HELP I've got a few questions about DW and Sonor Drums!

Muse FTW

First, are all DW kits customs? I looked in their site and there were only 3 shell types (Classic, Jazz, Collectors) and I'm assuming that it means that each kit must be special ordered and all of that jazz (with the specs and whatnot)

Second, roughly speaking, how much would a 6-7 shell kit cost? I have heard from many sources that DW are REALLY expensive and can even run over $10,000? Is this true?

Third, I've been a big fan of DW's (although I have yet to own one) but are they seriously worth all of the coin that people drop on these things?

Lastly, if DWs are too expensive, (depending on your replies) I may or may not go for a Sonor (because of the glaring praise I've been hearing about them) although I have yet to try one out (yeah I know but the store I buy from doesn't have one yet).

Of course I will try it out before I buy it, but how do you Sonor drummers like it? Are they as good as everyone claims they are? How much will a Force 3007 or Delite kit run me?

Thanks in advance for the info! It's much appreciated!

I believe the DW site has a kitbuilder where you can get a quote.

Also: a drumset from any maker can run over 10 thousand. It depends on what you want

I've played both and my Sonor S-Class drums are the bomb!!! I wouldn't trade them for anything at this point. Now, having said that, make sure the Sonor drums you try out are ones made in Germany. They are mutch better drums and have a much better sound IMO. I love both DW and Sonor but I'm biased towards Sonor obviously. I don't think you can go wrong on either BUT shop around. You can get good/better pricing if you're patient.

First: you are thinking about this issue all wrong. You have to think budget, not what a kit *could* cost.

Second: what are your needs? Do you really need an 11-pc kit with gold plated hardware?

Third: are you willing to wait up to a year for a custom DW or Sonor?

Fourth: Ebay is full of used DW and Sonor that are affordable. The great thing is that both companies have made great drums for decades and I'd be just as happy with an older sonor as a new one. Maybe a delite kit that's a year or two old.

People that buy these kits usually hear them first, and get a good idea of what they want. They also tend to agree that the kits are worth what they paid for them.

I most certainly do not need an 11 piece kit, however, I would like it to be a significant upgrade from the Tama that I am currently using. All I'm saying is that I'd like to get a kit with more than 4-5 pieces. Also, I figure that if I'm going to shell out that amount of cash that I might as well make it look aesthetically pleasing (at least to myself)

Now, while there is a certain amount of money I refuse to pay for a drum set *GASP*, I would gladly save up for a year (while waiting for the order to be complete).

I would use Ebay but I haven't had the best luck with them in the past.

Thanks again.

First, are all DW kits customs? I looked in their site and there were only 3 shell types (Classic, Jazz, Collectors) and I'm assuming that it means that each kit must be special ordered and all of that jazz (with the specs and whatnot)

Yes, all are custom made. The PDP kits are their non custom line.

Second, roughly speaking, how much would a 6-7 shell kit cost? I have heard from many sources that DW are REALLY expensive and can even run over $10,000? Is this true?

Depends on your options, sizes, finishes, etc. As mentioned, any brand can find an excuse to cost over 10,000 depending on what options you choose. DW has many different price points depending on a variety of choices.

Third, I've been a big fan of DW's (although I have yet to own one) but are they seriously worth all of the coin that people drop on these things?

That depends on your point of view, what you're trying to do, and if it's worth it to you.
Every person is going to have a different perspective on this, and it's a personal choice.

Lastly, if DWs are too expensive, (depending on your replies) I may or may not go for a Sonor (because of the glaring praise I've been hearing about them) although I have yet to try one out (yeah I know but the store I buy from doesn't have one yet).

Sonor kits are not necessarily any cheaper, depending on which models and options you go with.

I agree with trkdrmr, you seem to be going about this all wrong.
You need to figure out what you want from a drum kit and what your budget is.

From my experience regardless of what you are buying, first is budget, then features, then looks. Furniture, appliances, cars, whatever. Drums...same thing, budget, then number of pieces and wood type, then color or finish. It is possible to find what you want USED if you have the patience to look and wait. Trust me I know. 1500.00 drum set for 650.00.
I'm not sure what drum set from Tama you have now, but there is a big difference between DW and Sonor 3007.

I'm sorry I'm quite the dunce when it comes to this level of drumming.

My current set is a Tama Starclassic Maple and it is great but I would like to upgrade it (so it could hopefully last for a decent amount of time)

Therefore, I am willing to invest in this kit: 8k-12k

I would like either an all Birch or all Maple (preferably Birch)

I understand that these custom orders take very long considering that they are made with my specs and are hand crafted to the smallest detail.

I have loved DWs for a while now (ever since I discovered Neil Peart's greatness) and love how they sound and feel. I don't know, maybe it's me, but they have always seemed like another level of drums to me.

I have only recently discovered Sonors but have yet to try them out (my local stores don't even have them in stock let alone on display) but I figure that if I'm making an investment I cover all of my bases!

I'm sorry for the inexperience but thanks

People that buy these kits usually hear them first, and get a good idea of what they want. They also tend to agree that the kits are worth what they paid for them.

Key point. I went shopping with DW in mind & came back come with a Yamaha.

P.S- never, never, never go by what you hear on a recording. Ever.

Key point. I went shopping with DW in mind & came back come with a Yamaha.

P.S- never, never, never go by what you hear on a recording. Ever.

Last weekend, kits like the oak customs and the Gretsch renown maple that stood out from the pack, and they weren't nearly the most expensive kits.

My current set is a Tama Starclassic Maple and it is great but I would like to upgrade it

What do you mean? Going to a DW is'nt an upgrade from a Starclassic Maple. It's a different premium maple kit, but not an upgrade. There are just as many people or more who go from a DW to a Starclassic Maple.

Muse, I think you are judging things from seeing a brand name here and there. Maybe.

Best sounding stuff on the market for the money, IMO, 1. Yamaha Oak. 2. Gretsch New Classic. 3. Gretsch Renown.

When people refer to "Custom", for extra finishes, hardware color, etc..., for the money, I would go Pearl Masters Premium. Better than DW for much less. That's just my take.

Last weekend, kits like the oak customs and the Gretsch renown maple that stood out from the pack, and they weren't nearly the most expensive kits.

I think the Oakies are great, and I play a Yamaha MCAN myself, but I have to say that the powers that be at GRETSCH had got to be smoking some funny stuff when they decided to market the RENOWNS an intermediate kit.

I've gigged on 3 different ones over many years, they've blown me away each time, even with different heads, different tunings, different music...

RENOWNS are a steal, IMO. There, you heard it here, from a loyal Yammieman ( ..er, who gigs on a Tama )

Last edited:
Production time on DWs really comes down to how much customisation you want.

Back in August I placed an order for a set, 10x9, 12x12, 14x12 and 16x14 toms, 22x 18 kick in ebony satin oil with gold hardware. NO VLT/X Shells etc... I got a phone call on new years eve telling me the kit had arrived.

I think it comes down to what you personally want. It's no good a bunch of people on a forum telling you their opinion. These drum are highly personal, and whether you go with Sonor or DW the important thing is that you eventually wind up with what you want and what you need.

My advice is do as much research into each brand as you can, play both kits, take your time and go with where you heart is. You don't want to be unpacking and setting up your DWs and think "I wish I went with the sonors", or vice versa.

Muse if you actually have $8-12k to drop on a kit then I would suggest a Sonor SQ2. A 4 grand difference in your budget is a pretty big gap. Like mentioned earlier your Tama is a great kit...you want be upgrading quality wise by going with a DW.

I own a DW but have also owned sonor, and would play either one and be happy. Keep in mind that DW's aren't as expensive as everyone makes them out to be. I bought my 4pc black oyster glass for $2100 new, granted it's a finishply and the store had the kit in the sizes I wanted so that accounts for some of the price being low. A sonor delite will run you under $4k.

My question is are you really serious about drumming enough to drop that much cash? I would suggest educating yourself a little more so you know what your buying.

DW's are the Harley Davidson's of drums for a reason......make sense?

Especially since Neil endorsed Tama publicly but used Gretsch in the studio in the early eighties.
]

Maybe for like 5 minutes, then he switched back. :) Also, just for an example, I would much rather have the drumsound Lars got on the very early Metallica albums through Justice, to the sound he got afterward. You know which was which, right?

Maybe for like 5 minutes, then he switched back. :) Also, just for an example, I would much rather have the drumsound Lars got on the very early Metallica albums through Justice, to the sound he got afterward. You know which was which, right?

I read an interview with Lars where he said that he used a Gretsch drums on and off in the studio. Ok I just found it Lars From Dec 08 Modern Drummer:

"There's a particular Gretsch bass drum I've used for literally the last ten or fifteen years. It's one of those magic drums".

Back