Yamaha Drums

Something seems a little odd about that listing.
In the heading, it says it comes with Zildjian cymbals, but there's no mention of them in the item description.

"... 7x10 tom
8x12 tom
15x16 floor tom
18x22 bass drum
5.5x14 Mapex Armory Tomahawk Snare Drum
Hardware- Yamaha single bass drum pedal, Pearl hi hat stand, Pearl straight stand, Yamaha boom cymbal arm mounted in double tom holder and Yamaha snare stand. Seat is not included..."

Yeah, you're right. I didn't even notice the title stated cymbals included. Even better. Someone who's interested could get it clarified, since they aren't mentioned in the listing.

This one doesn't seem like too bad of a deal either: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Abso.../351138905071?pt=US_Drums&hash=item51c1827bef

EDIT: either the price, or the set itself has changed since I posted the link above ^^^^.

For me though - if I see one of these with a double tom holder and 10" tom added, for that 2,199.95 price, I'm gonna' have to post here to have you guys talk me down - LOL.
I like the vintage natural finish better though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Abso.../161363619655?pt=US_Drums&hash=item2592056f47

I saw one of these Absolute Hybrid kits last week stacked up at a music store. Took a peek inside the 12" tom which was on top and was a little dismayed at what I saw.
It looked like stain had leaked through the inside seem a little somehow. Not a lot, but I wasn't expecting to see anything like that at all. The rest of what I saw looked top notch though.

Last edited:
This one doesn't seem like too bad of a deal either: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Abso.../351138905071?pt=US_Drums&hash=item51c1827bef

I saw one of these Absolute Hybrid kits last week stacked up at a music store. Took a peek inside the 12" tom which was on top and was a little dismayed at what I saw.
It looked like stain had leaked through the inside seem a little somehow. Not a lot, but I wasn't expecting to see anything like that at all. The rest of what I saw looked top notch though.

That one's not bad price either. I wonder how these are selling overall. I just don't see much excitement over these, here or elsewhere.

I don't know how in the world stain could leak through a seam. The plies have staggered seams, so that should not allow anything like that. Plus, once the shell is completed, stain should not be able to penetrate that far anyway. That is strange.

It's possible it was something else.
And leak is too strong of a term. It looked more like seeped, or weeped. Minor enough that most people probably wouldn't even notice it.

Seems impossible to me, from the way the plies are sealed under pressure.

I think the pricing announcement earlier this year might have drained some enthusiasm for this line. Gotta' be a diehard Yamaha fan to get excited, I guess.

Everyone knows MSRP is misleading, but have you seen the site?
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/ac-drumsets/absolute_hm/?mode=model

"...Absolute Hybrid Maple
NEW
MSRP: $5,400.00 - $7,690.00..."

I love Yamaha instruments and own quite a few (from a U3 to a set of RC's) But the new kits don't do it for me. Too expensive too. I played an Oak Custom and a Maple Hybrid and although they sound ok, I thought the build quality was nothing special. Mass production = greater profits and that's great for the brand but where is the craft in this plan?

....I wonder how these are selling overall. I just don't see much excitement over these, here or elsewhere.

To be fair, the line has only been readily available for only about 4-5 months...I did just read a very good review of them in the latest "modern drummer" issue...it was a very favorable review of the kit..as a matter of fact I believe the reviewer stated that it was the best maple kit he'd ever played...

Last edited:
I love Yamaha instruments and own quite a few (from a U3 to a set of RC's) But the new kits don't do it for me. Too expensive too. I played an Oak Custom and a Maple Hybrid and although they sound ok, I thought the build quality was nothing special. Mass production = greater profits and that's great for the brand but where is the craft in this plan?

Just to add, The Oak Custom is a whole other thing then the Hybrid or even a Live Custom.

Doesn't seem like there's alot of excitement about the Live Customs either and those have been out for a year or more.

I have a Live Custom kit and I dig it.

If anybody knows of a Yamaha Absolute Maple or Birch in Embossed Silver or Embossed Green - any sizes - that would be up for sale, please let me know...only interested in those two colours.

Thanks!!

Neal

Edit: Meant to say; looking for a kit, not orphans.

Last edited:
To be fair, the line has only been readily available for only about 4-5 months...I did just read a very good review of them in the latest "modern drummer" issue...it was a very favorable review of the kit..as a matter of fact I believe the reviewer stated that it was the best maple kit he'd ever played...

Sure, but there was a lot of anticipation. Then they came out and not much since. I think Yamaha spoiled us with all of the finishes and options for the MCA's and BCA's. What can you say about the Hybrid that sets it apart from others? Its got a ply of Wenge...hmm...
Plus, pretty much every in stock Hybrid kit I've seen for sale has the same configuration and sizes. The finishes are limited and the prices don't seem lower despite being made in China. I think guys still want the Sakae built stuff.

Sure, but there was a lot of anticipation. Then they came out and not much since. I think Yamaha spoiled us with all of the finishes and options for the MCA's and BCA's. What can you say about the Hybrid that sets it apart from others? Its got a ply of Wenge...hmm...
Plus, pretty much every in stock Hybrid kit I've seen for sale has the same configuration and sizes. The finishes are limited and the prices don't seem lower despite being made in China. I think guys still want the Sakae built stuff.

Generally, I agree. I think it will come around eventually though - might take a year or so.

Neal

I just found this lengthy video which nicely demonstrates the Hybrids and gives you a good look at the Orange Sparkle finish. Too bad its in Japanese, as the guy spends a lot of time with these. He demos the kit in several tunings and provides lots of up close views. I think I like the sound of the kit on this better than other videos I've seen. He spends a lot of time demo-ing the toms, which is helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8jPbrGx_fQ

Hey guys. Here's my Carter Beauford kit. May end up as kit of the month in an upcoming modern drummer magazine!

Attachments

• IMG_642485707478050.jpeg
    IMG_642485707478050.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 940
  • IMG_642497198015098.jpeg
    IMG_642497198015098.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 956
  • IMG_642560987138253.jpeg
    IMG_642560987138253.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 937
  • IMG_642515732038523.jpeg
    IMG_642515732038523.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 938
  • IMG_642563865232504.jpeg
    IMG_642563865232504.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 931
  • IMG_642569512510299.jpeg
    IMG_642569512510299.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 950
  • IMG_642566670114756.jpeg
    IMG_642566670114756.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 930
  • IMG_642580168950970.jpeg
    IMG_642580168950970.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 937
  • received_m_mid_1407724736814_cb2114b77c20c24e10_0.jpeg
    received_m_mid_1407724736814_cb2114b77c20c24e10_0.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 931
  • IMG_642551439366164.jpeg
    IMG_642551439366164.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 932
Hey guys. Here's my Carter Beauford kit. May end up as kit of the month in an upcoming modern drummer magazine!

Nice.

Sonor bass drum?

Yeah I wanted a Yamaha tour custom in the same finish but they all come with kits whenever you can find them so I had to mismatch. I love maple for kicks and birch for toms

Hi folks,

I've done a quick search on the net but can't find any info on this snare:

https://www.zikinf.com/annonces/dispannonce.php?annonce=1065388

Can anyone tell me the model, year/period, and value/price?

Yea..that's the last seamless brass snare line that yamaha produced ... I've got one in 6.5X14...great snare...I believe they were produced from mid 90's until 2003...based on the strainer design (i.e., large tuning fork insignia) that would indicate that this snare is a later model (2002-2003 - as long as the strainer is original)...as far as price, that will depend on condition, I've seen them sell for anywhere between mid $200's to over $400...

Yea..that's the last seamless brass snare line that yamaha produced ... I've got one in 6.5X14...great snare...I believe they were produced from mid 90's until 2003...based on the strainer design (i.e., large tuning fork insignia) that would indicate that this snare is a later model (2002-2003 - as long as the strainer is original)...as far as price, that will depend on condition, I've seen them sell for anywhere between mid $200's to over $400...

Thanks for the info Scorch. I'm really tempted but I'd have to sell or trade another Yamaha snare to get the brass one which is risky because I've never heard it "live". There are some mycymbal videos in which they use a Yamaha brass snare which really caught my ear.

Back