Best online place to buy gear

T

The Old Hyde

I used to use Midwest Percussion to buy all of my gear. It was free shipping over 50 and always 15 to 20% off of my orders over 100 dollars. does anyone else offer good deals online?

I've had good luck with American Musical Supply. Their prices are competitive with the other online sites and their service is top notch. My orders have always arrived on or before they said it would.

I've had good luck with:

Memphis Drum Shop
Steve Weiss Music
Greenbrier Music (they go out of their way to correct a problem if one occurs).
Music123 / Musician's Friend

For used gear
1. Ebay
2. Guitar Center's used site
3. Music go round

For new,
1.Dale's - I bought a Sonor 3007 from Dale's Drum Shop in PA (I also live in PA) and there price was head and shoulders lower or maybe I should say ankles and feet lower then anyone else. : )
2. Greenbrier..they will give you a great price, usually better then anyone else. I got an 18" HHX evolution ozone brand new for $189.. a year or so back..plus as said by Muckster they will work with you.

Interstate Music is my usual go-to for most things. They have a great selection, good prices, and excellent customer service.
I've bought a couple cymbals from Greenbrier, and they have been very easy to deal with each time.

Thanks for the info everyone. I will check out each one!

I will say I've had nothing but issues with Guitar Center and online orders and shipping.

I recently bought a Vater Vintage Bomber Beater because I had a 10.00 certificate for completing a survey about them. Its taken them 3 weeks to ship it because it was backordered even though no less than 2 other shops in town have it in stock.

I can deal with that from time to time but the high school drumline I teach has historically bought items from Music and Arts, which is owned by Guitar Center. We continually experienced the same delays with percussion equipment. When I need something in the Fall, I need it within a week if not immediately. It always took 4 weeks or more to deliver anything we ordered. We won't be using them this next year.

otherwise, I've personally had good experiences with Greenbrier from eBay purchases. I can also recommend www.mycymbal.com. I bought a set of cymbals from them recently and got great service.

I do find Music Go Round's shipping prices to be outrageously high. I was sort of interested in a used Catalina Club jazz kit listed at a store in PA. The thing was only 300 bucks and they wanted another 150.00 to ship it.

I recently purchased some things from Musicians Friend and it was not pleasant, so I cancelled part of my order and went with Zzounds and it went well. I used to always use Midwest and never had a problem, or a problem with eBay.

DFD - Drumfactorydirect. Good stuff, pronto shipping, great pricing.

Ive used these guys for a few years now with nary a hiccup.

F

I recently purchased some things from Musicians Friend and it was not pleasant, so I cancelled part of my order and went with Zzounds and it went well. I used to always use Midwest and never had a problem, or a problem with eBay.
I miss Midwest, everyone lists a snare for the same price, they would too but because it was 300 bucks, you automatically got 15 percent off, and free shipping. NO ONE does that it seems.

DFD - Drumfactorydirect. Good stuff, pronto shipping, great pricing.

Ive used these guys for a few years now with nary a hiccup.
ouch!

F

how did I get quoted with an "ouch"? curious.

F

I use Amazon for drumming and guitar consumables; sticks, heads, strings, felts, maintenance, etc etc. I just do the Amazon Prime thing; it works and is consistent.

I have ordered a few complete shell packs from Amazon with superb results

One order out of many failed to arrive and I did an online chat with them and, BAM, it was replaced and shipped at no cost.

I've never had any issues with ordering online. I do look for who is offering free shipping at competitive prices though.

I order from Sweetwater when I can. Spectacular customer service and very fast shipping.
Greenbriar is good, too.

I try to stay away from Guitar Center and Musician's Friend.

Musician's Friend sucks from personal experience. Amazon is horribly organized. Having visited Memphis Drum Shop myself, and seeing how useless the employees were, I will never buy from them.
Tony at cymbalsonly.com is incredible. Everything else I buy locally, including some cymbals.

I buy from any dealer who stands behind his products and provides service after the sale. Character and integrity go a lot further than cheap prices.

Tony at cymbalsonly.com is incredible. Everything else I buy locally, including some cymbals.

+1 for Tony at cymbals.com!

IMHO,
Interstate Music is the next best site. They offer tiered discounts of 5-20% off,depending on the total amount of your order. Not exactly what midwest used to offer, but its comparable if you order a decent amount of stuff. I've used them many times, and they are always solid. Never disappointed with them, and they always stand behind the stuff they sell.
I also like Drums, etc. in PA. They have great prices, and service, but the website is a slightly harder to use.
Musician's Friend is ok. Pretty good service, and you can occasionally get some real bargains off their site.
Music123 is another decent site.
Sweetwater has great customer service, although they don't have as much inventory or carry that many brands though.
Other than that, ebay and guitar center "used".

Back