Best drumming album of all time?

Thomas

Administrator
Staff member
What single album had the most technically and musically excellent drumming that tied the music together while advancing style and still rocking your socks off?

I suggest Rush - Moving Pictures. Neil Peart took drumming to new heights with this album. If you can listen to "YYZ" without tapping your feet, beating your hands on your legs, and nodding your head, you have no pulse.

Bonus Trivia Question: Do you know what the significance of the letters "YYZ" is in reference to the song?

Tool- Lateralus

Danny Carey's technical, emotional, and beautiful drumming really makes this album what it is. You must give it a listen.

king crimson- discipline
the mars volta- de-loused in the comatorium
bill bruford's earthworks- the sound of suprise

and just to emphasize it: Lateralus

John Coltrane's A Love Supreme with Elvin Jones on drums. That album will be played repeatedly at my funeral. Elvin rips it up so hard on this album and manages to comp the other players so well it makes me sick.

Joe Morris said:
Michel Camilo. Album name "One more Once" Drummer Cliff Almond. Latin instrumental music at its best. Check it out.

Cool, but not the best. Although I love Cliff/Smitty's playing on that album, a lot of it is really quite busy, when it shouldn't. Saying that, Caribe is a masterpiece.

It's so hard to choose cos no album is perfect IMO. I'll think about this....

Aja is defintely a great album for Steely Dan. The solo that Gadd executes on the song Aja is probably the most well known drums solos. If you get a chance take a listen to Pretzel Logic. The drumming is off the hook. Jeff Porcaro, Jim Keltner, and Jim Gordon. The quality of the recording in my opnion is sonicly better than Aja.

hey all, I'd reccomend any GHS (frank gambale, stu hamm and the man himself steve smith), "show me what you can do" is really good instrumentally but is damn good musically, all three flourish, listen to it, very inspireing.
Colin, Lateralus is beyond drumming pheonominally spiritual !!

Jimi Hendrix: Are You Experienced? Fire is one of the hardest songs i've heard
Led Zeppelin: Every album
Santana: 1st LP Soul Sacrifice is CRAZY, Michael Shrieve is sick, Rythym Section is one of a kind

I like Dave Weckl's "Master Plan". He overplays, of course, but it's some really good stuff. "Pretzel Logic" is maybe my favorite Steely Dan album: the drumming is fantastic, and for one off the beaten path: "Lagoon" by a band called Clouseaux has some really nice vibes work and drumset. I don't remember the drummer's name but the percussionist is John McClanian Best.

Reign In Blood by Slayer. Superb no nonsense mayhem. But very precise!

ameripino said:
king crimson- discipline
the mars volta- de-loused in the comatorium
bill bruford's earthworks- the sound of suprise

and just to emphasize it: Lateralus

Hey, I second, that I love Mars Volta, that album is so good. Its just so different and innovative. The drumming propels the entire band into a whole different realm.

This is cool you guys are saying some of my favorite albums I've ever heard. Santana's Soul Sacrifice is absolutely amazing. I have the live version of that cd and you can hear every ghost note and all the layers of cingas, bongos, and latin percussion.

The Art Blakey album with the jazz messangers is really good too. I Iisten to that album at twice a weak, sooo good!

Back