My brand spanking new Mapex Saturn - Now with 100% more ROCK and 46% more ROLL

I got it for a very good price, among other things because I've helped the guys at the dealer out with some stuff before.

However, the list price on a custom configuration is definitely a fair bit higher than a pre-configured setup. The list price for my toms and kick are about the same as a Saturn Studioease shellpack, which has one more tom and also comes with a snare.

It was definitely worth it for me though. Taking the step up to a pro kit, I didn't want to compromise on what sizes I wanted.

Yeah, list price on pretty much anything is a killer. Now I know I'll have to take my negotiator dad along when I purchase mine... thanks for the reply!

GREAT looking kit, I'm sure you'll have fun with it!
Saturn series are really great sounding drums. I like how smoothly the Mapex floor tom leg brackets work.

Nice sizes too. I really like an 18x24.

Black Nickel hardware is pretty sweet on Mapex lugs.

I have to ask (generally) what the heck people are doing to get rod splay on the Ludwig snares?......

I have 10 Ludwig snares (right now), and NONE of them get the rods going in at an angle.

Imperial lugs, tube lugs, bow ties....
I sold a Blackrolite, a 400 and a 402 which didn't have angled rods either.

I play pretty solidly (heavy bands), and I rim shot 90% of the time. I just put a TightScrew rod on them in that lug and no problem, but, a rod going out of tune playing rim shots all the time would happen on any drum without some sort of "help" anyway so...

BB's get a lot of "hype" these days it seems. I started using them well before that, so I haven't really paid any attention to any hype or whatever. I just use my snares 'ya know?
They've never let me down in any way, so that is all I can go by.
People went crazy last year on what they would pay for a 70's B/O badge, I did notice that!

I can see not caring for the P-85. I changed all mine to P-86's. Even though the 85's lately have worked fine, I had a couple in the past be a little sticky.

Have fun with the BP snare when you pick it up, not disputing the Mapex snare is a cool sounding, quality drum.

Again, the new kit looks awesome!

I have to ask (generally) what the heck people are doing to get rod splay on the Ludwig snares?......

It came that way out of the box.

Even in most promotional pics you can notice some serious lug splay:
lulb417tm-xl-04.jpg
lulb417-xl-07.jpg

My new 402 had splay, straight out of the box. I don't care. It sounds great.

I really like Saturns. I wish they made bigger kicks. :)

Congrats on your new drums.

I recall you said you had ordered a kit with bigger drums. Nice to see it worked out.

It came that way out of the box.

Even in most promotional pics you can notice some serious lug splay:
lulb417tm-xl-04.jpg
lulb417-xl-07.jpg
Funny thing is, I doubt you'd get a Mapex looking like that straight out of the box ;)

I like Ludwig snares, but there's absolutely no excuse for such shoddy quality control. If I paid that money for a snare, & it was like that out of the box, it would be going straight back to the supplier, & that's at almost any price point. Ok, the drum will still work in that condition, but don't let anyone tell you it's ok, it just isn't. Especially on those tube lugs (or any lug without inserts), in cases of serious splay, there's both premature thread wear & uneven shell strain issues.

Sorry Naige, back to your new kit. When are you recording with it?

Congratulations! That kit is so beautiful! I love Mapex- drums, they are all so beautiful and sound very good too! That white color is so nice! Also your setup looks very comfortable to play!
I'd love to hear that kit!

Yeah baby, yeah!

Wait. You're going to have to re-shoot that video.... The badges aren't facing the camera!

Kit looks killer through. :D

What cymbals are you using these days?

-Jonathan

Yeah baby, yeah!

Wait. You're going to have to re-shoot that video.... The badges aren't facing the camera!

Kit looks killer through. :D

What cymbals are you using these days?

-Jonathan

Ah damn. Well, they can do so much with computers these days, I'm sure we can adjust the badges in post-production.

My cymbal setup is pretty fluid, but the ones I used for the shoot were:

14" Meinl Byzance Traditional Heavy Hihats
21" Meinl Byzance Dark Ride
20" Meinl Byzance Traditional Medium Ride
20" Meinl Byzance Traditional Medium Crash
21" Meinl Byzance Traditional Medium Crash
19" Meinl MB20 Heavy Crash

Great photo's there Naige. I'm looking forward very much to hearing & seeing the finished video/album results. If it's half as good as your last album, it'll be worth the wait :)

Be an individual - leave the badges as they are ;) ;) ;) (have you considered a rock riser) :)

Great photo's there Naige. I'm looking forward very much to hearing & seeing the finished video/album results. If it's half as good as your last album, it'll be worth the wait :)

Ahhh, sorry to disappoint you, but this is for my other band. Lucky Lew are working on new material, but we're not ready to record a new album quite yet.

Back