DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE

Gallop Double Bass Problem

Im trying to do the Gallop double bass beat like the Funeral for a friend song streetcar-Megadeths Devils Island etc-im having trouble with leading with the left foot every other time eg R LRL RLR LRL RLR LRL..

Should i be starting with 2 rights??..

Re: Gallop Double Bass Problem

That seems to work with practise...i guess i would just do the two rights at the end of 8 bars/medium length sequence typically?

Why would you lead with your left? That makes no sense. Think of it as 16th notes.

RLRLRLRLRLRLRLRL

Now, just get rid of a few L's...

R RLR RLR RLR RL

Your right foot is now just doing straight 8th notes and the left foot plays every second one. MUCH easier to play than what you're trying to do...

This is how I personally would play it, but I think what I posted above is more logical for most drummers.

L RRL RRL RRL RRL RR

hey man i had the same problem with " becoming " by pantera that beat pretty much forces you to lead with your right then left because of the speed of the song

R RLR LR LRL RL LRL

that one drove me nuts but let me tell you i feel ive gotten much better by learning to lead with either foot, just play it slow till your muscles memorize the movement, the rest will fall into place.

Re: Drumprogressive's double bass grooves

Class A Drummer said:
yes, but you need to know how to do heel toe... any help on that? im stuck lol.

There are tons of videos explaining the heel toe technique all over this forum...check them out.

Re: THE DOUBLE BASS TECHNIQUE THREAD

Playing different grooves over d.b. grooves can help playing d.b. grooves and independence eg 8th then Quarter Notes with the Ride Cymbal while playing a continuous RLRLRLRLRL

Playing the gallop 'maiden style' pattern and changing to straight 8th note d.b. as above i find gives more control

If you have trouble to endurance, a few things i did was put weights on ankles and then take them off after a few hours and the difference is immense. Also try running or a high impact sport which will build your leg muscles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA4Sq...orge kollias

This is a video of george kollias from "nile" where he explains that he uses his ancle to play at very high speeds, so he does the motion of heel down but he lifts up his heel a little bit. But if I trie this, its more lik i play flams on the bassdrum can anyone help me. I posted this on other threads and forums and someone said you have to practise it slow but like he said on the video, there are several levels and if you practise slow you do it on level 1. Does it incrase your speed in level 3 ?

PS I'm sorry for the bad enlish

Warning; long post. It's either just me rambling, or finn's long-postedness has rubbed off on me.

Yes, practicing this stuff slow really helps. Try and get it as slow as you can without losing most of the momentum. Start at level one, and just work on it. Don't rush it, this is a key point. Learn good technique, don't learn a bad one and only practice it at high speeds.

I realised last night that my foot [both feet] does not accept the rebound at all (barely). Luckily, I've only been playing for about 3 years, and haven't focused too drastically on my feet, so it shan't be too hard to correct it. A huge key to success: do not rush speed. Speed comes through relaxation, the notes will sound faster if they are clean, too. Just send a lot of time getting even (haha, "don't get fast, get even" - the speed demon's motto) strokes, clean strokes. Once you get this down well enough, start practicing accents for control etc. Then knock the BPM up a bit.

Don't rush it- your muscles and drumming will thank you for it. I think you will find you will have a lot more fun and find drumming a lot more fun if you are relaxed. Imagine rolling down the kit (or on the bass drum), spreading notes evenly like butter, beautiful even sounding notes, almost effortlessly. Then imagine struggling to belt out uneven, sloppy notes, all tense, at the same speed. Picture this, and then choose which method you would prefer; Rushing and tense, or taking it slowly and relaxed and even.

The reason I'm trying to emphasize this is because I know how hard it can be to resist the temptation of rushing. Just realise that going slow, means you will be cleaner and faster.

I hope that helps.

It's funny, before i read your reaction I just played 16th notes at tempo 100bpm. I think it's an exercise of mangini.

One thing i've noticed with my playing is that my left foot doesnt seem to want to keep the beat. it gums up when i go above 120-130 bpm, which is tragically slow. one thing that may affect this is that the spring on my double foot pedal's left mallet spring is not as elastic as the right one. can i buy replacement springs?

Chip said:
Warning; long post. It's either just me rambling, or finn's long-postedness has rubbed off on me.

Yes, practicing this stuff slow really helps. Try and get it as slow as you can without losing most of the momentum. Start at level one, and just work on it. Don't rush it, this is a key point. Learn good technique, don't learn a bad one and only practice it at high speeds.

I realised last night that my foot [both feet] does not accept the rebound at all (barely). Luckily, I've only been playing for about 3 years, and haven't focused too drastically on my feet, so it shan't be too hard to correct it. A huge key to success: do not rush speed. Speed comes through relaxation, the notes will sound faster if they are clean, too. Just send a lot of time getting even (haha, "don't get fast, get even" - the speed demon's motto) strokes, clean strokes. Once you get this down well enough, start practicing accents for control etc. Then knock the BPM up a bit.

Don't rush it- your muscles and drumming will thank you for it. I think you will find you will have a lot more fun and find drumming a lot more fun if you are relaxed. Imagine rolling down the kit (or on the bass drum), spreading notes evenly like butter, beautiful even sounding notes, almost effortlessly. Then imagine struggling to belt out uneven, sloppy notes, all tense, at the same speed. Picture this, and then choose which method you would prefer; Rushing and tense, or taking it slowly and relaxed and even.

The reason I'm trying to emphasize this is because I know how hard it can be to resist the temptation of rushing. Just realise that going slow, means you will be cleaner and faster.

I hope that helps.

Excellent post Chip!!! I practice very slowly for a good portion of my practice time. My feet can fly under control because I paid my dues practicing properly

When I started double bass I was trying to play fast. I did that intell I gave up and just started learning it at slow tempos. Then a guitar player I worked with got me using his metradome. Evey drummer should use a metradome. The sooner the better. I would get pissed when someone sit down and pull out some double bass faster then me when they are not even drummers. But what I learned is that if there was no consistentcy to it. My double bass was slow but in perfect time. I just slowly work my way up. I warm up with a metradome and fallow double bass patterns. And another tip is work on 4s and 8ts and so on. That will force you to improve your speed while staying in time. But remember. Get a metradome. More so if plane on recording double base work.

In the beginning of this thread there are people who say you have to look on the homepage of dave lombardo. I think he updated his site and he deleted those excercises. Is there anyone who has those excercises?

Hi my fellow Bros of DrummerWorld

Rudi had just got a Tama Double Bass Drum Pedal (not Iron Cobra - but a normal one)from his Instructor for just USD31.00 and since his Instructor is leaving for Europe for 6 weeks, Rudi is practicing Double Bass Drum Techniques using Modern Drummer July & Aug Issue article on Double Bass Training - just simple ones and of course - How can Rudi miss this thread - It's informative for me.

Never expect to be into Double Bass - but ....It's really fun and I love it....

There is a very simple way to speed up the solidness of your double bass drums. The key is accents and flams. Simple, slow, but well executed double strokes, single triplets, while throwing accents around will strengthen up your double bass chops faster than any method I have tried. Here is a starter.

Triplets ( w/Accents ):
R L R L R L R L R L R L
> > > >
R L R L R L R L R L R L
> > > >
R L R L R L R L R L R L
> > > >
R L R L R L R L R L R L ( very difficult and should be done slowly )
> > > > > > > >

Also. Incorporate flam rudiments. Flam accents work well with double bass. You'll have to check out some music scores for flam accents since writing them out is difficult without notation. However, mix up the accents in flam accents. Other flam excersizes are also good: Flamaques, Flam-d-diddles ( excellent ), Flam Tap, etc. etc. etc.

Good luck!

Oh crumb. The accent marks are not centered right. Let me just quickly summarize.

For single stroke triplets. Have the accents on 2. Also try it with accent on 1, and the ever harder 1, and 3. One should be able to extrapolate from here.

Good luck!!!

dea said:
Oh crumb. The accent marks are not centered right. Let me just quickly summarize.

For single stroke triplets. Have the accents on 2. Also try it with accent on 1, and the ever harder 1, and 3. One should be able to extrapolate from here.

Good luck!!!

Dea

When you mentioned Accent...The way to execute it means what?...(I'm new into this). Does Accenting the Bass Drum means you stamp it harder (that's all) or there is a Techniques to do it like hand techniques. for Accenting & Ghosting?...

Thks

NEVER get burned; I play in a progressive metal band; the other members of the band don't seem to get that drummers need special care :D . Try to play as relaxed as possible; sometimes practicing too much (double bass) will lead to burning your muscles and then you lose that "feel" and grip on the pedals.

Back