Yamaha Drums

Hi guys,

Does someone know how to interpret Yamaha serial numbers (post-2000)?

KP-0469

Via google, I found and old DW thread on this and a link to the Yamaha vault...
But the vault could not identify this serial number (got an error message)

Thanks!

Ahhhhh! Forgot all about this. Beautiful, Jason!! Nice touch with the SoCalMike-supplied (no doubt) cover plate as well. It looks fantastic - you're pleased with the results?

I love my cut-down 14x22 MCA. It took a huge leap of faith but well worth it.

Neal

That drum looks great! Nice job.
I have one of SoCalMike's plates on my Club Customs and love it.

That drum looks great! Nice job.
I have one of SoCalMike's plates on my Club Customs and love it.

Thanks Neal and jbonzo. I'm completely satisfied with both the aesthetic and sonic results. The fundamental tone of the shell is much more pronounced and occupies a much more specific space in the mix. And the sound is everything you'd expect from a Yamaha birch bass drum. Exactly what I was wanting!

And yes, I was fortunate to get one of SoCalMike's plates from a person on here who was selling his kit. Next, I need to check with SoCal to see if he can do a plate for my Live Customs which has Yamaha's newer, smaller footprint tom holder.

First post in the Yamaha thread. I was fortunate to get an endorsement deal with Yamaha Scandinavia, and have just ordered my kit.
I have played DW for 19 years, but thought it was time for a change.

I have ordered a Polar White Absolute Maple Hybrid kit, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22, matching snare and all the hardware.
Will post pics when they arrive! Very happy about this switch! I do need another kit, and is currently looking for a Recording Custom, preferably Piano Black,

The prices I see on eBay for used Stage Customs makes them look like a great value. If anybody knows about an 18" tom or kick in the older style (full length lugs) in the dark red (not cranberry red), please let me know. Thanks!

First post in the Yamaha thread. I was fortunate to get an endorsement deal with Yamaha Scandinavia, and have just ordered my kit.
I have played DW for 19 years, but thought it was time for a change.

I have ordered a Polar White Absolute Maple Hybrid kit, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22, matching snare and all the hardware.
Will post pics when they arrive! Very happy about this switch! I do need another kit, and is currently looking for a Recording Custom, preferably Piano Black,

Welcome to the thread and congratulations on your endorsement! Yes, please do post pictures of your kit when you get it and if you don't mind, tell us some about the music you play.

And for the record, let me say that I'm already jealous. ;-)

Jason

I play in the band Work of Art, we are playing melodic rock, or perhaps AOR. A bit Toto or Journey-ish.
Here a trailer for our upcoming third album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN0z6XuLGNA

Btw, I bought a new kit yesterday, a 9000GA, 10, 12, 13, 14, 20. I think that will prove to be an excellent small gigging kit!

ABSOLUTE STYLE lugs that's the key I don't think there made of the same stuff just a look alike I may be wrong though I would need a compare them side to side.

For the record, 'all' YAMAHA lugs are made of pot metal, even the the gold plated (discontinued) MAPLE CUSTOM lugs.

STAGE CUSTOM (2014) uses the same lug size on BD's and toms. Below are pics of tom lugs from ABSOLUTE and STAGE CUSTOM, you can see on the inside there's more pot metal in the ABSOLUTE application, although... who's to say YAMAHA hasn't gone the other way and that the lesser filled SC lug is now the same lug they use across the board? Probably not tho.

Attachments

• Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Picture 12.png
    Picture 12.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 1,128
Last edited:
For the record, 'all' YAMAHA lugs are made of pot metal, even the the gold plated (discontinued) MAPLE CUSTOM lugs.

STAGE CUSTOM (2014) uses the same lug size on BD's and toms. Below are pics of tom lugs from ABSOLUTE and STAGE CUSTOM, you can see on the inside there's more pot metal in the ABSOLUTE application, although... who's to say YAMAHA hasn't gone the other way and that the lesser filled SC lug is now the same lug they use across the board? Probably not tho.

It's was the weight of the drum overall that made me think the might me made different just felt to light to be the same good to know there all made of the same thing just how much of a mix might determine the weight. being there made in a different location might have something to do with it. Also is the badge plastic?

It's was the weight of the drum overall that made me think.............being there made in a different location might have something to do with it.

This here.. if you were to hold both ......... you would most likely feel the weight difference with regard to the build. Not that it's any gigantic ordeal......... but go to the dude who is in charge of Yamaha design for this stuff....... and ask him...... " Hi Mr.. why did you build those less stout ?? " .......... and he will answer with some reason.

I play in the band Work of Art, we are playing melodic rock, or perhaps AOR. A bit Toto or Journey-ish.

Btw, I bought a new kit yesterday, a 9000GA, 10, 12, 13, 14, 20. I think that will prove to be an excellent small gigging kit!

I don't know much about Yamaha drums but I know good music when I hear it. I'm hearing a little Chicago and some Mister Mister and Mike and the Mechanics Great stuff.
I would really suggest everyone give this bad a look see on Youtube.. I just listened to 5 songs and wow .

Last edited:
This here.. if you were to hold both ......... you would most likely feel the weight difference with regard to the build. Not that it's any gigantic ordeal......... but go to the dude who is in charge of Yamaha design for this stuff....... and ask him...... " Hi Mr.. why did you build those less stout ?? " .......... and he will answer with some reason.

Not that worried just not buying them

Wow, that's a nice kit. I'm jealous. I've heard of quite a few people having 9000's and will not turn loose of them. Congratulations.

It's was the weight of the drum overall that made me think the might me made different just felt to light to be the same good to know there all made of the same thing just how much of a mix might determine the weight. being there made in a different location might have something to do with it. Also is the badge plastic?

Depends on your thinking, lighter is better, or heavier hardware is better?
Heavy weight drums don't specifically equate to quality... ask GURU.

The reason there's less material in the SC lug is simply to save on costs.

For me the overall weight of the SC kit is a plus (84lbs-5 shells, tom holders and FT legs). My MAPLE CUSTOM 5 piece is 'heavy' compared too and IMO the quality of sound from STAGE CUSTOM is just as usable, and maybe even more so, the thick MAPLE CUSTOM BD doesn't sound as good as the lighter SC IMO, and thicker/heavier toms are too loud for some applications, they require restraint and that's an aspect of drumming you don't want to be a slave to the whole night at a gig.

The SC BD spurs are a much better design than what's on YAMAHA'S higher line kits too, they're easier to open/close and very doubtful I'd ever break one. I've broken a MAPLE CUSTOM BD spur, that design is the 'only' YAMAHA hardware piece I don't care for. I've complained to YAMAHA in the past about it.

IMO the STAGE CUSTOM design spur is superior in every way, the only improvement I'd like to see on it is like what GRETSCH has on their BD spurs, finger operated screws for the height adjustment, so nice being able to adjust the height of your BD spurs w/o a drum key.

Band sounds good and those RCs are timeless drums that microphones love. Enjoy...and don't forget to post pics of the Hybrids when you get them. ;-)

Depends on your thinking, lighter is better, or heavier hardware is better?
Heavy weight drums don't specifically equate to quality... ask GURU.

The reason there's less material in the SC lug is simply to save on costs.

For me the overall weight of the SC kit is a plus (84lbs-5 shells, tom holders and FT legs). My MAPLE CUSTOM 5 piece is 'heavy' compared too and IMO the quality of sound from STAGE CUSTOM is just as usable, and maybe even more so, the thick MAPLE CUSTOM BD doesn't sound as good as the lighter SC IMO, and thicker/heavier toms are too loud for some applications, they require restraint and that's an aspect of drumming you don't want to be a slave to the whole night at a gig.

The SC BD spurs are a much better design than what's on YAMAHA'S higher line kits too, they're easier to open/close and very doubtful I'd ever break one. I've broken a MAPLE CUSTOM BD spur, that design is the 'only' YAMAHA hardware piece I don't care for. I've complained to YAMAHA in the past about it.

IMO the STAGE CUSTOM design spur is superior in every way, the only improvement I'd like to see on it is like what GRETSCH has on their BD spurs, finger operated screws for the height adjustment, so nice being able to adjust the height of your BD spurs w/o a drum key.

Lol I would put yamaha old school BD spurs on anything I love them just so well made. My rock tours have a different one not sure if it's the same as the stage customs or not but if it is I do like the older ones more. The weight I can see how anyone would want lighter drums if there gigging I am not just a basement drummer here. Waiting to see the new absolute line in person really hope they blow me away or I may go for a reference kit. Not that I think stages should be in that class it was all the changes that had me thinking I might get out cheap.

Lol I would put yamaha old school BD spurs on anything I love them just so well made. My rock tours have a different one not sure if it's the same as the stage customs or not but if it is I do like the older ones more. The weight I can see how anyone would want lighter drums if there gigging I am not just a basement drummer here. Waiting to see the new absolute line in person really hope they blow me away or I may go for a reference kit. Not that I think stages should be in that class it was all the changes that had me thinking I might get out cheap.

Yep...Agree!...Yamaha's high end spurs are the best in the business!...wouldn't trade them for any other ones that come to mind...

Not only ordered a rare black Groove Wedge for my Phoenix snare, but a friend popped up with a NOS last Red Oak 8x7 from the factory to complete my rig.

Should be here in late September. A few moths later my own designed Red Oak Remo Graphic bassdrum head should be here too. Kinda stoked!

10494807_10204342459381204_7003259308995856875_n.jpg

Yep...Agree!...Yamaha's high end spurs are the best in the business!...wouldn't trade them for any other ones that come to mind...

Eghhhh. Of all the BD spurs I've put my hands on, YAMAHA's hi end ones are some of the worst. Not to mention they're prone to breakage under heavy use.

On my STAGE CUSTOMS I can open both spurs at once, one in ea hand, can't do that with my MAPLE CUSTOM spurs. Also my GRETSCH examples have wing nuts for height adjustment, a luxury, not a key operated hassle like YAMAHA.

Doh de doh, take your key out front to adjust your BD spurs... lame.

Not sure if you're serious about the spurs.

But I really like the ones on my Stage Customs too. I've got the previous version and I guess they changed them a little on the 2014's. I haven't seen them to compare yet though.

Back