Giving up the double pedal...

Liaztraht

Silver Member
At least for a while. I've been focusing too much on using it, and after striping my kit down to a basic rock set up, I realized how much fun it was with only a single kick pedal.

I do the same thing. I have a double pedal that I bust out every year or so just to goof off with it. Actually, there's usually some inspiration behind it, like a cool db idea, but it usually only takes a day or two for the novelty to wear off and I'm back to a single.

They are fun to play, but as a listener, I'm not too into how it sounds, and as a player, it's hard to let go of playing the hi hat. I played two bass drums from ages 16 thru 23 on two different kits, then went to double pedals and have it pretty well tapered down to just a single pedal now. I much prefer it.

Maybe I've just gotten lazy.

Haha long live the single pedal. Over the years I've been tempted to get a double pedal, but I just mess on my friends when I feel the need otherwise I like single. Plus I feel when I'm playing really well my left foot has a mind of its own on my hi hats that is just so tasty.

I usually play a lot of metal, so the change will take getting used to.
Lately I've been listening to some of my favorite rock bands instead of metal, like "Monoral" and "The Pillows" and that got me wanting to play more single.

Makes me wonder why I ever wanted a double pedal.

I have a double pedal but only use it for songs that I am covering that require double bass parts. I also have used it in the past when I had broke my right leg and again several years later when I had my right knee operated on and needed to play the the whole night with my left. plus its piece of mind to know if something happens to the main pedal I can use the slave to finish the night out without it becoming a problem.

I have a double pedal but only use it for songs that I am covering that require double bass parts. I also have used it in the past when I had broke my right leg and again several years later when I had my right knee operated on and needed to play the the whole night with my left. plus its piece of mind to know if something happens to the main pedal I can use the slave to finish the night out without it becoming a problem.

Never broke a leg, but breaking my left hand helped me learn the traditional grip xD
It was the only way I could hold the stick with a brace.

I gave up my double pedal about a year ago and haven't looked back. I just traded it for a nice set of turkish hats, actually. I'd been lugging it around for years without really using it much.

I totally appreciate double bass in metal but I'm probably never going to learn to play like that.

Plus, learning to play a hi-hat with your foot is much more valuable, IMO.

Plus, learning to play a hi-hat with your foot is much more valuable, IMO.

Why does the high hat need to suffer just because you have a double pedal too. I use my high hat pedal then when the song calls for some double bass accents or alternating stick/double bass fills I just add them in then go back to the hats. I do have a drop clutch to allow me to have closed hats while using the double bass pedal but have only used it for fun at home or for practice and have never used the drop clutch during a gig except the few times I had to play the full nights with my left foot instead of the right. Being able to use the double pedal when needed is like having a second snare or extra cymbals, they are not necessary but are just another tool to call upon to add something different to the mix or to make the cover of a particular song more authentic .

They are fun to play, but as a listener, I'm not too into how it sounds, and as a player, it's hard to let go of playing the hi hat..

This says it all, Mike. I don't own a double pedal but I've played with them at open stages and I've borrowed them from time to time. They're fun, but not for full-time use - not for me anyway.

Why does the high hat need to suffer just because you have a double pedal too. I use my high hat pedal then when the song calls for some double bass accents or alternating stick/double bass fills I just add them in then go back to the hats. I do have a drop clutch to allow me to have closed hats while using the double bass pedal but have only used it for fun at home or for practice and have never used the drop clutch during a gig except the few times I had to play the full nights with my left foot instead of the right. Being able to use the double pedal when needed is like having a second snare or extra cymbals, they are not necessary but are just another tool to call upon to add something different to the mix or to make the cover of a particular song more authentic .

You're right, the hi-hat doesn't need to suffer, it just often does for many players. You, most likely, you are someone who knows how to properly incorporate both. As for me, I don't feel the need to use one in my playing.

It's a personal preference really. Again, just my opinion. Unless someone is playing some type of technical prog, metal or fusion, I find it unnecessary. And even in those cases, I find the drummers who do it with just a single pedal more interesting.

I'll leave the double bass to the Gavin Harrisons, Dave Weckls and Gene Hoglans out there. They know to work those things. When I'm at their level, I'll think about picking another one up :)

I do find the highhat very important, and even when playing death or black metal I always make sure to use it the way it should be used. I have just relied to much lately on the auxiliary pedal as a crutch to fill spaces.

Metal in general is starting to wear out in my playing, and I just wanna go back to what I started drumming for in the first place. Some good ole rock and punk.
And as of late some funk too.

How to kick the double kick habit??

I used patches ... boom tish

Sorry, it was there. Don't worry about me. Please resume.

I'm sure I will kick the habit... As long as I stick to it... Budump Tsss

I've had a double-kick a couple times. I think I still have one in storage. My first was an Axis, but I broke the right kick pedal and had to use parts from the left pedal. I just said the heck with it because I never really had to have it. I don't play much metal at all, but the double-kick would be nice for certain song endings or fills here and there.

I can't (under)stand all that "giving up the double pedal" talk...

It merely takes you to lift your left foot from the slave pedal and put it on your hihat - that's all. (PS: This can even be done within a song.) Wanna come back? Put your left foot on the slave pedal again - done!! Some make it a philosophy bashing the double pedal it seems... Go on, time wasted.

I can't (under)stand all that "giving up the double pedal" talk...

It merely takes you to lift your left foot from the slave pedal and put it on your hihat - that's all. (PS: This can even be done within a song.) Wanna come back? Put your left foot on the slave pedal again - done!! Some make it a philosophy bashing the double pedal it seems... Go on, time wasted.

I'm not bashing, I just use it too much out of convenience. Kind of like a bad habit.
When I stop over playing the double kick in music that doesn't need it, then I will add it back on :p

I'm not bashing, I just use it too much out of convenience. Kind of like a bad habit.
When I stop over playing the double kick in music that doesn't need it, then I will add it back on :p
Ok, I don't want to "infiltrate" this thread more than absolutely necessary IMO... But you're mentioning another thing I'm reading a lot on this forum. Now WHY does a double pedal make someone going the easier route per se? It doesn't, it depends on the player. What I'm trying to say is that it's 100% up to you whether you're (ab)using a double pedal to play as easily as possible or (at least when practicing) working out your feet (both, vs. one foot at a time - same as hands) or using the slave pedal just if you can't really handle a given playing situation in single foot mode. That's what I'll never grasp... Having a double pedal doesn't prevent anybody from working out _per foot_. (Best of all - working out each foot, and then combine both = awesome double pedal stuff.) Ok, enough said.

Back