Funky Buddy

I think that is the funkiest I ever heard him play that song.

What an animal. He looks a bit scary with that mo.

I didn't like it. Does he have to solo on every song? OK not every song but it seems like it. Not even crazy about that version of the song. The Goatee is creepy and the dancers are a riot.

Calling them like I see them,

Larry

I didn't like it. Does he have to solo on every song? OK not every song but it seems like it. Not even crazy about that version of the song. The Goatee is creepy and the dancers are a riot.

Calling them like I see them,

Larry
Skills off the chart, but dance floor killing too. If that was a "faux" party merely to serve Buddy's promo purposes, then great. If that was a real party, & a working party band, that would be his last gig ;) I'm going with the former.

That was nice! I think the solo was a bit long but ok. (His left hand singles are shocking...)
A bearded Buddy? Never knew of that but it suits him.
Ah, the 70's - that's when I was made ;-)

I do have mad respect when he does that shuffly thing with his left hand on the snare. He did a little of it around 2:20 but I've seen vids of him where he really explores that figure. That is seriously hard to do and it just flows right out of him. IDK I don't like the feel of this tune, too fast. It doesn't breathe to me. The solo was a little odd I thought too.

I absolutely love hearing a bunch of guys at home on their computers judging Buddy Rich

my dose of comedy for the day.... thanks guys .... nothing at all against you or your opinions... absolutely not.... just funny to me thats all

I still love ya.... even though you are a bunch of silly old codgers

:)

I don't think its any secret that funk/soul jazz is out of Buddy's element. His solo here is certainly an example of that.

But his groove rocked- I disagree with pretty much everything you said Jim. If this was Cannonball's group, yea, slow this down twenty clicks and lay down that 2&4 till the cows come home.

But Buddy feels everything he does ahead of the beat, and when you consider that, I think he made great musical decisions, namely upping the tempo and being freer with the backbeat. Not only did it work, it felt great. All that chatter gives it life, and I appreciate it.

Case and point: Dave Weckl covers this tune for the Burning for Buddy sessions. He approaches it from a more pop-R&B side as Jim suggests... that sucked - a thousand times worse than this. It was boring and lifeless.

(in my opinion of course)

I love to watch buddy play. Amazing hands.

However, in this video he is not keeping good time. He allows the song to slow down.
He is not in charge of the groove, instead he is playing along with the band.
His snare work is too busy for this song. He is playing this "funk" like it is 1940's big band music.
His left hand should be playing a solid 2 and 4. Way too many ghost notes.
His solo does not fit in with the song.
Overall this is a poor example of how to play the drums.

I guess it was true, he really did not like rock and roll and R&B.

Davey Tough would have never let that happen. But... Davey Toughs legacy resides in almost total obscurity these days when many books about that era always tell of Davey Toughs abilities to drive the band in ways no other drummer could. Not Krupa, or Rich for that matter.

Rich, Krupa, Tough, Philly Joe, and all those drummers are the greats from a time when even our coveted British invasion bands sat up and took note and regarded those bands very highly. The Brits also regarded old blues performers very highly at a time when they were virtually unknown in their own country. Americans were Big Band, Sweet Band and Swing fanatics... Sinatra ushered in the era of the singer fronted bands and it morphed from there.

Mind your history, it's there and it is definitely relevant.

Hats off to them and props all around.

I love to watch buddy play. Amazing hands.

However, in this video he is not keeping good time. He allows the song to slow down.
He is not in charge of the groove, instead he is playing along with the band.
His snare work is too busy for this song. He is playing this "funk" like it is 1940's big band music.
His left hand should be playing a solid 2 and 4. Way too many ghost notes.
His solo does not fit in with the song.
Overall this is a poor example of how to play the drums.

I guess it was true, he really did not like rock and roll and R&B.

Not keeping good time??? Not in charge of the groove???? Solid 2&4 backbeat????

Poor example?????

When you can play that "bad" - please put your money where your words are and shows us the way....

I think it's time I take up a new instrument.

The dancing is hilarious, although it comes off as looking fake. As if they are trying to pretend big band music is the disco they want to be hearing.

I've never seen Buddy with facial hair.

I'd dance like that if Buddy were to play at my private party!

Threads like this remind me that just because someone's a drummer doesn't mean s/he knows what s/he's talking about.

Yes, I took a simplistic view, & probably without due reverence to Buddy's mad skills (even though I mentioned them) but my observation from my computer position was with regards to the party setting Tony, not Buddy's obvious status. I'm assuming that whole video was set up to feature Buddy, in which case, it's great. Sorry if I came across as a bedroom critic. Just making a cross era "tongue in cheek" observation. I'll refrain from doing so in the future

Yes, I took a simplistic view, & probably without due reverence to Buddy's mad skills (even though I mentioned them) but my observation from my computer position was with regards to the party setting Tony, not Buddy's obvious status. I'm assuming that whole video was set up to feature Buddy, in which case, it's great. Sorry if I came across as a bedroom critic. Just making a cross era "tongue in cheek" observation. I'll refrain from doing so in the future

I actually didn't consider your post part of what prompted my response at all

more uncle L and Jim ....

... and I meant it very light hearted anyway

Great solo, he looked good sporting an imperial, but I thought that black man's dancing was entertaining too. They sure had some funky dance moves back then.

I think that was one of those goofy Playboy channel parties that Hefner used to have on his television shows

Back