Hannah Ford

I wouldn't call her a great drummer.
That fact that she is a hot girl increases people's interest in her by 1,000000%.

Compared to Benny Greb, for example ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFJAdt-GRu4 ) she is, from my point of view, no good at all. I think the fact that she is "hot" is the only thing that makes people interested in her.

What do you guys think?

Why compare her to someone else? What fun is drumming when you will never be good enough as the person you're compared too? No disrepect to your comment, of course.

Whether or not you, or anyone, thinks she's good, she obviously has a love for what she does. And thats all that matters, right?
I don't know of too many female drummers than can pound away at the skins, and she is talented undoubtedly. So I respect that of her

I think it's a bit unfair to say that everybody who isn't as good as Benny Greb is no good at all...that's setting the bar rather high! I agree though, she's not in his league. But a good drummer nevertheless. Perhaps better suited to playing in a band than as a soloist. I can hear the Bonham influence, it's nice to hear that from a female perspective.

I wouldn't call her a great drummer.
That fact that she is a hot girl increases people's interest in her by 1,000000%.

Compared to Benny Greb, for example ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFJAdt-GRu4 ) she is, from my point of view, no good at all. I think the fact that she is "hot" is the only thing that makes people interested in her.

What do you guys think?

YThough, If you cannot compare her to other drummer's, there is really no reason to talk about her at all - it's hard (at least for me...) to have a discussion about a drummer without comparing her/him to someone else! :)

What does Greb have to do with it?

If you only compare drummers to Vinnie, Jojo, and the absolute upper echelon of players, then 99% of the worlds drummers should give up, including most of the worlds highly successful players.

Charlie Watts made more money than most of us will ever see in our lives based on not even trying to be the worlds greatest player.

Can you play like Greb? If not, then why bring it up?

Drumming accepts all kinds, from Papa Jo, to Charlie Watts to George Kollias to everyone in between and out to all extremes, beginners and experts.

There is nothing wrong with appreciating people for what they can do rather than comparing them to extreme situations.

If you only compare drummers to Vinnie, Jojo, and the absolute upper echelon of players, then 99% of the worlds drummers should give up, including most of the worlds highly successful players.

Ooohh man... I feel so insignificant...

Of course she is kind of overrated, but don't underestimate her!

To all the critics above: Please show up at Memphis Drum Shop with your drumset,
get videotaped and do a solo. Then you're probably enough experienced to judge
her playing hard.

She is laying some really nice grooving down, with good timing and solid technique.
Playing neat and clean in front of cameras, knowing that your performance will be
spread over the net with your name on it is hard. Don't you overlook that!

What do you guys think?

I think you should post up a video of your playing so we can compare Hannah to you. We'll wait and we've got plenty of time although I doubt you will. IMO if I ran this forum I would make you post a video of yourself playing so we can judge you since you seem to think you know what "great drumming" is and if you don't I would ban you. Why because that's how ridiculous your posts are toward Hannah. If you don't see some really great creativity on her part, especially in the first video Metal posted then I don't know what to say..... well I do but I like being a member here so.

I didn't insult you and sorry if you think I did but IMO your's was the insulting one. You wanted some "thoughts" on what you said and I gave them Swexx just as you did about Hannah being hot and nothing more. That was a sexist comment dude just like the ones that the Youtube idiots make like "that's not a kitchen". Which I know some are just messing around but a lot of the times it's just rude and makes us guys look like barbaric idiots.

Honestly dude, shes IS a great drummer whether shes on the creative level of Benny or not and her being a good lookin woman is just a plus. I bet Benny wouldn't approve of your opinion and in fact feel the same about your comments as most of us do.

Oh and the comparing drummers arguement is just incredibly dumb and I'm sick of seeing it. If you can make a solid 4/4 rock beat then IMO you have become a drummer, how far advanced you become is up to that person. If all you like to do is play AC/DC or simple rock beats songs then that's great, it doesn't make you any less of a "drummer" than the next guy. If you can keep time and can groove even to the simplist of beats then IMO you have made it.

Looking back at what I've written and listening to Hannah playing I feel like I still owe you and Hannah apologies. I was really harsch in my first couple comments, and Hannah's playing isn't bad at all. Sorry for being kind of a jerk. I guess I was pissed about something when I wrote those comments.... unsure what.

Though, I'm still behind my quote about the internet community focusing too much on female drummer's looks. I hope we'll all get to the point where everybody just cares about the musicality and the playing. Cheers

If you browse through some of the video's posted by drummers you're bound to find a comment made by a girl I'm sure. I've seen it before and they get pretty detailed lol!

Swexx, I didn't mean to come off harsh on you and you know I've backed you in another thread but your post just didn't sit well with me and in all honesty I am tired of the "this drummer is better than that drummer or I'm better than you" crap that you see WAY too much of on Youtube or the internet in general so I vented a bit and appologize. Like you I too am tired of seeing the comparison of drummers and making this hobby out to be a compeition, it's just something nobody masters but enjoy's to what ever degree they choose. Whether that be a Sunday drummer in church or at home or becoming a multi millionare and going platnium with a band. It should be about making music, making people happy and doing it to the best of your ability. I also agree that it can go both ways when talking about someone's looks rather than their drumming like OMGZ SHES SOOO HAWT but has horrible timing and moves like a robot lol! Though Metal said he likes her chops and creativity as well so it wasn't 100% just him posting about her looks. It's just a point of looking past her looks or the fact she's a girl, picture your favorite drummer playing what Hannah does or sitting in place of Hannah in those video's and you'll see she's pretty darn good.

Also don't worry, we've all been there where we get ahead of ourselves and post before we think or post something we regret. Trust me LOL!

Salute!

If you browse through some of the video's posted by drummers you're bound to find a comment made by a girl I'm sure. I've seen it before and they get pretty detailed lol!

Swexx, I didn't mean to come off harsh on you and you know I've backed you in another thread but your post just didn't sit well with me and in all honesty I am tired of the "this drummer is better than that drummer or I'm better than you" crap that you see WAY too much of on Youtube or the internet in general so I vented a bit and appologize. Like you I too am tired of seeing the comparison of drummers and making this hobby out to be a compeition, it's just something nobody masters but enjoy's to what ever degree they choose. Whether that be a Sunday drummer in church or at home or becoming a multi millionare and going platnium with a band. It should be about making music, making people happy and doing it to the best of your ability. I also agree that it can go both ways when talking about someone's looks rather than their drumming like OMGZ SHES SOOO HAWT but has horrible timing and moves like a robot lol! Though Metal said he likes her chops and creativity as well so it wasn't 100% just him posting about her looks. It's just a point of looking past her looks or the fact she's a girl, picture your favorite drummer playing what Hannah does or sitting in place of Hannah in those video's and you'll see she's pretty darn good.

Also don't worry, we've all been there where we get ahead of ourselves and post before we think or post something we regret. Trust me LOL!

Salute!

Probably the wisest post I read in a long time. Thank you and apologies!

She might be "hot" but her playing is so "cold"...She is so cold, so cold! ...Rolling Stones?

she's an excellent drummer....and WAY DAMN good on the eyes too!!!!

I can hear the Bonham influence, it's nice to hear that from a female perspective.

Ben, heaps of women drummers like Bonzo's playing and many cite him as an influence. I guess it's his big tasty grooves, snare and toms - at least that's the appeal for me. He is close to being my biggest influence even now that I'm playing lounge ("close to" because after all these years it's hard to tell). I often try to play lounge the way I think Bonzo would approach it :)

As for Hannah, she has great chops, she's accurate, and she consistently draws good sounds from the kit. I'm not qualified to judge, apart from saying the solo was more of a showcase than a musical statement. She's ambitious and her family is pulling out all stops to get her stuff out there.

Which brings me to Duncan's comment:

BacteriumFendYoke said:
I'm getting really sick of people leering over female drummers. Just judge on ability and musicality rather than how 'hot' they are.

Yes, looks shouldn't come into it, but in a male dominated field the fact is women are a novelty. And that novelty is worth money. I've easily avoided attention by wearing jeans and loose t-shirts and Hannah could do that too, but a skimpy little feminine outfit is worth serious $$ to her. Okay, she's hot little thing and I'm an ageing hippie, but presentation makes a dramatic difference!

PS. It should be said that Benny Greb is a hottie ... who knows how much of the regular salivating over him as a drummer is coloured by little subconscious gay impulses? ;)

Wow, what a warzone this one turned out to be haha.
Either way though, I figured I'd share a good drummer (in my eyes) some attention on here. Somebody likes it lol.

Whether or not I'm judging her skills by her attractiveness, not so much.
She's just very pleasing to watch, especially how much fun she looks like shes having.
It's just a benefit to the video itself, the drummer is not a guy lmao. Adds some... flavor to the table. To some, I guess.

Sex appeal can help, but it can also be a hindrance to being taken seriously. For every person who thinks she's hot, someone else will say it's the only reason she's gotten anywhere.

There was a female member on this forum a few years ago who was really critical of Hannah and it came across as jealousy. The funny part is she was really into a particular male drummer and said one of the reasons she liked him was he was really hot.

I guess the irony was lost on her. :)

Wow, what a warzone this one turned out to be haha

You, my friend, are the Overlord of this war vvvvvv

How you gunna tell me this isnt one of the hottest drummers you've seen, and not only that, some hot ass chops on her too.

The title of a thread and the OP set the agenda. A few casual words can be taken in all sorts of ways in writing when you can't get facial expression and voice tone.

Still, I think you guys would be rolling your eyes if women on this forum talked about how hot Benny Greb was on all of his threads. When I read comments here about a girl drummer's hotness I think, "Oh, so-and-so wants to do some red blooded heterosexual male bonding" ... then I think "Should I leave them to it or give them a bit of crap?" lol

Agree that she's a strong drummer - enjoyed the Bonham bass drum approach at the start of the second vid.

The funny part is she was really into a particular male drummer and said one of the reasons she liked him was he was really hot.

Hey, there could be something to my Benny Greb hypothesis after all :)

You, my friend, are the Overlord of this war vvvvvv

The title of a thread and the OP set the agenda. A few casual words can be taken in all sorts of ways in writing when you can't get facial expression and voice tone.

Still, I think you guys would be rolling your eyes if women on this forum talked about how hot Benny Greb was on all of his threads.

When I read comments here about a girl drummer's hotness I think, "Oh, so-and-so wants to do some red blooded heterosexual male bonding" ... then I think "Should I leave them to it or give them a bit of crap?" lol

Agree that she's a strong drummer - enjoyed the Bonham bass drum approach at the start of the second vid.

Fair enough.
The influence of whatever... substance I partook in probably had the best of me. Oh well, my appologies.

Still not going to deny I like her playing though lol.
Everyone has their own tastes.

Back