Weird finishes...

tbmills

Gold Member
I searched around for a while and couldnt find exactly what Im looking for.

After seeing the giraffe ludwigs in "your gear" I was inspired to see what other crazy finishes yall have seen or done yourselves.

I, personally, have always wanted to refinish my drums with chalkboard paint and have people at each gig doodle on them. one day...

these ludwigs belong to my friend eric.
theyre covered with a copy of douglas adams' novel, life, the universe, and everything.
finished with polyurethane.

enjoy...
ericlud2.jpg

ericlud1.jpg

so... theres mine.
lets see what yall have to show.

and if yall havent seen em...

giraffedrums.jpg

That one isn't a weird one and even it look cool, it's from new member dry_water

img0837rn1.jpg

img0839pr8.jpg

img0844bw9.jpg

And now this one

It's Johnny Johansen vintage Slingerland, originally in chrome, decorated with traditional Norweigan "rosmaling".

Attachments

• IMG_3179[1].jpg
    IMG_3179[1].jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 931
  • IMG_3215[1].jpg
    IMG_3215[1].jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 933
  • IMG_3181[1].jpg
    IMG_3181[1].jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 854
For a while back in the 80s Remo was putting out some cray finishes.

I wonder if anybody here has any of those?

I searched around for a while and couldnt find exactly what Im looking for.

After seeing the giraffe ludwigs in "your gear" I was inspired to see what other crazy finishes yall have seen or done yourselves.

I, personally, have always wanted to refinish my drums with chalkboard paint and have people at each gig doodle on them. one day...

these ludwigs belong to my friend eric.
theyre covered with a copy of douglas adams' novel, life, the universe, and everything.
finished with polyurethane.

enjoy...
ericlud2.jpg

ericlud1.jpg

so... theres mine.
lets see what yall have to show.

and if yall havent seen em...

giraffedrums.jpg

Is that fur? I like those. I thought about covering mine in fur but decided not to. It would be too hard to keep it clean.

Is that fur? I like those. I thought about covering mine in fur but decided not to. It would be too hard to keep it clean.

Well, if anyone should have fur on their drums, I think it would be you.

Could'nt find a decent photo but john dolmayan(s.o.a.d) marvel comic kit

great thread buy the way.

Could'nt find a decent photo but john dolmayan(s.o.a.d) marvel comic kit

great thread buy the way.

thanks for the complements.
just google "john dolmayan srum set" the page has the comic set all over it.

my friend eric redid the finish on his set. he put comic strips under the poly this time.
ill get some pics soon.

i think im gettin a mess-around set soon and i want to do something creative with the finish.
any suggestions?
i can draw pretty well but i wouldnt know what to draw...

has anyone ever covered drums in leather?

Last edited:
Leather would be awesome. Also Velvet or somehting really gross/cool(i dont know what i mean)

You mean like a Buffalo Bill kit from Silence of the Lambs?...creepy.

Attachments

• gumb4.jpg
    gumb4.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 768
My Mom used to do alot of rosmaling when I was younger. We have Norwegian roots in our family tree and she was very into the art style and painted a bucnh of things using this technique. I forwarded those pictures to her so she could see them I am sure she will love them.

old thread ( i know ) but I'm about to get a cheap snare and try out some weird finishes on them, the main one i was thinking was bright blue sprayed shell with bright pink fur strip in the centre

The clown puke wraps are quite crazy...I have one sheet of wrap similar to the dunnett one that I haven't used yet...
61C99743-F327-4CAA-BA8E-06B4153A1B13-9042-00000C2B09957A65.jpg

20-DunnettClown.jpg

Back