"Retro Pearl" 3 piece? Worth it?

gusty

Platinum Member
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...5945&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

Funnily enough, this kit came up on ebay for 150 bucks, since i dont need a snare and a 4 piece kit would suit me fine, I'd be happy to buy it...and the best thing...the guy lives practically around the corner from me. The kit didnt sell, but I suppose that he hasnt sold it to anyone else. I'm not sure about the sizes lol, i think he just added half an inch on the toms and an inch on the bass.

Anyone know anything about this kit? Is it any good?

Edit- just realised he's reposting the kit...still might have a chance!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...5945&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

Funnily enough, this kit came up on ebay for 150 bucks, since i dont need a snare and a 4 piece kit would suit me fine, I'd be happy to buy it...and the best thing...the guy lives practically around the corner from me. The kit didnt sell, but I suppose that he hasnt sold it to anyone else. I'm not sure about the sizes lol, i think he just added half an inch on the toms and an inch on the bass.

That's a great player's kit and would make an excellent gig set. I played on one of those old Pearl Birch kits once and it was solid, to say the least. Pity about the missing floor tom lugs, but if you can find two replacements and spend a bit of time cleaning them up and replacing the heads that could be a real steal.

From the pics I'm guessing the correct sizes are 22x16, 16x16 and 12x10. Add your favourite snare and you'd have probably the most versatile 4 piece around. If it stays anywhere near that price I'd take it without blinking.

is "funnily" a word?
irrelevant...

looks like its worth about that. 150. id track him down and offer him 140 for it. and yeah i think its just 10x12, 16x16, 16x22. i really like the blocky lug bar things on em.

unfortunately, i dont know anything specific about this type of drum. sorry.

Looks like an early 90's BLX. Excellent kit. I'd say go for it - the parts shouldn't be TOO hard to track down.

is "funnily" a word?

Funnily enough, it is a perfectly good word. It either describes an unlikely situation - one that would not normally occur (as in this case) - or it is used as an adverb to describe something that was done in an odd or wrong way (he said the word funnily) as opposed to in a humourous way.

the guy put it up to 275 >_<

which sucks. just out of interest, how do you think it would sound tuned up? (up, refering to pitch)

oooooooo, I like the depth on that 12.5 small tom! I'll bet it has that Vinnie Colauita "Tooooooummmmmbhh" if you whack it.

I think this guys dreaming if he wants $275 for it. Since he says "local pick-up only", he's probably just using eBay as a way of advertising. Reaching the most "potential" buyers he can. He's got 0 feedback (not a good sign) and he doesn't know how to measure drums (23, 12.5, 16.5 - maybe not a good sign). The floor needs 2 lugs replaced. If he's that close to you, drive around that corner and check 'em out. To some people, $300 is nothing. A good dinner for two. For others, it's 3 weeks worth of food. So the question "are they worth it" kinda depends on your financial status. I wouldn't cripple the family budget to buy them, but if you have some "spare" capital on hand, offer the cat $175-200. His original post was for $150. Maybe that was a subliminal price he had in his head.

Funnily enough, it is a perfectly good word. It either describes an unlikely situation - one that would not normally occur (as in this case) - or it is used as an adverb to describe something that was done in an odd or wrong way (he said the word funnily) as opposed to in a humourous way.

similar to "oddly"

ex. Oddly enough, the girl hadn't been at her mother's.

Back