Another Example Of How The Role Of A Drummer In Song Support Is Evolving

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
I mentioned something similar in a different post in which I mentioned Scott Amendola's work with Charlie Hunter-here is a clip of Steve Goold demonstrating tasty streamline drumming (percussion?) for a Sara Bareilles song. I am finding these players inspiring. I'm going to have get me one of those small cymbals.

www.drumeo.com/blog/steve-goold-sara-bareilles/

What do you mean by "the role of a drummer in song support is changing".?

This is not sarcasm by the way, I genuinly want to know what it was that made you think of that as a thread title.

I too watched this video over the weekend and its interesting that the drummer played this the way he did (if indeed it was recorded like that), where listening to the record I presumed that some over dubbing and sampling was going on to get those sounds.

What do you mean by "the role of a drummer in song support is changing".?

This is not sarcasm by the way, I genuinly want to know what it was that made you think of that as a thread title.

I too watched this video over the weekend and its interesting that the drummer played this the way he did (if indeed it was recorded like that), where listening to the record I presumed that some over dubbing and sampling was going on to get those sounds.

There have been threads discussing such things as less is more etc; I thought that this was a good example of not playing in a standard hi-hat, snare, bass drum fashion and how even keeping it simple (as far as drum choices not the playing as he has excellent chops) can be all a song needs to carry it, playing with a cymbal on the snare is a fairly new innovation as far as I know and that is part of the evolution aspect Hope that explains it.

Ah got ya. Yep totally agree it was nice to see something simple, yet nicely thought out and interesting

When Goold was on Drum Channel I think he stated that he is just Sara's touring drummer for this tour and that he had to come up with creative ways to play the programmed drums and percussion sounds and patterns live.

By the way, I really dug his playing and attitude as well!

Very cool track, but really there's nothing new going on here. Jim Keltner has been shaking stuff for decades, and the splash cymbal on the snare has been around for centuries lol. But still a very well played interesting drum part.

Very cool track, but really there's nothing new going on here. Jim Keltner has been shaking stuff for decades, and the splash cymbal on the snare has been around for centuries lol. But still a very well played interesting drum part.

I guess some things come & go & come back again.

Cheers

Ah got ya. Yep totally agree it was nice to see something simple, yet nicely thought out and interesting

It is just something that has been tweaking my approach to playing, especially now that I am getting older. I see now that I could described it in the title better.

Cheers,

Back