Used Renown kit- is this a deal? Think I am going to buy them tomorrow

Toolate

Platinum Member
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/msg/3819458331.html

Talked him down to $1500 which is all I can afford. He says they are in like new condition which is somewhat questionable given the way they look in the pics but there is quite a bit there.

Kit is 10, 12 , 14, 20 and an ugly as hell pork pie snare. Love the Renowns though and a good set of cymbals.

Thoughts?

Used Renowns are pretty cheap on ebay. I call it fair at best. I would wait him out.

No. New a 5-piece is $1550. Those aren't new and likely not in great shape if he can't be bothered to mount them for the picture. The extras don't bring the price back up there in my mind either. He was asking $2500 for the starting price? Wow. Maybe $1200.

Yeah pass that up. That snare too yuck. Guess i'd have to hear how it sounds, once in a while you find a kit that sounds nothing like the rest manufactured but most likley ur getting ripped off a bit. The nice part about Gretsch is they have fantastic sounds and pretty low prices. I prefer the sound to pearl and dw, and its way cheaper. Keep hunting and you'll find something

Did you see the cymbals too? I am not going to pay $2500- that is more like new retail.

We have agreed to $1500 and I am going to see them and will haggle a little if there is any wear. I have seen these kits all over for as much new and much less used but the shipping etc. always makes for more cost and, even worse, potential for damage and then having to try to return a kit to an ebay seller.... no thanks.

Seems to me the kit is probably wortha little more including all the extra stuff so I feel like I might be coming out about even? Anyone agree? I feel like maybe some of you missed the cymbals and $1500 price when writing your responses.(?)......

Even with the cymbals and hardware I think the package is overpriced. A basic 4 piece Renown (which are good drums, don't misread me) can be had for $700 and sometimes less. The snare, cymbals, and what appears to be low end hardware are not worth $800. I'd be patient, that kit isn't going anywhere soon. I'd recommend checking out Guitar Center's used deals, the shops around NY and NJ tend to bring in quite a few items - there are better deals to be had.

I'd pass. You can get a brand new Renown 57 5 piece kit for under $1,000 with nice throne as well. Look around. (I know, some may not like design...)

And that kit I linked to, sold for $771.​

Thanks for talking me down. He initially told me that they were in great shape and when I got there they were all scratched and dented- the lugs were even a little pitted here and there. Plus the hardware is all old SP which isnt worth owning really.

I walked away. Felt bad because he had them out and was ready to sell but the pics he posted and his description didnt match what he had. The comments here were very helpful though. Thanks very much!

I have seen quite a few Renown kits go for around $700 too but lots of them are funny finishes. I am looking for a laquered solid wood color and I think those usually fetch a little more but its worth it. I can also say that I am happy I went to see this kit rather than buying it on eBay and having to send it back- my worst nightmare. There is something about shipping large items that seems like such a pain to me- I have a mental block over it or something.

Why feel bad when he wasn't honest about their condition.He misrepresented his drums faults just to get you there hoping you were and eager buyer.

Plenty of cheaper sets out there.

Steve B

Seemed like a nice kid who needed the money and I felt like a cheap old man but you/we/I was right. I am just too nice I guess and you are exactly right though. He advertised falsly and wasted my time but I could tell it was not on purpose.

Back