:

Birch is a very dense tough wood, blond in color that tools well. It will have about a 10% loss in reproduction of low end compared to Maple and about a 20% increase in the high end, with the mid range remaining about the same, so the Birch kit will definitely be a “harder” and “brighter” sounding kit

Poplar:

Poplar is derived from fast growing straight medium hardwood trees and is a less expensive alternative to Birch and Maple.

Q4
People have definatly master bonhams foot speed in every song....easily....Can you say JoJo Mayer?? And in the studio recording theres really nothing goin on with his foot speed that is really hard to master....his live solo is much more advanced

Last edited:
As far as playing with two floor toms there are many different things you can do to make it more comfortable. Some people say that sitting higher makes it more comfortable to hit that second floor tom. Or you can tilt the drums toward you more which some say helps. Personally I like my floor toms flat as possible and instead of having them in a direct line move the second floor tom out a little bit. By doing this it feels more natural rolling down the kit for me.

Back