Show me some octobans!

Ferret

I am interested in picking up a set of the low pitched ones, but I'm a little confused on how the mounting mechanisms work.

Does anyone have a set of recently purchased octobans I could look at? I'm looking to get them onto a girbraltar double bass rack but I want them linear not in a clump of 4, is anyone running this set up?

Thanks!

Well... the whole truth of that is in fact that I had someone cut and drill the shells for them and send me the parts to go with them (lugs, hoops heads). The only thing I really did was the finishing.
But if I may say so myself, I did a pretty good job at that and it's probably also the hardest part of it. Apart from the bearing edge.

One day I might give it another go and do it all by myself. I'll probably be much prouder in the end. I sold the ones I had because I never used them.

I have a set of the High pitched ones and they sound crazy tight!

the mount for the Octobans is basically just a piece that the Octoban slides in to (I'm not sure if I have any pics of the mount but I have some octoban pics for now and I'll take some pics later and update this) Hope I helped!

-Jonathan

Attachments

• Tama Warlord DW 6.jpg
    Tama Warlord DW 6.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 3,980
  • Tama Warlord DW 7.jpg
    Tama Warlord DW 7.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 4,847
  • Tama Warlord DW 10.jpg
    Tama Warlord DW 10.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 3,395
  • Tama Warlord DW 3.jpg
    Tama Warlord DW 3.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 4,266
I've collected a few odd sets over the years. First up, my long gone Peace metal Octobans in alternating lengths from longest to second shortest. I originally got them to go with a Tama Superstar kit, but replaced them after I switched to DW. It was just too big of a juxtaposition. And the mounting system for these are just horrifying.

peaceOctos.jpg

Second set, my clear acrylics in custom built lengths by Fibes with DW mounts shown with my old birch kit. These replaced the set from Peace. Ahhh... the sanity of DW mounts.

fibesOctos_01.jpg

fibesOctos_02.jpg

Third, my newly added and totally one (or six) of a kind, 8" maple shelled octos from DW. Of course, DW calls them Rata Toms to avoid stepping on Tama's toes, but they are still Octobans to me. Only ten times more amazing. Imagine octobans but with the warmth, tone and sustain of DW maple x-shells. Anyway, getting all these circles together in close proximity was a challenge, again met by DW mounts and some custom made Z-arms.

kit_0816_left.jpg

kit_0816_back.jpg

I also once owned a legit set of Tama Octobans back in the mid 80's. They worked well enough, but I never really liked the mounting system. While they were miles better than the sorry excuse for mounts that Peace provides, I found them to be a bit limiting and cave man-ish. If I ever got another set of the real deal (like maybe a complete set of vintage acrylics!), I would have the mounts replaced.

The only thing I hate more than crappy mounting hardware is crappy mounting hardware. :)

Well I'm at work so I dont have any pics, but two bits of input here: 1>Agreed with Brundlefly, the mounting hardware on the Peace octobans was a nightware, I got rid of mine soon after buying them. 2>Check out ddrum's deccabons (I bought a pair of 18 & 20 inch so you get the lower pitch), they are acrylic like Tama's but about half the price. The mounting system is better than the Peace hardware, but they have a similar flaw, the mount on the drum itself is too close to the head to be able to get any 'reach' or extension away from the stand. I removed the mounting hardware on the drums, and CAREFULLY redrilled the holes further down the tube, so I can place the stand on the far side of my hi hat, and the heads of the deccabons extend over the hi hat itself into a comfortable playing position.

Well I'm at work so I dont have any pics, but two bits of input here: 1>Agreed with Brundlefly, the mounting hardware on the Peace octobans was a nightware, I got rid of mine soon after buying them. 2>Check out ddrum's deccabons (I bought a pair of 18 & 20 inch so you get the lower pitch), they are acrylic like Tama's but about half the price. The mounting system is better than the Peace hardware, but they have a similar flaw, the mount on the drum itself is too close to the head to be able to get any 'reach' or extension away from the stand. I removed the mounting hardware on the drums, and CAREFULLY redrilled the holes further down the tube, so I can place the stand on the far side of my hi hat, and the heads of the deccabons extend over the hi hat itself into a comfortable playing position.

Oh yeah, your mentioning DDRUMS reminds me. GMS used to offer a set of four long length acrylics. I don't know if they still do. Looking at their site gives the impression that they have slimmed way down and are perhaps just barely alive. A lot of links to blanksville. Probably just a bad site. ANyway, it was the GMS octobans that lead me to having an acrylic set made, so maybe worth a peak.

Back