awdrums Stave Snare Drums

walkera1962

Hello All,

I am pleased to say I am launching my line of custom awdrums Stave snare drums.
All my drums will feature the following:

Trick 3 position Throw off's & butt plates.
Puresound wires
S-Hoops
Die Cast Vintage style tube lugs
Die Cast screw type air grommet
Remo Heads
Stunning stave shells.

Check more out at www.awdrums.com

Attachments

• DSCF2118.JPG
    DSCF2118.JPG
    544.1 KB · Views: 2,762
  • awdrums Stave 5x14 Bubinga Brazilian Rosewood.jpg
    awdrums Stave 5x14 Bubinga Brazilian Rosewood.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 1,437
  • dddddd.jpg
    dddddd.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 1,546
  • DSCF2117.JPG
    DSCF2117.JPG
    496 KB · Views: 1,707
  • DSCF2120.jpg
    DSCF2120.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 1,563
Congratulations on the launch of your new drums, but I have a major concern;

Brazilian rosewood is a CITES appendix 1 listed species. That's the highest category of restriction applied to endangered species. This means that you cannot travel across international boundaries with it, & without complete CITES permitted documentation, it's almost certainly illegal to own it. Just about the only CITES permitted Brazilian rosewood is reclaimed timber. I trust you have all relevant documentation in place.

Ooo an illegal drum. My kind of drum.

Bit of a buzz kill? wot wot.
Absolutely not my intention, I can assure you. There is no way I would ever say anything to cast doubt as to another builder's credential or product quality, unless there was deception afoot. I have a moral duty to warn those that may not be aware of the very serious consequences associated with transgression of CITES agreements.

The drum shell looks great. Obviously well made. I have no idea why anyone would combine Brazilian rosewood with another species, but that's my personal perspective, & the prerogative of the builder to select according to the desired end result. It's perfectly possible that this drum/these drums have CITES documentation, and are therefore completely fine to sell, own, & transport across jurisdictions. I'm just highlighting the absolute necessity of legal compliance for the benefit of builder/dealer & customer equally.

If these drums do indeed contain 100% legal Brazilian rosewood, I can assure you, there will be no shortage of requests from very keen customers, especially for shells featuring only Brazilian rosewood. Many regard that species as the holy grail of tonewoods, and are prepared to pay the huge price tag associated with the species.

Hey Andy, I did the floor in my house in 1/2" Tiete rosewood. I still have a box left. I have enough wood to build a snare drum from for sure. Maybe 2. Probably segmented would be the way to go, not a big fan of stave construction. Is Tiete Rosewood in the same class as Brazillian rosewood as far as a tonewood?

Hey Andy, I did the floor in my house in 1/2" Tiete rosewood. I still have a box left. I have enough wood to build a snare drum from for sure. Maybe 2. Probably segmented would be the way to go, not a big fan of stave construction. Is Tiete Rosewood in the same class as Brazillian rosewood as far as a tonewood?
Very few species of any wood come close to the tonal beauty of Brazilian rosewood. Of the still reasonably available species out there, East Indian rosewood, & cocobolo come close, & with many similar sonic features, but some special ones of it's own, ovangkol. Tiete rosewood is not a proper rosewood, but it's from the same family as bubinga & (one of my favourites) ovangkol. Tonally, I have no idea what it's like TBH. It's a fairly cheap hardwood, but that shouldn't be taken as a quality indication, more an indication of availability. I don't know of it being used in any acoustic instrument making though, so I'm guessing it doesn't have anything special to offer.

It's over twice as hard as maple, and it yes, it was a reasonable price. Gorgeous figuring on some boards, just gorgeous. I'm sure it wouldn't suck. Wood sounds good. My cheapo Gretsch snare proves that.

It's over twice as hard as maple, and it yes, it was a reasonable price. Gorgeous figuring on some boards, just gorgeous. I'm sure it wouldn't suck. Wood sounds good. My cheapo Gretsch snare proves that.
I'm not saying it would suck Larry, just that it may not have a lot to offer above being hard. TBH, when I'm trying to get the skinny on woods I'm unfamiliar with, I tend to see what the luthiers take on it is. Luthiers, aligned with makers of tuned percussion, are typically far better/more progressive at sniffing out a good tonewood than drum companies.

I don't fully understand all the mechanisms at play TBH. Some harder woods sound great as drums, some suck. Same for the full spectrum of exotics. One thing I can say with some security, if it's hard, it's likely to be bright. Some bright woods produce a lovely array of overtones (e.g. Brazilian rosewood), but some produce horrible overtones.

Interesting. I love your knowledge of the wood, it really is an art unto itself. I guess I'll just have to build it and see.

I guess I'll just have to build it and see.
& why not Larry. Everything to gain from having a go :)

An illegal drum. The whole concept blows my mind.
Yes, a weird concept indeed. I must stress though, there's every possibility that the builder has correct documentation, & I'm sure that's the case. However, it does surprise me that a post would be put up without some sort of declaration of legality being made. The status of Brazilian rosewood is well known in the instrument building community.

Very nice. Might want to not use DW's font though...

Especially with a name so similar to theirs.

Wicked drum, she looks LOUD!! If I had the money, I'd take that one with black chrome hardware. Off to check your site now. :)

-Jonathan

Back