16 Bar Snare Solos?

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I've recently joined a rock band, and rather than doing the typical free-time do a whole bunch of crap rock solo that rock drummers do, I want to approach it more like a jazz solo, just in a rock context. So basically 16 (or 32) bars of a drum solo "in-time" with the bass and maybe another rhythm instrument comping the form underneath.

I want to utilize different types of solos, and I won't really have a problem with creating most of them. But I want one of my solos that I can pull up to be more of a rudimentary based solo focused just on the snare (aside from me pumping quarters on my feet). I've looked everywhere on this site, the only transcription I found that pertained to my liking was the Buddy Rich transcription for Bugle Call, which, while badass and one I'd love to learn anyway, doesn't really match the tempos of any of our songs (something that could be played in the 130-160 range).

Any ideas out there? I'm a fairly competent rudimental drummer, so even if its fairly difficult I'd love to learn it. Obviously I'm not Blue Devils snare captain level, but I'm pretty open to some good transcriptions that I can use, and maybe modify or take from multiple solos into something original to me.

Back