Your book collection

davidr

I have a bit of a thing for drum books even though I still don't have that many. I thought I'd see what other people have. In your list embolden your favourite 2 or 3, and include a couple you don't own but you want, like so...

Henry Adler/Buddy Rich - Buddy Rich's Modern Interpretation of Snare Drum Rudiments
Bill Bachman - Stick Technique
Louis Bellson - Modern Reading in 4/4
Mick Berry - The Drummer's Bible
Jim Chapin - Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer
Gary Chester - The New Breed
Danny Gottlieb - The Evolution of Jazz Drumming
Stanton Moore - Groove Alchemy
Peter Magadini - Musicians Guide to Polyrhythms
Joe Morello - Master Studies
John Riley - The Art of Bop
Matt Savage - Savage Rudimental Workout
Ron Spagnardi - Building Bass Drum Technique
George L. Stone - Stick Control
Billy Ward - Inside Out

Wanted

Joe Morello - Rudimental Jazz
Steve Gadd - Up Close

I still don't have that many...

That's much more than what I got :)

Dante Agostini - Rythmic Solfegio, Book N° 1

Dave Weckl - Contemporay Drummer + One

Simon Phillips - Simon Phillips (Transcriptions and exercises)

Wanted:

Your entire collection :)

I'm more a DVD type of guy :)

I've been starting to catalog my books. I use an online program to categorize and number them. I then use a label maker to so I can find it in my filing cabinets. So far, I have only cataloged about 80 books, with hundreds more in my collection to go. Here is a link to a small percentage of my book collection.

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/jeffwj

Some books that I like (that are not as well known as others) are Advanced Concepts by Kim Plainfield and Rudimental Primer by Mitchell Peters.

Jeff

I've also got way too many too list. Some of the best things that aren't real widely owned include:

Three new Marv Dahlgren reissues: Drum Set Control, Variations on Three Camps, and Complete Text for the Rock and Roll Drummer (...and good lord, I see on the publisher's site there are several new volumes of stuff by Dahlgren available-- volumes of Drum Set Control in 3/4 and in 5/4, Dahlgren's Notebook, Hihat Control, and a bunch of other things.)

The Compleat Jazz Drummer by Joel Rothman

Even in the Odds by Ralph Humphrey

Wrist Twisters by Buster Bailey

Chop Busters by Ron Fink

The Essence of Brazilan Percussion and Drumset by Ed Uribe

The Rhythm Book by Martin Bradfield (Bradfield also has two volumes of interpretive stickings that are excellent, but appear to be out of print)

Oh, and my own book of transcriptions is awesome-- splendiferous even.

Could never list all of them. I have pretty much every book that's ever been recommended on drummerworld.com or houseofdrumming.com

For my own use my favourites are probably New Breed the Chaffee stuff and The Unreel Drum Book.

I also have tons of play-a-longs that I use for both myself and my students.

I rarely follow a specific method in a certain book, I just use them to find inspiration to my already existing routine.

Offcourse, working on snare drum etudes is always great for your general skills.

Added to my wish list. It isn't out in the UK yet, it says pre-order on amazon

Thanks for the interest in The Level System. Yes, it will be on Amazon UK in August, but they are taking pre-orders now. I will try to compile a list of online stores that stock the book, both in US and overseas. You can keep checking here for updates. For those who do not like to order online, it will be available in stock or for order from any Alfred dealer.

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

You might also enjoy my two books "Advanced Funk Studies" and Contemporary Drumset Techniques......Also David, you might like my latest DVD "All about The Groove" it also has PDF eBook and 16 Play-Along tracks........lots of good stuff for all levels. YOu can check this link.
http://www.ricklatham.com/afs.htm
All the best for now and Groove On.
Rick

I prefer simple books that can be used to create your own routines like Syncopation, and Funky Primer, I use them mainly to vary my practice exercises so they don't get stale or easy. It's easy with those kinds of books to just make whole new challenges by adding something in or even taking something out of each idea. If the chosen page is "easy" enough, I'll do stuff like go through it using only my left hand... Etc.

I also have a few what I call "written song" books, like The Igoe "Groove Essentials". I use them to practice my sight-read skills, since I'm poor in that area.

My teacher just showed me the "Language of Drumming" concept by Greb... Has anyone had good success with that? I found it rather odd in my first perusal.

Rick Kvistad - Accent Studies And Etudes
Berklee - Stickings & Orchestrations for Drumset
Berklee Shares - Assorted Drum Instructional Literature
Bobby Rock - The encyclopedia of groove
Dave Weckl - Back to Basics
George Lawrence Stone - Accents and Rebounds for Snare Drummer
George Lawrence Stone - Stick Control for the Snare Drum
Jim Chapin - Advanced Techniques For The Modern Drummer
John Riley - The Art Of Bop Drumming 1&2
Ted Reed - Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer

I noticed that you are a fan of Rothman's books. Here are some of his books that I recommend:

Roll Control

Sticking Patterns

Jazz Bible of Coordination

and of course, Rolls, Rolls, Rolls

Thanks for those-- is there much overlap between those and his other books? Particularly Basic Drumming and Basic Technique? I own enough of his things that I'm starting to notice some, which makes sense when you've written a couple of hundred books.

Ageadm, what are you doing with a Rick Kvistad book in Kosovo? I'd like to get hold of that. The U of O percussion ensemble used to play his piece Rip Off every couple of years.

And nice to see Rick Latham here! That Advanced Funk Studies is a classic.

Let's see, I have:

Stick Control
Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer
The Art of Bop Drumming (Riley)
Learn To Play the Drum Set book II (Magadini)
The New Breed (Chester)
Buddy Rich's Modern Interpretation of Snare Drum Rudiments
Back to Basics (Weckl)
Ultimate Play Along (Weckl)
Afro-Cuban Rhythms For Drumset (Weiner/Malabe)
Brazilian Rhythms For Drumset (Weiner/Da Fonseca)

Progressive Independence Rock (Spagnardi)
Understanding Rhythm (Lauren). Not strictly a drum book but very helpful for learning to read.
Linear Time Playing (Chaffee)

Wanted:

Time Functioning Patterns (Gary Chaffee) (got it since posting)

Last edited:
Rick Kvistad - Accent Studies And Etudes
Berklee - Stickings & Orchestrations for Drumset
Berklee Shares - Assorted Drum Instructional Literature
Bobby Rock - The encyclopedia of groove
Dave Weckl - Back to Basics
George Lawrence Stone - Accents and Rebounds for Snare Drummer
George Lawrence Stone - Stick Control for the Snare Drum
Jim Chapin - Advanced Techniques For The Modern Drummer
John Riley - The Art Of Bop Drumming 1&2
Ted Reed - Progressive Steps to Syncopation for the Modern Drummer

What has been your experience with the Stickings & Orchestrations book? Casey gave me a copy when he was here in the island a month ago. I'm still working on the first chapter with the paradiddles, it's definitely giving my hands a workout.

I also have a thing for books. I have to constantly be working out of one of them

Unfortunately, I pick and choose my way through most books so I can get on to the next.

So many books... So little time...

This picture is from about a year ago... It has grown by maybe 10 or 12 since then.

Attachments

• IMG_6859.JPG
    IMG_6859.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 1,401
Back