Post Your Greatest Weakness ?

How many of you drummers play double bass ?

• Total voters
1. Rudiments
2. Right and Left foot independence
3. Single Foot Doubles ( I play one bass pedal, no double bass)
4. Reading Music

double kick needs alot of work

tempo at slow speeds

consistancy at high speeds

stuck, at times, in a "one feel, one approach" to everything. same fills,similiar beats and so on. when i practice jazz this is the case, where i think id be more free to do whatever, improvise, in doing the same routines,same remembered parts in mixed succesion. same deal with rock beats if there are 2 songs at similiar tempos. i catch myself repeating the same stuff.

more for loud playing, not enough focus on quiet stuff and the mixing of the two. i literally bash out swing parts on instinct. i need better volume control.

bassdrum accents with either single or double kick

hands are way ahead of feet

i also have a tendency to, when working on a song, to match beats per notes thruout a song, moreso than give the song room and support the guitars differently. i dont have to follow everything so forcibly.

Left hand and my double bass although Im not really a metal player I would like to be able to double bass

I didn't make this up, Did you ever hear that saying ...

"You'll only get out, what you put into it...it's true !!!!

Multitasking..ha ha lolz

I'm a newbie to drumming through =)
I just find it hard to keep a steady beat with my bass drum and snare and then hit something else say for instance a crash and keep that going as well. I think too much about one thing going so what ever i'm trying to do with my other hand just well..stops lolz

I'm sure in time i'll get better though =)

Lee Mangano said:
Practicing Listed is concentration, lack of, it's an effort, no inspiration
A: I was surprised how many drummers were honest enough to even mention they weren't practicing enough etc...I bow to your honesty but have to question how important are the drums & music really to you...and what level do you really want to reach as far as goals & achievments & or accomplishments ? Thats all up to you....no one esle can answer that question for you...

See all the problems listed above & in all these posts.....Practice is the "ONLY way you will conquor these problems & solve your weaknesses...unless you are a natural prodegy

Peace! & have a "Great" day...Lee

Practice is my biggest issue, and the cause of this is a negative mindset, which is what I would label as my biggest weakness. My goals are quite lofty, and the gap between my goals and my current skill level is quite large. This lends itself, in my case, to major discouragement. Everytime I sit down, all I see is everything I can't do, that I want to be able to do. So, I definetely need to work on this somehow, and I think its just by enjoying the drums again, and forgetting about everyone else...

Blue said:
Practice is my biggest issue, and the cause of this is a negative mindset, which is what I would label as my biggest weakness. My goals are quite lofty, and the gap between my goals and my current skill level is quite large. This lends itself, in my case, to major discouragement. Everytime I sit down, all I see is everything I can't do, that I want to be able to do. So, I definetely need to work on this somehow, and I think its just by enjoying the drums again, and forgetting about everyone else...

Blue..

Thanx Blue...you just stated for everyone with a practice issue the most common problem "Discouragement" and the feeling of stabilty & not improvement gets frustrating & your mind shuts down...

I suggest to all...keep searching & try to find new ways to practice & improve your skill...it's like a new girlfriend or boyfriend..the feeling is strong when new & diminishes as time goes by...keep trying new things to keep your interest & the love for your instrument "Alive"...from Dear Mary !!! LOL

My feet are awful, And im kinda slow on the hands.

My biggest weakness is when I hit the practice "wall" as I call it. I've gotten through it before, but right now I can't find the door (I should write a song about it!). Anyways, when I first started drumming I soared almost vertically up in skill, because everything I did made me noticably better. Then I hit a wall, it felt like I was going nowhere, I didn't know what to practice, how to practice it, and for how long. Finally I found the right thing and it opened a "door" leading to many other doors, and I watched myself get better, not as fast as when I first started mind you, but I noticed the increase of chops and such. Now I'm stuck here again, but I'll get through. Another big thing for me is that I can't see myself getting better, but I know that I am. There's so much to practice now that it's all just adding up to a big picture. But when you're zeroing in on things, sometimes it's so subtle, that I myself don't even notice that I did it. Anyways, happy drumming, I'm going to practice :D.

Zackman said:
My biggest weakness is when I hit the practice "wall" as I call it. I've gotten through it before, but right now I can't find the door (I should write a song about it!). Anyways, when I first started drumming I soared almost vertically up in skill, because everything I did made me noticably better. Then I hit a wall, it felt like I was going nowhere, I didn't know what to practice, how to practice it, and for how long. Finally I found the right thing and it opened a "door" leading to many other doors, and I watched myself get better, not as fast as when I first started mind you, but I noticed the increase of chops and such. Now I'm stuck here again, but I'll get through. Another big thing for me is that I can't see myself getting better, but I know that I am. There's so much to practice now that it's all just adding up to a big picture. But when you're zeroing in on things, sometimes it's so subtle, that I myself don't even notice that I did it. Anyways, happy drumming, I'm going to practice :D.

i get something similiar when you feel you are about to learn a set of moves that you are not concious of, be it a combination of snare and bass hits in a certain beat and tempo, a kind of rudiment or a passage of strokes that are elusive when improvising.even a simple, small like quark thats not very significant but just trips you up etc.

when you get close to this new, foriegn material your playing is sabatoged at that tempo, in that context until you can do what your limbs want to do,meanwhile your mind is confused cause the learning is not intentional, so you think you are just having a bad day"why am i slipping?, i should know this". you are simply arriving at a point where the the body needs the brain to "reign it in"

its like the wall you speak of, a mental block that until you can control this strange input from your limbs. i get this once and awhile and i figure everyone does. its like a key to open a door that will incorperate the new data and stabilize your playing for a time until the next wave. but literally itll take weeks, sometimes months to get there and in those weeks you are like

"wtf is wrong with my playing!"

Timing on fills... playing along with a click, generally. Also, the more intricate my parts get with my hands and left foot, the more my right foot tends to drift.

Back