Pondering A New Kit

canading

Hey guys,

Right now, I'm starting to look for a new kit. I've had my Westbury for over a year, and I feel like I need to upgrade. The problem is, I don't really know what set to get. I know names, but not who makes a good, quality kit. Currently, I've been looking at a Pearl VSX(See link below). It's fairly affordable and looks great, but I don't know what I'm going to get out of it. I prefer a brighter sound in the drums, not a deep full sound. Please forgive my lack of terminology. I still have a lot to learn.
http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_32&products_id=7205

If you have any suggestions for a kit, please tell me. It would be very helpful if you could give a brief description of why you like it etc. Also, please try to keep the price range in the 1,000 dollar mark(Canadian). Any input is welcome.

Thanks,

C

I'd go for something (mid-level or pro) second hand. I don't know where you are in the Great White North, but Montreal has a lot of good kits on Kijiji and Craigslist.

Thanks for the help.

I'm in Ottawa, so Montreal is a pretty good option to look. I'll definitely look around.

Brands such as Yamaha and Roland are two of the brands that provide the best drum kits in the industry along with companies Pintech and Hart Dynamics. If you are looking for something to practice with, the lower end models from these companies are priced along the range of $800-$900. The more advanced kits start are priced at $1000, all the way up to $3000 depending on additional accessories and type of module.

Have you been to Dave's Drum shop?

http://www.davesdrumshop.com/

good luck!

Dave's is usually where I get my stuff. There's a used 6 piece Pearl VX there that I looked at briefly, but wasn't sure what to think of it. It was $749 CAD.

"Brands such as Yamaha and Roland are two of the brands that provide the best drum kits in the industry along with companies Pintech and Hart Dynamics. If you are looking for something to practice with, the lower end models from these companies are priced along the range of $800-$900. The more advanced kits start are priced at $1000, all the way up to $3000 depending on additional accessories and type of module."

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look. Do you recommend any particular series, or should I just look for anything in my range?

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look. Do you recommend any particular series, or should I just look for anything in my range?

you have an uphill battle ahead of you - there are a dozen quality kits you can look at for a thousand or less - i play the Yamaha Stage Customs, 100% birch shells (if you like a 'brighter' sound this is your wood), incredible hardware, just quality all the way, hardware included a 1000$

however, this is where it gets fun, Mapex Meridian, Tama Superstar (soon to be Silverstar), Sonor 2007 and Pearl VBX - all great sounding birch kits and all about a 1000 bucks...

good luck!

Back