More Creative on a Smaller Kit

DsDrummer

Hey Guys,

So I used to play a six piece drum kit with a lotta cymbals and so on and play pretty well or at least so I thought. But recently, just because I liked the positioning of where the ride lies, I switched my kit to a 4 piece. Anyways, since doing so I feel like my creativity level and groove has greatly improved. I thought this was rather weird. I mean, I'm not complaining cuz my ideas are better, but why is this and have others had similar experiences with shrinking down your kits? It makes me wonder how guys like Peart, Bozio, Mangini, and other big drum-set players would play if they cut down their kits.

Just thought this would be an interesting discussion if it doesn't already exist.

—Dan

Just thought this would be an interesting discussion if it doesn't already exist.

Oh it exists alright. I make it this would be about the 397,385,192nd thread we've had on this debate. Only trad grip versus matched grip and heel up vs heel down have had more air time.

Oh it exists alright. I make it this would be about the 397,385,192nd thread we've had on this debate. Only trad grip versus matched grip and heel up vs heel down have had more air time.

Now wait a minute here. This might be a fresh perspective on the subject. I mean, just because literally everyone knows that small kits are better than big kits doesn't mean other people can't be wrong and voice that wrong opinion.

Now wait a minute here. This might be a fresh perspective on the subject. I mean, just because literally everyone knows that small kits are better than big kits doesn't mean other people can't be wrong and voice that wrong opinion.

Instigator!

It makes me wonder how guys like Peart, Bozio, Mangini, and other big drum-set players would play if they cut down their kits.

They'd play differently.

(FWIW Mangini did do half-ish of his latest DVD on a four-piece. Bozzio's style doesn't exactly translate well to a typical kit.)

But what Zildjian's's should I buy? I only have $3 and some mints PLEASE HELP!!!

For sure. Minimalism = creativity. Everyone knows that. It only took me 397,385,190 of those threads to be convinced of it. But small kits trump big kits. Banging away on a tin can with one stick trumps and snare drummer. And the drummer who plays on nothing is the most creative drummer of all.

But what Zildjian's's should I buy? I only have $3 and some mints PLEASE HELP!!!

That should get you some of Bo's beloved Pitch Blacks.......and change.

I'll save this thread the trouble:

Well, if you're more creative going from 6 drums to 4, imagine how much more creative you be if you went from 4 drums to one.

And then go from one to zero!

Plays grooves and fills with zero drums would of course be the most creative.

(and for the record, there are plenty of recordings of Peart and Mangini with small kits out there).

Well, if you're more creative going from 6 drums to 4, imagine how much more creative you be if you went from 4 drums to one.

That's precisely what snare drummers do, you know. So even with the mocking tone, you're right. It's a big limitation compared to how many different voices even a small kit contains. Ever met a snare drummer who didn't know his rudiments and have amazing discipline that exceeds a typical kit drummers ability? I haven't.

Further proof that small kits rule, and big kits drool.

It's the Drumming Bell curve. Every drummer starts with a smaller kit and few cymbals and then build or buy new larger kits with more cymbals and junk (bigger has got to be better), and then finally you peak (realize bigger isn't better or get tired dragging all that crap around) and move towards the smaller kits. Course I guess some folks Yo-Yo curve so dang there goes my Drumming Bell Curve book-it would have been a best seller. Gosh I could have been famous-and dedicated my book to Gil Gilbert. Almost famous. I have to admit I love the smaller kick drums.

Wailin Smash plays a big kit.

It's like dating a big girl, then dating a small girl. The small girl is a little easier to manipulate.

I like a medium kit. I prefer 3 toms. Anything less and I miss a tom. Anything more and it's too many choices for my simple mind. Kind of like the three little bears.

Wailin Smash plays a big kit.

It's like dating a big girl, then dating a small girl. The small girl is a little easier to manipulate.

And easier to fit into the car at the end of the night.

For sure. Minimalism = creativity. Everyone knows that. It only took me 397,385,190 of those threads to be convinced of it. But small kits trump big kits. Banging away on a tin can with one stick trumps and snare drummer. And the drummer who plays on nothing is the most creative drummer of all.

I currently play a smaller kit than Bo, but his avatar choice is still more creative than mine. Should I customise my bearing edges with an angle grinder? Please help!

I'll save this thread the trouble:

And then go from one to zero!

Plays grooves and fills with zero drums would of course be the most creative.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to have a conversation about something that has been discussed before - no matter how many times. If that were indeed the case, I would have told my wife's family to take a hike 25 years ago!! :)

There are a lot of junior members (as well as old-timers) around here that know the mantra of "Use the SEARCH button!" But, while the found results are valid, sometimes they're old. It's not like this place is a textbook, for God's sake!! it's a living thing that takes on the personality of its users. Give people a break for wanting to have a "real time" discussion about something they want to know about. That's what DISCUSSION forums are about!

If you think it's an old and tired subject, then by all means, move on - there's nothing to see here. don't bust a person in the chops just because they want to talk about something they consider important enough to ask about but you find redundant.

I have a 6 piece kit with 3 crashes, 1 ride, 2 sets of hats, 2 splashes and 1 china, never have I thought... "this stuff is lowering my creativity." If anything it's expanded my creativity with ever more options to blend together and hit differently. I use each cymbal and tom for a certain role and sound that I want to get out of them, and since we play idiophones there's simply no other way of getting the sound I want with out a larger kit.

I'll fully admit that I have a larger kit for playing metal and if I wasn't playing metal I could easily down size the kit to a 4 piece with hats,a ride and a crash, and be just as happy. Would I feel my creativity is limited on a smaller kit? No, it's the same level of creativity just focused on a smaller area. Your brain doesn't change suddenly when you change your kit size it only gives you less colours to paint your picture, no one says it still can't be a master piece.

Back