My Home Build: Progress Thread

somedrummer

Gold Member
Snare and Toms Finished! See Post 23 for Pics.

Edit: Snare finished, see post #13 for the pics

Edit #2: Pics of the Completed set up at the following link:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=df3c476a09

This will be the progress thread for what is soon to be my second home built kit. It will be a companion kit to the first set I build which can be seen here:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36544

This set will have more typical bop set dimensions of

18x14 Bass
14x5.5 Snare
12x7 Tom
14x14 Floor

All drums will be virgin (meaning nothing mounted on anything else) which will be in stark contrast to the previous kit, where everything is mounted on the bass drum. The tom and floor tom will be mounted with Gauger systems, a RIMS mount for the tom and a Dynamount system on the floor tom. The Snare will have a Trick GS007 strainer and Puresound wires. All the other hardware comes from various sources around the net.

I have all the information about prices in a spreadsheet which may or may not be legible.

At this point I all I have are the shells and a few lugs. Pics or the shells and spreadsheet are below.

Last edited:
So what's the master plan for these blank shells? Finish, lug type, hardware we want the juicy details. The spreadsheet's not so legible.

Ah yes.. the rest of it.

Finish will be Champagne Sparkle to match the other set, as will the tube lugs. Unfortunately for me the price of the wrap is up $85 a sheet from $150 to $235. Also it's a special order item which means it might be a while before I get it.

It's basically going to be the same parts as the other set, only bigger and virgin.

I can send people the spreadsheet as an attachment in an email if anyone wants it. Just send me a PM with your email if you desire it.

Wow, looks like a great start! Did you go for some maple keller shells again?
I`m really looking forward to see that beauty!

This will be your second custom built kit...really impressive, how about doing this for a living?

I`m really excited!

Karl

Yea I was looking into Champaign Sparkle for an upcoming 70s Ludwig project I have. I found the same thing, what is up with that?

Looks great by the way. It is very rewarding building your own drums. Enjoy!

Excellent man! I can't wait to see what you produce! I'm pricing out a similarly sized kit (or rather, the pieces thereof) to build one myself. I'm thinking wood hoops all around.

Are you doing your own edges? Drilling?

whats are the shells made from? They look like birch...

Shells are maple actually. Toms are 6 ply, Snare and Bass are 10 ply.

Wow, looks like a great start! Did you go for some maple keller shells again?
I`m really looking forward to see that beauty!

This will be your second custom built kit...really impressive, how about doing this for a living?

I`m really excited!

Karl

I would love to do this kind of thing for a living, but the thing about it is that anyone can do what I'm doing on their own, and it would be hard to justify spending the money to have me do it for most people when it can very easily be done by themselves. That said, if anyone wants me to build them a set, I'd be more than willing to do so, with just a slight margin for my time.

Yea I was looking into Champaign Sparkle for an upcoming 70s Ludwig project I have. I found the same thing, what is up with that?

Looks great by the way. It is very rewarding building your own drums. Enjoy!

The answer I got was that the price of the Copper and Silver flakes they use in the wrap have gone up recently... apparently a lot. I just thought it was cool that it actually has real copper and silver in it!

Excellent man! I can't wait to see what you produce! I'm pricing out a similarly sized kit (or rather, the pieces thereof) to build one myself. I'm thinking wood hoops all around.

Are you doing your own edges? Drilling?

I'm doing all the drilling myself, but I had the edges done by Drum Gear Online.

If you'd like, I can get you a copy of the spreadsheet and you can fill in your specs. It's pretty easy to do.

I'm doing all the drilling myself, but I had the edges done by Drum Gear Online.

If you'd like, I can get you a copy of the spreadsheet and you can fill in your specs. It's pretty easy to do.

If ya don't mind, that'd be great! I started a little spreadsheet to estimate costs but haven't put much time into it as I haven't committed to the job yet. I gotta finish my ash stave snare first.

Well, most of the parts have arrived now. Had some good news about the Champagne Sparkle wrap: It's down to $198 a sheet... So that saved me about $80 to do the kit. Still waiting on it to come in though, along with the bass claws and a few of the bags. Can't wait to get started with the wrapping of these babies!

By the way, check out my site for updates as well. The link's in my sig.

Finally had a day off, so I did the whole assembly of the snare today with the wrap left over from the last set. The rest of the wrap hasn't arrived yet and I had a hankerin' to do some building.

Pictures tell the story... Put the wrap on, do the seam, drill some holes, put on the strainer and butt, but on the lugs, put on the heads. Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSC03523.jpg
    DSC03523.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,486
  • DSC03524.jpg
    DSC03524.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,485
  • DSC03526.jpg
    DSC03526.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,489
  • DSC03527.jpg
    DSC03527.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,483
  • DSC03531.jpg
    DSC03531.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,510
  • DSC03533.jpg
    DSC03533.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,482
  • DSC03536.jpg
    DSC03536.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,476
  • DSC03538.jpg
    DSC03538.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,474
Aahh champagne sparkle, a man after my own heart! How much do you reckon it would cost for the wrap for the snare alone?

Good luck with the rest

I would be totally freaked out to drill in such a nice shell...

Great result! I wonder how it sounds?

Fortuantely I got over the freaking out part on the last set. I still measure like crazy, but it has all turned out fine so far. As for the sound, it needs a different bottom head to really get what I'm looking for... For some reason I bought a head that's meant for hard playing rather than something nice and thin and sensitive for jazz, so once I get that changed (or maybe just tuned), it should be really nice.

Aahh champagne sparkle, a man after my own heart! How much do you reckon it would cost for the wrap for the snare alone?

Good luck with the rest

Well, it costs $200 for a sheet, and a snare takes about 1/3-1/4 of a sheet, so somewhere around $60-70 maybe? Fortunately I had this left over from the last set I built. I should have another one left over after this set that will be big enough for a snare that I would probably be willing to let go for cheaper than that... Maybe.

Today I finally got around to wrapping and drilling most of the holes in the toms and bass. Both toms actually are ready to assemble, the bass I'm still waiting on the tension rods and claws from Drum Foundry. I would have had the toms done today if I hadn't somehow lost the lugs screws!!! I've looked all over the place and can't seem to find them. I know I had them for when I did the snare drum, but where they might be now is anyones guess.

So I'll be looking for those and when I find them or break down and order more, I will post pics of the whole process.

Back