I Want to Gig!

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I'm really trying hard to get together with other musicians around my area - and it's really tough. There doesn't seem to be many (hardly any, actually) musicians looking for drummers. I'm just not all that sure about what to do.

I have thought about putting up a CL ad (again) and this time spell out my desire to start an actual working band but I'm not sure how to do it or what my responsibility would be. All I have is my drums.

I just want to play!!

Is this a normal level of frustration that I should feel?

Any cogent advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

It's always darkest before the dawn.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

If life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

OK that's enough sunshine.

Start your own band.

Instead of trying to join, try and recruit.

Yep, having your own band guarantees that you'll get to play, at least in a regular rehearsal situation to start. There are probably a lot of other players in the same situation, just looking to play at any level. In time, you start promoting the band for local gigs, even private parties. Hook up with event planners who coordinate corporate gigs, weddings, etc.

If you play what people want to hear, and you play it well, there'll be work.

Bermuda

Starting my own band worked for me. In the beginning I didn't really have any ambitions: I just wanted other musicians to play with, but it's grown like Topsy, and it's gone in directions I never anticipated. For example, once we thought we were starting to sound half-decent, we thought we might open for our guitarist's other band, but this hasn't happened: we have come to exist in our own right, we have our own identity, and don't need to piggyback on another band. We have a nice, unique little niche in our community - I found out last night that a local festival wants us for next August, and we'd already been told that another festival want us back next May - and a couple of months ago we acquired a new band member who actually asked if he could join us because he thought what we did was fun.

I think I've been extremely lucky with the way it's worked out, but at the same time I did my best to make the band happen in the first place, and since then all of us have worked very hard to keep making things happen.

Great advice from the others! Also, do you hang around where people play music? Other bands' gigs attract musicians, you meet them, you introduce yourself to the guys who are playing, you see the same musicians in the crowd again on another night out, maybe you buy someone a beer and get to know people, word gets around, badda-bing badda-boom -- someone needs a drummer and there you are.

Keep looking for musicians to play with. Keep placing ads on craigslist.

Check meetup.com for musical jamming and/or gigging opportunities in your area.

Where I live, there are several on-going meetup groups of people meeting to play, open mics, form bands, etc.

Oh, queso. I created a new CL ad. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Here's the link:
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/muc/4625802024.html

That's a great ad! Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.
Sounds to me like good advice above, all around.

My current band, long story - we (bass player and I) can't get them to gig (guitarist is too busy with family stuff)...
But when I get better (in a year or two), definitely starting another band as well...

agreed about the middle aged crisis comment,

I wouldn't have put down that you were adequate either - that's not going to attract people.
be positive about your abilities!

and good luck :)

I thought the 'middle age crisis' line was pretty funny...

I guess the music scene in your paticular area has quite a bit to do with the availability of bands. I put an ad on CL a few years ago and got 5 or 6 responses within the first week. Between that and answering other ads I auditioned for at least a dozen different bands. I pretty much had my pick of who to play with. I am now in a second band with guys who saw me at a local gig and recruited me to play with them.

I am not bragging, I got those first auditions based on nothing more than an ad. Nobody had heard me play, there is just such a dearth of drummers here that anybody with a kit and some ambition can find a band.

One thing I will say is that you didnt put that you are a drummer in the headline of the ad. A band looking for a drummer would not have clicked on your ad. You want to keep all of your options open.

Keep plugging away and you will find something. If a hack like myself can find people to play with I am sure anybody can. Just be easy to get along with and be confident in yourself, that goes a long way.

I'm not sure the "middle aged crisis" statement was the advert's finest point. Good luck with it all, & hang on in there!

agreed about the middle aged crisis comment,

I wouldn't have put down that you were adequate either - that's not going to attract people.
be positive about your abilities!

and good luck :)

I thought the 'middle age crisis' line was pretty funny...

I was indeed trying to use a little humor to narrow down the age criteria without being so blatant about it. Also. I will remove the "adequate" statement. I guess I'm too humble.

Any suggestions or how to reword this part??

One thing I will say is that you didnt put that you are a drummer in the headline of the ad. A band looking for a drummer would not have clicked on your ad. You want to keep all of your options open.

You're right, I should have stated in the title that I am a drummer. Good call.

Good luck to you, but in the interest of helping you I'd have to say your ad could be a bit of a turn off to some. It's too strong and you come off a little bossy (even though I'd guess you're not). It could also be much shorter.
First line, don't tell people what to read , or 'read it all', they will read if interested and what they want. It comes off like a grade school teacher or a survey ' please complete the following quetsionnaire'.
Second line, shouting 'SERIOUS ENQUIRIES ONLY' is a given turn off.
Bits about no ego and kinds of players are unrealistic - Do you think soembody with an ego trip knows they have one, and will not apply to your ad?
At the 1st get together, you get what you get, and they do too. People will describe themselves as all kinds of things, but the real deal comes when you start playing together.

My comments are only meant to help. Hope you find what you want, but your ad may turn away some.

Good luck to you, but in the interest of helping you I'd have to say your ad could be a bit of a turn off to some. It's too strong and you come off a little bossy (even though I'd guess you're not). It could also be much shorter.
First line, don't tell people what to read , or 'read it all', they will read if interested and what they want. It comes off like a grade school teacher or a survey ' please complete the following quetsionnaire'.
Second line, shouting 'SERIOUS ENQUIRIES ONLY' is a given turn off.
Bits about no ego and kinds of players are unrealistic - Do you think soembody with an ego trip knows they have one, and will not apply to your ad?
At the 1st get together, you get what you get, and they do too. People will describe themselves as all kinds of things, but the real deal comes when you start playing together.

My comments are only meant to help. Hope you find what you want, but your ad may turn away some.

You may be correct in your assessment of the ad. This is why I'm asking for this support. To be honest, I was in teacher mode when I wrote the ad late yesterday afternoon (that's my profession - Science teacher). Also, you're probably right about the tone of the ad. perhaps I need to tone it down a bit.

The main reason this ad seems kind of "hardball" is that I've been down this road a few times trying to recruit players and I end up with a lot of people who answer on a whim and aren't really all that serious.

I have this need, a strong overwhelming desire to get out there and play. Most of the people I come across are (no offense intended) flaky.

Keep the advice / suggestions coming. I really appreciate it.

This is what I would write:

Drummer available. Looking to play gigs. Rock, blues and soul styles.

You may be correct in your assessment of the ad. This is why I'm asking for this support. To be honest, I was in teacher mode when I wrote the ad late yesterday afternoon (that's my profession - Science teacher). Also, you're probably right about the tone of the ad. perhaps I need to tone it down a bit.

The main reason this ad seems kind of "hardball" is that I've been down this road a few times trying to recruit players and I end up with a lot of people who answer on a whim and aren't really all that serious.

I have this need, a strong overwhelming desire to get out there and play. Most of the people I come across are (no offense intended) flaky.

Keep the advice / suggestions coming. I really appreciate it.

I think your ad might attract people similar to you ... I found it just about right and I'm a science geek type who plays an instrument and probably about your age...

Didn't find it hardball at all, just someone who knows what they are looking for...

Just_James wrote my ad for me. It said something like "Drummer, 3 years' experience, seeks bandmates to play songs from the 60s to present day" and it named a few classic bands, almost none of whose songs I'd ever played (and still haven't).

Left to myself, I'd have written an ad like yours, but who knows how many or how few People Like Us are out there? The beige version is all things to all people, and frankly it's a tribute to James that somebody so colourful is able to compose something so insipid!

Back