New record out. with pics (istanbul, ludwig etc)

Retrovertigo

what does it take to get people to notice a thread. I hope that title works... anyway, Me and my guys just released a record called Monument and you can download the whole thing for free. It's along the lines of The MC5, Hendrix, Black Sabbath and some Pentagram. It's a not a pretty sounding record but I love it! hope you guys can check it out.

It was a very minimal mic setup. 3 drum mics, 3 on guitar (only one was used for the mix) and one on bass. Almost no overdubs. We tracked it live in one room without headphones. I was SO happy to get to record this way, it really felt great! It was cut to a computer, dumped to tape really hard, and returned to a computer for mixing.

the drums are 13, 16, 24 3ply ludwigs from different years, a supraphonic, and 15, 20, and 22 Istanbul Agop Om's. I didnt want to be that guy with the matching cymbals but i just love the sound of these cymbals. I bought them one at a time over a few years and they were always my favorite.

https://bigterrible.bandcamp.com/album/monument

Last edited:
It sounds pretty darn good. I listened to part of several tracks, and yes I can hear a Sabbath influence. I think you drums sound good, although the kick sound is not one I would want for me, but it sounded fine with your band. I thought everything blended well. All the instruments and vocals sound great, as well as the performances. Good job. You should be proud of that recording.

I'm really torn on this. I love your playing, the band vibe, the energy, the songs, but I can't figure out why the drums & bass guitar are lacking richness / bottom end compared to the 6 string & vocal treatment. It's almost like the rhythm section has been placed in a deliberately thin mono space as a production choice? I could better understand the choice if all elements used the same vibe as a retro nod or similar. Overall, I think it's very enjoyable - refreshing even. maybe I just need to let it get inside me a bit.

Quality stuff dude! I'm really diggin that, sounds a bit like Wolfmother...

Thanks for taking the time to listen guys. It was an intense labor of love and I absolutely appreciate you guys taking the time to listen (and then comment no less!)

I mixed the record and the decision to minimize the drums was a conscious one. i find that most of the records i really love have very odd mixes. (hendrix, the stooges, early Led Zep, MC5 and so on) its the odd elements that sort of endear me to those records (and the songs of course!). it caused me to listen to those records very deeply. so i set out to go a little against my own intuition. its was a fight to not make the drums sound as big and full as possible. also, Im just not a big fan of sub bass (like 80hz and below) for this sort of material.

Interesting stuff, and considering the end product you were going for I would say you nailed it! It is so hard these days to stay away from making everything sound massive and hifi, because its so easy to do. I can really appreciate what you were going for and how you got there, it's impressive.

Tight drumming by the way

Back