Pop Punk Drum Kit Setup

KingDrums

I play in a pop punk band and am wondering what the best setup for my kit is (how many drums, double pedal or not, cymbals, etc). Any ideas?

Usually it's a 4piece drum kit + hi hats + a Crashable Ride and a extra crash. Double pedal or not it's your choice IMO it's a personal thing.

ditto response. i'd say i play a punk setup;
4 piece with large 12/16 toms, 14x6.5 snare and 22x16 kick
hats, crash, crash/ride, and a single pedal. the fun thing for me
is that i like switching gears and trying to play everything on that
setup. about the only thing i can't really accomplish on this kit
is thrash, but i don't feel i need to :)

When I played on the warped tour with a punk band I used a five piece kit, one ride, one crash and Hi Hats.

My more recent 3 piece punk band and my other band that does Paramore type stuff I alternate between a 4 piece setup with 2x crashes, 1x ride and hi hats or the same setup with just one more tom (either rack or floor tom).

I honestly found that I like my 14" floor tom for most of the punk things I do vs the 16".

Here is a great example of why you don't need much for most punk music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M942m4iyAjY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a56Y2tsYBUE

In the second clip that was Rory Koff when he was still with No Use For A Name. If you listen to their stuff with him he really like to use a lot of crashes and his china. I think it worked great for them.

Lastly here is Yuri from MxPx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcB6j4fhH5k

From when I began to listen to MxPx I was honestly amazed at how fast Yuri could play. Sure not the most complex work but very clean regardless of how fast he plays. I might not be the best example since I started playing in punk bands and touring back in 1998. I had a break when I was in the Army but I recall coming up with other great drummers who play in signed bands these days.

You just have to remember: there are NO rules. The drumset is the coolest instrument on the planet because you can set it up however you want (unlike a piano where you only have the keys, or any brass instrument where that's just what it is). You're only limited by your imagination (if money was no object).

I say in a pop/punk situation, play whatever you want. Just make sure you're filling the requirements for the music you're playing.

You just have to remember: there are NO rules. The drumset is the coolest instrument on the planet because you can set it up however you want (unlike a piano where you only have the keys, or any brass instrument where that's just what it is). You're only limited by your imagination (if money was no object).

I say in a pop/punk situation, play whatever you want. Just make sure you're filling the requirements for the music you're playing.

+1 I think this is what I meant to say

Convention usually dictates a 1 up 1 down or 1 up 2 down setup (most 'pop punk' bands like Blink 182, Rancid, MXPX et al) however a few use 2 up 1 down (green day, NOFX, Ron Welty with the Offspring etc). I know Atom Willard from Angels and Airwaves uses a 1 up 2 down in big sizes with an extra 8" Tom to his left and 2 snares, and used the same setup with the Offspring.

I think the premise seems to roll around using what is neccecary to make the correct sound and no more. I don't think I've ever seen a double kick drum, 9 Tom setup with a punk band, because it's just not needed.

Also remember the smaller your setup, the less gear to build up, pack down and haul about!

Ya, my last band was a pop punk band and I eventually played a 6 piece with hats, ride, 2 crashes and a splash. It worked out for me and the other two members. So go with what you will be comfortable with.

So Clean! Looks like a blast and I'm liking the cymbal stands without felts :)

Thanks! It's a blast to play, for punk/hardcore you don't need anything else IMHO. You could argue I need less, but I like my china for effects and two crashes is what I have always played.

Back