Becoming a Professional Drummer

tomcorner0

Hi Guys,
I wanted to share my thoughts to see what people thought so before i begin please no nasty comments as i will explain so here i go...
So basically im 16 and my life long dream is to be a professional drummer i started drumming at the age of 9 so ive been playing for 7 years and from the age of 9 until about the of 12 i was taught by a drummer who is now a professional drummer and all i want to do is play drums and make a living from it but heres the big downside i left school with no qualifications and got into college but still had to retake maths and english but my worry is without qualifications i dont think i can become a professional drummer and im in a band and have been for a year the band has come a long way in a year but we only earn £60 a gig which for me isnt enough so to end my long rant ill give you a quick basic overview. Im 16 i want to be a professional drummer i have no qualifications and i dont think i can become a professional drummer but thats all i want to do so there we go hopefully i can get some good helpful advice from people anyway thankyou and please take the time to read this and please give some advice :)

There are a number of facets to professional drumming.

Teaching
Sales / Consultant (professional customer)
Tech
Recording
Composing/Writing
Performing
...and much, much more...

Most professionals cover several of these simultaneously to make ends meet. That one guy who works at GuitarCenter part time also teaches lessons and has working two bands. He's only at GC to network, try new gear, and declare something on his tax return.

So you wanna be in the music business huh.

Do this: Go down to the hardware store and purchase a good solid ball peen hammer and a tarp. Go home and spread it out in the backyard. Call 911 and report a massive head injury. Then go out back and hit yourself in the cranium until you black out.

Maybe you'll wake up in a few hours, maybe at will take weeks or possibly longer. Anyhow, once you get through all the therapy and the pain and headaches go away... possibly your limp will clear up and you figure out how to not drool when you talk...too much anyway...

So you see, in doing this you will have saved your family and loved ones a lifetime of pain and suffering by just condensing the years into a single protracted event. And you can say "I had a musical experience once..."

That all being said, if you're still going to be "that guy" and throw caution to the wind then I would recommend these things-

• Learn to play any style and at any volume level. This is key. Going into a restaurant and lighting up your drumkit full stroke is going to get you fired first off, and it'll break your spirit. It's a pain in the ass to have some guy come up and bitch yet again about playing too loud.

• Learn to read STANDARD NOTATION. Don't even fool with tab. It's a waste of time. It's actually easier to teach yourself to read than it is to decipher all those X's and 0's. And when it comes down to sharing a rhythmic idea you'll see that 99.999999999% of the time someone's going to hand you a chart with quarters, eighths, sixteenths, rests, ties, time signatures, etc.

• Learn to play in any and every style. Figure out what bands are working in your area; if you live in the rural part of town then you'd better get your country chops together and learn a bunch of classic rock songs. If you're in the city then you gotta be able to play dinner jazz at 90db as well as any and every style. Places like Michigan have a lot of Middle Eastern folks so a smart cat would learn who some of the artists are in Arabic music and get that whole "book" together. At any rate, your skill set will develop into what's demanded from it.

• Be a badass- take any and every gig you get called for. Keep your ears open, your mouth closed and observe. Listen, learn and ask questions.

• Always, ALWAYS ask "what's the dress code for the gig?" This sentence alone will make you come across as a pro.

• Use a small kit- 4pc with a ride, crash and hats oughta get you through 99% of the gigs you get called for. Maybe you need a cowbell, just learn to do more with less. Keep them tuned and in cases and keep good heads on them. That's also something that experienced musicians notice, the condition of your gear.

• Take business courses in a community college setting- Run your gig like a business. Keep receipts, log mileage, write off your expenses. Just get into the habit now, because at some point you're gonna have to anyway. The only things more certain than death are taxes.

• Stay in shape- Don't let the fact that you're gigging in a bar mean that you get a mainline alcohol connection from the hottie waitress who thinks you're cute and she wants to cook you breakfast. One of my old students found me on Facebook recently; he thanked me for "the best piece of advice he'd ever gotten" (his words) . "God gave us two heads and only enough blood to run one at a time"... That's Robin Williams but it pertains so much in the context! Actually I said "Don't let your little head do the thinking for your big head". Stay smart and be sharp. Body/Mind/Spirit.

• Stay in an original band at any given time- Keep an original project at all times. It's so easy to fall into the routine of playing OPM (Other People's Music) I did that for two decades and when I was in my mid 30's realized I'd better get something happening for myself.

• Honor your commitments- If you're going to play an original gig with your band then don't let that $250 casual draw your attention away. There'll be other good gigs, and you won't be branded as a flake.

So much more that I could write but others will give you good advice as well.

Last edited:
You might study show business. Read biographies of musicians. Music is old, and other musicians have likely faced similar problems.

Do this: Go down to the hardware store and purchase a good solid ball peen hammer and a tarp. Go home and spread it out in the backyard. Call 911 and report a massive head injury. Then go out back and hit yourself in the cranium until you black out.

Maybe you'll wake up in a few hours, maybe at will take weeks or possibly longer. Anyhow, once you get through all the therapy and the pain and headaches go away... possibly your limp will clear up and you figure out how to not drool when you talk...too much anyway...

So you see, in doing this you will have saved your family and loved ones a lifetime of pain and suffering by just condensing the years into a single protracted event. And you can say "I had a musical experience once..."

That all being said, if you're still going to be "that guy" and throw caution to the wind then I would recommend these things-

• Learn to play any style and at any volume level. This is key. Going into a restaurant and lighting up your drumkit full stroke is going to get you fired first off, and it'll break your spirit. It's a pain in the ass to have some guy come up and bitch yet again about playing too loud.

• Learn to read STANDARD NOTATION. Don't even fool with tab. It's a waste of time. It's actually easier to teach yourself to read than it is to read all those X's and 0's. And when it comes down to sharing a rhythmic idea you'll see that 99.999999999% of the time someone's going to hand you a chart with quarters, eighths, sixteenths, rests, ties, time signatures, etc.

• Learn to play in any and every style. Figure out what bands are working in your area; if you live in the rural part of town then you'd better get your country chops together and learn a bunch of classic rock songs. If you're in the city then you gotta be able to play dinner jazz at 90db as well as any and every style. Places like Michigan have a lot of Middle Eastern folks so a smart cat would learn who some of the artists are in Arabic music and get that whole "book" together. At any rate, your skill set will develop into what's demanded from it.

• Be a badass- take any and every gig you get called for. Keep your ears open, your mouth closed and observe. Listen, learn and ask questions.

• Always, ALWAYS ask "what's the dress code for the gig?" This sentence alone will make you come across as a pro.

• Use a small kit- 4pc with a ride, crash and hats oughta get you through 99% of the gigs you get called for. Maybe you need a cowbell, just learn to do more with less. Keep them tuned and in cases and keep good heads on them. That's also something that experienced musicians notice, the condition of your gear.

• Take business courses in a community college setting- Run your gig like a business. Keep receipts, log mileage, write off your expenses. Just get into the habit now, because at some point you're gonna have to anyway. The only things more certain than death are taxes.

• Stay in shape- Don't let the fact that you're gigging in a bar mean that you get a mainline alcohol connection from the hottie waitress who thinks you're cute and she wants to cook you breakfast. One of my old students found me on Facebook recently; he thanked me for "the best piece of advice he'd ever gotten" (his words) . "God gave us two heads and only enough blood to run one at a time"... That's Robin Williams but it pertains so much in the context! Actually I said "Don't let your little head do the thinking for your big head". Stay smart and be sharp. Body/Mind/Spirit.

• Stay in an original band- Keep an original project at all times. It's so easy to fall into the routine of playing OPM (Other People's Music) I did that for two decades and when I was in my mid 30's realized I'd better get something happening for myself. Honor your commitments. If you're going to play an original gig with your band then don't let that $250 casual draw your attention away. There'll be other good gigs, and you won't be branded as a flake.

I feel like this post ought to be stickied somewhere on the forum. Well said, Bill.

• Learn to read STANDARD NOTATION. Don't even fool with tab. It's a waste of time. It's actually easier to teach yourself to read than it is to decipher all those X's and 0's. And when it comes down to sharing a rhythmic idea you'll see that 99.999999999% of the time someone's going to hand you a chart with quarters, eighths, sixteenths, rests, ties, time signatures, etc.

• Stay in an original band at any given time- Keep an original project at all times. It's so easy to fall into the routine of playing OPM (Other People's Music) I did that for two decades and when I was in my mid 30's realized I'd better get something happening for myself.

• Honor your commitments- If you're going to play an original gig with your band then don't let that $250 casual draw your attention away. There'll be other good gigs, and you won't be branded as a flake.

You just have to stand in awe at the magnitude of Bill Ray's post. Another nomination for post of the year. I feel like I've been in the music business after reading that. Thank you Bill Ray.

I feel like I've been in the music business after reading that. Thank you Bill Ray.

Heh, I feel like I've been out of the business after reading that!

Good stuff Bill! Now if we can only get people to do a search next time this comes up (in about 2 months.)

Bermuda

Professional drummer. HA! That's a good one.

What has already been said, plus, If you go into music to make money, you will be disappointed. If you go into music to make music you will have a great time, and......you might just make some money.

I feel like this post ought to be stickied somewhere on the forum. Well said, Bill.

+1000^ This.That was probably the most straight foward,comprehensive post I've seen on the subject...anywhere.That post Bill,was a bases clearing home run,game 7 of the world series..Nicely put .

Steve B

A few more rules I've picked up over the years:

-Never kiss the bar skanks. You don't know, and don't want to know where that mouth has been all night. I've cringed each time I see someone make that mistake.

-Always setup your kit on small stages taking up a bit more room than you need to, that way, when your band mates or management tell you to squeeze in a bit more, you're really only going to normal.

-The sound guy is your enemy, and if he ever tells you your bass drum needs a port, you should punch him in the mouth and deliver a knee to the crotch.

-You'll need a beer holder that clamps onto your cymbal stand... or at least you will in a few years.

-The more tape and stuff all over your drums, the more professional you look. More than two pillows in your bass drum is also looked upon favorably.

LOL, thanks gang!

And sorry for the obviously male-centric post. In this day and age there's many more female drummers (thank GOD) and when I'm in a creative flow in regards to drumming, sometimes I lean towards the masculine side of things because of the time period from whence I came.

If there was a girl drummer within a fifty mile radius it was a very odd occurrence. That's no excuse, but it was really the last thing I did last night.

Let me amend it to be less gender specific; I gotta run out for a bit. I appreciate your kind words!

You're 16. You're not supposed to have any "qualifications". Study in school. Learn a profession or trade. Continue playing in your band and expand your musical interests and abilities. Study business and continue your musical studies - including piano and percussion reading. And most importantly - you're 16 so have fun growing up and don't rush into anything.

So you see, in doing this you will have saved your family and loved ones a lifetime of pain and suffering by just condensing the years into a single protracted event. And you can say "I had a musical experience once...".

That is great! And that sums it up really well.

To the OP, another piece of advice is when someone offers you great advice, log back in and acknowledge it, and don't run off and be just another "1 post" drummer.

Back