Carl Palmer's new signature Ludgwig snare?

KONA

Silver Member
Does anyone here have one of these - and if so - how do you like it?

I bought one today, sight-unseen. Took a chance, seems like a cool drum and the price was right. I like the size 3.7x14..........but I think I bought it because it's green haha.

Looking forward to test driving it.

Attachments

• cpludi.jpg
    cpludi.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,306
The drum arrived on Friday.
I'm impressed! Beautiful Bell Brass, die-cast hoops, and cool green finish....looks nice with the gold. There are locking nuts below the hoops on the t-rods so when you get the correct tension you can lock the t's in place.....sort of fiddley at first but I guess it works.

Mr. Palmer suggests switching out the stock head (with the nice logo) for a Remo Vintage Emperor - if you're a heavy hitter.

It is made in Taiwan.

Nice drum - no complaints so far.

Attachments

• CARL PALMER SIG SN VENUS (Custom).JPG
    CARL PALMER SIG SN VENUS (Custom).JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 864
  • CARL PALMER LUDWIG BADGE (Custom).JPG
    CARL PALMER LUDWIG BADGE (Custom).JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 863
  • CARL PALMER SIGNATURE TAG & SN HEAD (Custom).JPG
    CARL PALMER SIGNATURE TAG & SN HEAD (Custom).JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 838
  • CP SIG SN CLOSE (Custom).JPG
    CP SIG SN CLOSE (Custom).JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 889
I feel I should point out that although the drum has a green lacquered brass shell,it's not bell brass.Bell brass is achieved through a casting process,and sand or ceramic molds.This drum has a welded brass shell,and not spun brass like the Black Beauty.If you bought this drum thinking it was bell brass and were told that by the seller,then you should get your money back,unless you like the drums and it's sound.

Steve B

BELL BRASS (BB)
No I didn't buy this drum because it was "BB" I didn't even know it was BB until after I got it and watched the video again in more depth.
Carl Palmer does refer to this Black Magic Ludwig shell as being 'bell brass' in this video at about 1:42. So I will have to check that out more to see if it is BB. The drum is quite heavy - solid drum. I like it.

Yes - it would be a little more work to clean than most drums but I don't expect to have it get dirty enough that it would bother me - I'm only using it in my drum room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFbgAA4JqFY

Last edited:
BELL BRASS (BB)
No I didn't buy this drum because it was "BB" I didn't even know it was BB until after I got it and watched the video again in more depth.
Carl Palmer does refer to this Black Magic Ludwig shell as being 'bell brass' in this video at about 1:42. So I will have to check that out more to see if it is BB. The drum is quite heavy - solid drum. I like it.

Yes - it would be a little more work to clean than most drums but I don't expect to have it get dirty enough that it would bother me - I'm only using it in my drum room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFbgAA4JqFY

I believe Carl mispoke himself about the shell.Its a Beaded Brass shell,not bell brass.This is typical in metal snare drums and has been used in their construction for 100 years,mostly by Ludwig and Leedy..The beaded shell is used to give the drum strength and to keep it in round.

The model is also Venus,and not black magic.Ludwig does not make cast bell brass shells.All USA made metal snares are spun using a single sheet of metal.The Venus model,and blackmagic,as well as the 300 series of Ludwig drums are welded shells,and imported.

If the drum were cast bell brass,the shell would be much thicker,and not need the center bead.A bell brass snare of that size would weigh up to 20 pounds or more.Still ,they are nice sounding drums.:)

Steve B

Thanks for this info Steve.
I do confess I know little about Ludwig drums - but I'm learning and I have a few.

It does get confussing though. The drum was shipped to me and packed in a Box that was labelled Ludwig Black Magic snare. The drum has a Black Magic batter head as well.
I thought maybe it was a "Black Magic" Series and a Carl Palmer Signature Venus Model. It's almost as confussing as Gretsch drums haha.

Yes - it is a very nice drum which ever way I want to look at.

Appreciate your bringing me up to speed on this - thanks,
Gary

I believe Carl mispoke himself about the shell.Its a Beaded Brass shell,not bell brass.This is typical in metal snare drums and has been used in their construction for 100 years,mostly by Ludwig and Leedy..The beaded shell is used to give the drum strength and to keep it in round.

The model is also Venus,and not black magic.Ludwig does not make cast bell brass shells.All USA made metal snares are spun using a single sheet of metal.The Venus model,and blackmagic,as well as the 300 series of Ludwig drums are welded shells,and imported.

If the drum were cast bell brass,the shell would be much thicker,and not need the center bead.A bell brass snare of that size would weigh up to 20 pounds or more.Still ,they are nice sounding drums.:)

Steve B

Back