1979 Yamaha 9000 + sound sample

Simbe

1979 Yamaha 9000

Hi!
Here's some pictures of my drums, now with wood hoops. The old topic got already removed.

24563.jpg

11471.jpg

Here's something new, a 26" kick.

1200x900PP.jpg

Last edited:
wood hoops make drums rock! how ever i like the claw kind alittle better. keep rockin man, the set looks very cool and clean.

haha matt cameron rules! i never knew he did anything like that

Very nice kit! Does it have any relation to the Recording custom?

Very nice kit! Does it have any relation to the Recording custom?

Thanks!
Yes it does, the Recording custom is also known as the 9000 series. This older version maybe had slightly thicker shells and rounder bearing edges than the current model. Still they have 100% birch shells and they were made using the "air seal" technique.

The bass drums are 8 ply birch, 18" floor tom is 7 ply and the rest of the drums are 6 ply. The high tension lugs on my drums are spring loaded with felt pieces inside to prevent the springs from rattling. In the current model there are no springs.

Last edited:
I really like that kit. How do you find the wood hoops impact on the birch shells? Can you describe the change?
Cheers
Cam

I really like that kit. How do you find the wood hoops impact on the birch shells? Can you describe the change?
Cheers
Cam

I think they make the higher overtones a little bit drier. There used to be an almost metallic tone to the sound that was just barely noticeable. The drums now resonate more as a whole. It's a wonderfully full toned sound. The different wood type doesn't matter that much, I think.

Your kit is amazing , and i know that it's sound great , i own a Yamaha BCA and there is no other kit for me .
Yamaha drums are amazing , even the low end kit's sound's great , their hardware are the best ... and the prices are also nice.
take care

I love your kit. Those RC / 9000 shells in natural birch look just perfect. Specially with the wood hoops.

Are they the Yamaha hoops? And did you fit the entire kit with wood hoops, or just the three toms in the top picture?

Mind telling me the sizes of the drums in the wood hoop set-up? Also, how much did it cost to change the hoops?

Thanks.

I love your kit. Those RC / 9000 shells in natural birch look just perfect. Specially with the wood hoops.

Are they the Yamaha hoops? And did you fit the entire kit with wood hoops, or just the three toms in the top picture?

Mind telling me the sizes of the drums in the wood hoop set-up? Also, how much did it cost to change the hoops?

Thanks.

Thanks, Katman!

Yes, they are Yamaha vintage wood hoops. I have hoops for all the drums except for the 18" floor tom. Also, the bottom hoop on the 13"x9" tom is a snare bottom hoop, so I will change that one later.
I bought the hoops used for average of 60 euros per pair.

The drum sizes on the wood hoop setup are 12"x8", 14"x10" and 16"x16" toms plus 22"x14" bass drum with birch hoops from Highwood drum company. I am probably going to get some natural finish maple hoops for it later now that I have maple hoops on toms. The original hoops on that drum were pretty much destroyed by the original owner.

I wish Yamaha would make 9000 series kits in Real wood or Vintage natural colour again. I have been looking for a 26"x14" bass drum for my kit.

Last edited:
Back