Rudimental ritual and GL Stone help please

kitplayer

Just wondering if a seasoned player could please answer me these riddles three
(actually there are just two- and im sure they can be dealt with swiftly :)

'+' = (spoken) 'and'

Rudimental Ritual
1. When performing the ratamacues there are triplets which begin on beat 2 and 4. With the bossa nova feet ostinato beneath I hear straight quavers (8ths) and count 1 2+ 1 2+ (or 1 2+ 3 4+).

My problem and question is- what happens to the bass drum on the up beat (+) of 2 and 4? is it interpreted as swung so bass drum is on the 'let' of 2 and 4, or does it stay straight and fall between the 'trip' and the 'let'?

GL Stone Stick Control
2. When quavers (8ths) and quaver triplets (1 t l 2 t l ..) are notated on pages 8 and 9 are the quavers interpreted as triplets?

For example the first exercise is notated as four straight quavers (R L R L) followed by 6 triplets (RLR LRL).
Would you / do you / are you supposed to swing the four quavers?
i.e 1 - let 2 - let 3 trip let 4 trip let

Ive been playing it both ways ( 1+ 2+ 3 t l 4 t l ) and (1 let 2 let 3 t l 4 t l) but i would like to know the correct way :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rudimental Ritual

My problem and question is- what happens to the bass drum on the up beat (+) of 2 and 4? is it interpreted as swung so bass drum is on the 'let' of 2 and 4, or does it stay straight and fall between the 'trip' and the 'let'?

Thanks in advance for your help!
BD and hihat stay straight all over the 20 pages and the 17 minutes to play the whole daily breakfast warm up....:)
BD does not fall under the triplets, but the triplets fall over the BD......The main notes of the single rattamacue start on beat one and on beat 3, ending on beat 2 and on beat 4. This gives you time to play the &s on the BD.
The skip notes, those litte dots before the mainstrokes are to be played as close to the main strokes as possible, in terms of subdivision they are played e.g. between the 2& and the 3, like doubled up 16th.
If you like the rudimental ritual, I guess you have the book, and if you do, you should also have the included CD, so just listen to the slow version and you will know.
have fun!
Rudimental Ritual rulez!

Sorry about my stupidity but what is this Rudimental Ritual you are speaking of?

The Rudimental Ritual is a warm-up/practice routine utilised and taught by Alan Dawson. Essentially, various stickings are played over a Bossa Nova/Samba foot ostinato. Originally, the Ritual was performed with brushes, but many use sticks as well. From beginning to end, it takes 20 minutes or so, depending on the tempo you play it at and your proficiency with each of the stickings. Dawson recommended it as a daily exercise to keep one's chops in shape.

The Rudimental Ritual is a warm-up/practice routine utilised and taught by Alan Dawson. Essentially, various stickings are played over a Bossa Nova/Samba foot ostinato. Originally, the Ritual was performed with brushes, but many use sticks as well. From beginning to end, it takes 20 minutes or so, depending on the tempo you play it at and your proficiency with each of the stickings. Dawson recommended it as a daily exercise to keep one's chops in shape.

I have to have this! I've been doing rudiments over a Samba pattern for the past few months on my own, just as a coordination exercise. Thanks for the heads-up!

Oh, my, what have I done? This rudimental ritual is so very hard. Started today and spent three hours with a few of the rudiments, just trying to get the the coordination/independence down. Dealing with the samba beat under the rudiments is as tough as anything I have tried since I first started learning. And I had a decent samba in my drawer before I started. This is a monster task, this rudimental ritual.... I thought I was gonna jump.

I mean quarter notes at 50 - 80? I had to try a few at 30 and work up from there. The highest I got to was 95 and that was with the single stroke. And probably spent half the time figuring out where the HH and BD fell. I'm gonna be in this dark and deep hole for a very, very long time. Joey

Back